closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hommage to an Explorer 2

Hommage to an Explorer 2

I succumbed to the lure of Rolex about a year ago: an Explorer 2 from Sales Corner, on a NATO with no box or papers, and a reported service history. It’s replaced everything else.

I’m not happy about this. I wanted to be distantly interested, but eventually disdainful. I even use a story about the value pricing which Rolex practices in the lectures on purchasing I give, and point out that for a tenth of the price of a Rolex, a well designed product, with a swiss movement, often built in Germany although designed in Sheffield, is available. The other 90% is, presumably, marketing and profit.

But it’s there. Sat on my wrist, or peering at me from the corner of the desk if I’m in heavy typing mode. I’m using it as an everyday watch, on its more recent bracelet now. It’s travelled round the world with me, where the easy GMT hand setting comes in. The generally excellent timekeeping (except at high altitude and cold, suggesting a lube problem) stops me playing with it. It’s not large, or particularly flashy. More unassuming. It goes to formal dinners, and sailing and motorcycling and cycling. It times eggs and lectures.

The lume holds up well, for a 90’s watch. I like looking at it.

Objectively, it’s no better than the PRS82 it supplanted. I still love the 82, and it gets worn regularly. However, the Explorer 2 always comes back.

I can’t really explain it. I think a lot is the case, which is small and finely balanced ( although less beautiful than my shortly to depart PRS68). It weights little. The case diameter is unassuming but it fits me well.

Aside from the slight guilt of enjoying something which I thought was a needless extravagance, it’s an excellent watch and I can’t quite picture replacing it, or see it withdrawing to the back of the watch box. I did really want a GMT, but I can’t see it being twice as good as an Explorer 2, and the need has faded.

I’m surprised at myself.

(and there would be a photo, but photo bucket appears to have imploded again!)

Last edited by Hubs; 25th April 2017 at 21:56.

More of an ode than a homage:-)

It's got you!

(Typed whilst wearing a GMT!)

An excellent reflection on what I think is one of Rolex's best. I enjoyed your post

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to read from someone who initially believed it to be an extravagant purchase.
    But now wears it more and more and uses it for what it was designed to do.
    A lovely tale.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    More of an ode than a homage:-)
    Indeed. I was concerned for a moment that the legendary Monte Spiga may have competition

Craftsman
    One day I hope to feel this way about a watch I own. Enjoy it. It's like having married the perfect woman for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Indeed. I was concerned for a moment that the legendary Monte Spiga may have competition
    No matching that review!

Master
    I've been trying to make my mind up between this and the newer larger version and I still can't!

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I've been trying to make my mind up between this and the newer larger version and I still can't!
    Personally, I'd go 40mm, the larger one's not quite right to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    42. Smokes the 40mm version.

Master
    I swapped my 42 for a 40. One of my better watch-related decisions. Lighter, better size, plenty legible and a touch more discreet.

I thought this was going to be a thread about a Steinhart.

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    Or this lol

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    That could be arranged ;-)

(sitting here with my Ocean One Vintage GTM "Gunter" Ltd Edition, 42mm and gert lush)

Journeyman
    For me this model is the modern Rolex that still comes across as a finely machined tool (just like in it's heyday past) rather than today's overt jewelry bling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    For me this model is the modern Rolex that still comes across as a finely machined tool (just like in it's heyday past) rather than today's overt jewelry bling.
    Rolex? Overt jewellery bling? Don't be ridiculous

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

Also I made my comment in the full knowledge that wearing a thousands of pounds watch with ROLEX plastered on the dial might still possibly count as jewelry bling no matter how toolish the watch is. Just that finely machined tool watch bling seems cooler than shiny diamonds bling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    Also I made my comment in the full knowledge that wearing a thousands of pounds watch with ROLEX plastered on the dial might still possibly count as jewelry bling no matter how toolish the watch is. Just that finely machined tool watch bling seems cooler than shiny diamonds bling.
    Of course. My post was in jest.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

I have an overwhelming urge to put it in my mouth and suck it... all those different flavours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MAW View Post
    I have an overwhelming urge to put it in my mouth and suck it!!!
    Pm sent