closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The tale of two homages

The tale of two homages

I don't want to relitigate the case for and against homages and the differences between copies/fakes/replicas and homages. Just want to share my views on two homages I received this week.
    First is a Ginault Ocean Rover which is a homage to Rolex 16610 and the Squale Trolical GMT Ceramica which supposedly is a homage to a vintage Squale diver but ends up more like a copy of the Rolex Ceramic GMT master.
    I would urge you to check out the hyperbolic description of the watches on their respective websites. Squale goes to great lengths to claim that this is the first time that this kind of color combination has been done in a ceramic bezel and describes the process in detail. Ginault goes further and has a very cheesy write up on the website.
    The text on the Ginault diver says-Kinetic continuous which is somewhat hilarious. The movement in Squale is a 2893-2
    While Ginault makes some vague claims about a movement that was made 'in house' in USA and is some kind of a 2824 clone. Squale has a list price of $799 while Ginault has a list price of $1299. However,it was initially offered for $650 and even now offers a 45% discount if you post an online review. It has come under some criticism for this marketing practice but from what I hear they offer the discount upfront and are not enforcing the review requirement strictly. I approached both with healthy cynicism.
    But to be honest I am extremely impressed with both these watches.
    For all it's claims and silly text on the dial, Ginault is the best looking and best quality Sub homage/copy I have come across. From the dial to the bracelet,glid lock clasp, crown bezel action and lume- it is the business. The screw threads on bracelet are the best I have seen in a micro brand. I would gladly pay the full price. Extremely impressed with this one.
    The Ceramic Squale is also extremely well done and is something different with a blingy polished case and ceramic bezel but a fun vintage look. Slightly bigger at 43mm but a manageable 49 mm lug to lug length and curved lugs, it doesn't wear big. Again excellent lume and I quite like the colors here.
    In short inspite of my initial cynicism and ambivalence about homages/copies I am quite impressed with these two and will gladly wear them.

Some quick pics.

image upload no registration
    Last edited by RAJEN; 25th April 2017 at 21:04.

Master
    nice lookers.

Do you buy all these watches as you see them or do you receive them to try out? I'm still waiting for a SOTC from you!

Both nice watches Raj and with my dabbling with Steinhart I certainly couldnt knock homage Watches. They have their place and their price point.

Looking at the two watches, if you could put the minute and hour hands from the Squale onto the Ginault that would work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I'm still waiting for a SOTC from you!
    I don't think Eddie has the capacity, it would break the internet

You know my views on homages Raj, but I have to say I really like the Squale, it remains just different enough to a Rolex GMT to be on the right side of my moral compass. 👍
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I don't think Eddie has the capacity, it would break the internet
    I'll settle for a highlight reel.

Out of the two the Ginault ticks all the boxes.And I don't normally get drawn to non date watches.

I don't mind the Squale, but the Ginault I feel would have looked a lot better without so much text on the dial and I find the terms a little strange, Kinetic continuous, submersible maritime, precision chronometer? I guess Rolex is guilty of this too on some dials but still.

Both nice watches Raj and with my dabbling with Steinhart I certainly couldnt knock homage Watches. They have their place and their price point.

Looking at the two watches, if you could put the minute and hour hands from the Squale onto the Ginault that would work for me.
    IMO, Ginault is in a different league in terms of execution. Steinhart are fine but Ginault seems much better executed.

We have heard of the legend of a luminescent material that is not a product from the Swiss RC Tritec, the lume company, and is so expensive only the top antique clock and pocket watch restorers could afford and would be interested in using on their masterpieces. We travelled far to acquire this unique luminescent material.
    Class.

There was speculation on WUS that the Ginault is made by an apparently well-know fake maker, presumably trying to 'go legit.' The arguments went back and forth about whether this was the case and became quite boring, so I lost interest.

Watch looks good though.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You know my views on homages Raj, but I have to say I really like the Squale, it remains just different enough to a Rolex GMT to be on the right side of my moral compass. 
    This probably sums up my feelings as well, homage = near as makes little odds copy,

Great watches there Raj. Fair play, you do have great taste when it comes to watches, and I'm very interested to read your thoughts on the Ginault. It has been a very polarising watch, and one which I have wondered if it really lives up to the hype regarding it's quality.
    i did have a Squale 1545 militaire, but has somehow ended up on my sons wrist. Could be a good excuse to pick one of these up for myself.

As for homages, I have never seen the harm in classic designs being reinterpreted if done well. Proof in the pudding being some of Eddie's excellent pieces.

I like homages and have a number - provided that the brand legend is on the dial I see no great issue.

These look like very nice pieces, as mentioned above I think that the Ginault has the edge.

Squale for me. I like the general aesthetic and that to the non-WIS it's unlikely to be recognised as GMT inspired.

I couldn't wear the other one as it's so obviously a Sub-clone, even down to the text on the dial. One man's meat and all that but I find it quite depressing.

Master
    Raj any further thoughts ref the Ocean Rover, seems opinions are divided throughout the watch community- Must admit the watch intrigues me and at the discounted price seems like a gamble worth taking. Might of missed it but does it mention how long the warranty is?

Master
    Just received an ocean Rover. Very strong first impressions. Gorgeous inky black dial. Lovely size for my svelte wrist. As highlighted by Rajen, the crown action is exemplary. Bracelet tapers perfectly. Their glide lock system is superb.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

That was my immediate thought too. The Ginault looks cracking and has had a serious boon from Raj's write up, but to me the hour hand in the Ginault put me in mind of a bow tie on a victim of comedy electrocution, and now I just can't see past it....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    That was my immediate thought too. The Ginault looks cracking and has had a serious boon from Raj's write up, but to me the hour hand in the Ginault put me in mind of a bow tie on a victim of comedy electrocution, and now I just can't see past it....
    They're standard Rolex milsub design hands. I think the angle of the pics makes the hour hand look broader.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk