closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 7548 - a classic on a budget

Seiko 7548 - a classic on a budget

I have a Sea Dweller 16600, owned for 10 years since new, and I admire it about as much as anything watch related. It's terrific. Capable. Well-designed. Classic. Historical. Functional. Timeless. It's not going anywhere, either.

Recently I been wearing this 1982-vintage Seiko 7548-7000, on a modern Seiko bracelet. The bracelet is a bit thin and rattly (folded end-links), but suits the vintage and fits perfectly. The watch itself is in very fine condition for its 35 years of age.

Cheaper (by a very long way!) but if anything a bit rarer than the SD. Admittedly, with Seiko on the dial it will never be the sought-after-icon/clichéd-wrist-trophy for the successful/parvenu (delete as per viewpoint). Regardless of cost and humble nature, it seems equally as interesting and worthy to me.

If you can overlook this lack of socio-economic signalling (or perhaps actively want to) it is surely terrific in its own right. How might I put it? Capable. Well-designed. Classic. Historical. Functional. Timeless!

A nice classic, available at a reasonable price. It's not going anywhere, either.

Master
    I quite agree- I don't wear mine enough (I'm frightened to damage it)

I love them too, got several, in fact Ive been wearing one for the last few weeks.

It is indeed a classic and as you point out, can be worn without attracting attention if that's what you desire.

I had a stunning example a couple of years ago that I bought from Chris Rennie and, if I'm really honest, I didn't appreciate it at the time for the classic it is and foolishly sold it.

Master
    Nice watch. Bracelet looks a lot newer than the watch vintage though, looks almost like a cheap bracelet I got on my 009 about 5 years ago.

I think the older Seiko Quartz divers are going to gather some real pace in the value stakes!

I've a few older quarts Seiko divers and love them, I've noticed how much they're rising in price in recent months. I think the prices of the top old automatics have gone so high it's dragging everything else with it, can't afford X, look at Y and so on.

Yes, the bracelet is about 3 decades more junior than the watch. It suits it though. I think whether you can afford the automatic version, or something from Rolex, this is still a good classic watch by itself. That's kind of my point. It seems some days Watch Talk is all about investment, price rises, getting on the Rolex ladder. As though interesting pieces are now beyond all but the affluent.

I would differ, and offered this an example. Even the affluent might find a place for it.

Paul

I do like a vintage seiko.. wearing one of mine today;

From December 1980, I have a Pepsi from the same date too

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Yes, the bracelet is about 3 decades more junior than the watch. It suits it though. I think whether you can afford the automatic version, or something from Rolex, this is still a good classic watch by itself. That's kind of my point. It seems some days Watch Talk is all about investment, price rises, getting on the Rolex ladder. As though interesting pieces are now beyond all but the affluent.

I would differ, and offered this an example. Even the affluent might find a place for it.

Paul
    I couldn't agree more..

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    I do like a vintage seiko.. wearing one of mine today;

From December 1980, I have a Pepsi from the same date too
    Perfection!

I'd take this over the modern auto equivalents every day of the week.

Master

Question

I have a Pepsi that I had TST'd Im now considering whether to revert it back to a 700B and I have a spare 7548 case (without caseback).
    Last edited by lewie; 26th April 2017 at 11:06.

Master

Question

I have a Pepsi that I had TST'd Im now considering whether to revert it back to a 700B and I have a spare 7548 case (without caseback).

Master

Question

I'm sure you are aware Lewie , most Seiko screw down case backs of the era ( e.g. From a 5 will fit your case.

Master
    Yeh thanks Jase I have a couple of 7546 dress cases- I think I also have the original(unlumed) hands (as this one has 007 hands fitted

I have to agree. There's something about the classic 7548 series that makes them a joy to collect and wear. Right now they're still affordable and easy to maintain. I think the same can be said for the later 7c43 divers also. Here are mine:

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cannot get enough of 7548 (bottom row) and 7C43 (top),

Think there's been one or two additions since I took that picture.
    Great watches.

Nice bezel on the Pepsi Stefan 😀👍
    Great collection.
    Cheers..
    Jase