closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedmaster Moonwatch as a daily wear?

Apprentice

Speedmaster Moonwatch as a daily wear?

Hi guys,

Quick question to the Moonwatch owners, does anyone wear theirs as a daily wearer? I'm looking for a less conspicuous watch I can wear without fear of having my arm chopped off in London and have a real hankering for the Moonwatch. Is the hesalite ok with daily wear?

I have a SeaDweller that I wear only occasionally these days because it screams out Rolex and I find my self hiding it away as much as possible when I'm on the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It was my daily wearer for a couple of years before my collection started to expand, and its not any worse for it either.

Of course desk scruffs on the clasp and odd scratch on the Hesalite but they are both easily removed if needed using poly watch and 3M pads with good results.

It's a surprisingly easy watch to wear, slim(ish) profile means it sits well under cuffs and doesn't get caught on 'things', style is understated too which helps it blend.

...and of course you get to enjoy winding it everyday as it travels out with you into space

Some would say that the paltry 50mm water resistance makes it less practical as a daily but it's probably fine. I generally prefer 100m but I expect I worry about water ingress more than I need to.

I don't wear mine every day but i do wear it once or twice a week and i agree that it's pretty subtle......certainly a lot more subtle than my 8500 PO.

For max subtly i find a black leather strap makes it even more inconspicuous.

It has become my daily. I have a BLNR but it's quite a loud watch so 70% of the time wear the Speedy. Initially I didn't wear it that much because it doesn't have on the fly adjustments like Rolex sports watches but I fitted the sea master clasp and now I can't take it off. Haven't worn the BLNR in three weeks.

Only point to add is probably look at the sapphire model instead as every knock/scratch this hesalite gets hurts me and polywatch is great but doesn't fix everything.

As people have observed on here many times, in the real world no one notices or cares what you are wearing. I have worn my Silver Snoopy outside a several times and not a comment. I was even in Mappin and Webb in Chester with it on and they were so up their own a**es about trying to sell me a Rolex they didn't even notice or ask what I was wearing, which demonstrated to me that they were just sales people and not Watch enthusiasts.

It is easy to think, nice watch, must be careful - but it seems WIS people and scumbag robbers are the only people who will know what you have on your wrist.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakkajai View Post
    I have a SeaDweller that I wear only occasionally these days because it screams out Rolex and I find my self hiding it away as much as possible when I'm on the tube.

I would have thought the Submariner screams Rolex rather the the SD? I doubt if any non WIS would spot a SD as a Rolex without its cyclops.

Master
    If you really want to fly under the radar, consider a Grand Seiko; at least as well-built as a Rolex and to the rest of the world , just a humble Seiko.
    But I agree that no-one else could care less what watch we wear.

Craftsman
    A great watch to wear everyday. One point to consider is that you will need to wind it every day or so. I'm happy with my that, in fact I enjoy it, but if you are used to wearing autos you should take it into consideration. Plexi is no probs by the way and looks great!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Only point to add is probably look at the sapphire model instead as every knock/scratch this hesalite gets hurts me and polywatch is great but doesn't fix everything.
    Polywatch is a bit like using a carrot to bore through a mountain.

I've posted several times in the past about how to refinish acrylic crystals, polywatch is only any good for final finishing. Wet and dry paper around a rubber block, followed by metal polish and (finally) polywatch is the way to do it, but you have to accept it'll look worse before it looks better.

I'd have no hesitation in wearing a watch with an acrylic crystal routinely, but it pays to know how to refinish then when they pick up the inevitable scratches.

As for the water resistance, it's perfectly adequate.

Hand-winding?.........yes, it has to be done. Some of us grew up with hand-wound watches in the days before quartz watches existed.......it ain't rocket science . Wind it every morning
    when you put it on and every night when you take it off.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 25th April 2017 at 21:33.

The counter point to Paul's point is scratch a scratch resistant crystal (which many on here seem to do) or chip the edge or worse and it is back to the manufacturer, who may insist on a full service at the same time.

As others have pointed out, most people don't notice your watch.

Those with nefarious intentions will notice your fretting behaviour as more of a tell as to the value on your wrist; conversely,
    if you act like it's a knock-off it will become invisible.

Of course, if you can't find the mindset and/or insurance premium to become carefree, it might make sense to sell up and look to Seiko 5s, etc, for the pleasures of the hobby without what appears, for you, to be the stresses.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It is easy to think, nice watch, must be careful - but it seems WIS people and scumbag robbers are the only people who will know what you have on your wrist.
    This is very true, i have a few nice watches and the cheapest out of the lot gets the most attention, my Seagull 1969 seems to have the most admirers.

Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    A great watch to wear everyday. One point to consider is that you will need to wind it every day or so. I'm happy with my that, in fact I enjoy it, but if you are used to wearing autos you should take it into consideration. Plexi is no probs by the way and looks great!!!!
    The winding i actually dont mind so much the scratches can be painful, i even felt gutted when my Seagull 1969 got scratched, cant imagine the pain if it were a Speedie

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    If you really want to fly under the radar, consider a Grand Seiko; at least as well-built as a Rolex and to the rest of the world , just a humble Seiko.
    I've thought about alternatives such as the Sinn 104, Tudor Black Bay 36, Nomos Orion, Junghans Max Bill but i keep coming back to the Speedie.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I'd have no hesitation in wearing a watch with an acrylic crystal routinely, but it pays to know how to refinish then when they pick up the inevitable scratches.
    Paul
    Thanks, tips noted!!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It has become my daily. I have a BLNR but it's quite a loud watch so 70% of the time wear the Speedy. Initially I didn't wear it that much because it doesn't have on the fly adjustments like Rolex sports watches but I fitted the sea master clasp and now I can't take it off. Haven't worn the BLNR in three weeks.
    Such a classic. Great picture.

A watch to be worn.

Apprentice
    Another reason why I wear my Rolex less is because I see clients every day and don't want to give the impression I'm commission based and just after the sale. So I tend to opt for my gw5600 or Sinn6068 which both go unnoticed.

Craftsman
    I wore my Speedie as my daily watch for five years before I bought my BLNR last year. It's a fantastic watch, I still love it. I've put mine on a DiModel black leather strap and find it so comfortable to wear. Scratches on the hesalite add to its character, whilst the routine of picking it up in the morning and spending a minute or so with it in your hand, winding it up for the day is a great start to any day!

It's a great watch for sure. Having said that I find it hard to see any luxury watch as a daily wearer. I wear my stealthy and subtle Rolex Explorer 2 maybe 1-2 days a week, and the rest of the time it is G-Shock, Seiko or Vostok

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had a Speedy Pro with the hesalite crystal for 5 years or so, and loved it. It was my preferred business watch, because it fitted more comfortably under a shirt cuff than my Fortis B-42 Chronograph and was a little more traditional, sophisticated and understated than my Omega Seamaster Pro 2264, with the large numerals on the dive bezel.

The acrylic crystal wasn't a disadvantage - the look and feel of the dial is much nicer, strangely, than with the sapphire version - in fact, I sold it to someone as a replacement for the sapphire version he had.

I'd happily get another; the only downsides that I found were the relatively poor legibility of the 30-minute chronograph sub-dial, compared to a Lemania 5100 type centre minute chronograph, and the water-resistance. That is probably less of a problem with a new watch but mine was 12 years old, so, when I wanted to go and swim some laps at lunchtime, I had to take it off and put on something more waterproof - usually the Seamaster. Having said that, a friend has a Speedy Pro that he bought in 1968 for service in Vietnam (he was an artillery forward observer) and wore throughout his service, in the jungles and deserts, and still wears today, on the beach.

I replaced it with a Rolex GMT II, which has much better WR, and probably looks less obviously a Rolex, especially on a grey nylon NATO strap - which is actually quite a good way of dressing down any watch.

The flash salesman with the Rolex Sub is a movie cliche, though in the real world, few people pay any attention whatsoever to your choice of watch. Certainly, over the last couple of consulting projects I've undertaken for not-for-profit organisations, where there was nobody who was particularly well-paid, not one person of the 100+ people I spent time with ever commented or even looked at my Rolex.

Another reason why I wear my Rolex less is because I see clients every day and don't want to give the impression I'm commission based and just after the sale. So I tend to opt for my gw5600 or Sinn6068 which both go unnoticed.
    I work in sales and am commission based andd also wear a Rolex to work. Clients aren't the fear, quite a lot of them have Rolex and when it is mentioned it's in a good way. The fear I have is wearing it around the office and colleagues thinking I'm arrogant etc which is where the Speedy shines. Nice watch, no one has ever asked me what it cost. I do still wear the Rolex at the office but not as much as the Speedy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Some would say that the paltry 50mm water resistance makes it less practical as a daily but it's probably fine. I generally prefer 100m but I expect I worry about water ingress more than I need to.
    In case you fall into a pool on your way to work...?

Master

To answer the OP, I wore a Speedy as a daily for years. It's rest and you can easily switch it up with leather/nato/etc, although in the end I found 42mm a little too large for something to wear every day (I've now settled on a 36mm Day Date and it's perfect!).

Master
    Moon watch will be fine as a daily wearer, as would any SS watch in my view.Only issue I can think of that's going to introduce any real life risk of attracting unwanted attention is the full yellow gold watch and bracelet combo, which does stand out a bit and perhaps is more horses for courses rather than every day wearer.

Never had a problem wearing a SS Rolex with plexi everyday for last 10 years or so

SD is pretty discrete IMHO. Speedy Pro wears bigger, but otherwise perfectly fine as a daily as long as you don't mind hand winding it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Hi guys,

Quick question to the Moonwatch owners, does anyone wear theirs as a daily wearer? I'm looking for a less conspicuous watch I can wear without fear of having my arm chopped off in London and have a real hankering for the Moonwatch. Is the hesalite ok with daily wear?

Unfortunately I knew a chap who was dragged out of his car in Clapham and given a proper doing over for his watch. It was a big bi-metal Breitling and my guess is they probably thought it was a bi metal Sub.
    A lovely slim Speedmaster will pretty much fly under the radar and as others have said can be dressed up or down. Buy it on the Bracelet and if buying new get them to throw in a leather strap . Otherwise I'd suggest buying an after Market leather like a Hirsh Duke and get Pav or Heuerville to make you a fantastic Rallye type soft leather as a Weekend Strap option. That way you have a watch for office and casual.

Journeyman
    You'll be winding it every day so you may as well wear it!

Winding it up used to wind me up but i got myself back to appreciating what was inside the case and it's now a daily pleasure.

Journeyman
    I got mine, new, in 2002, and worn it non stop for about 8 years, when I started buying other things to wear too.

It still get's a lot of wrist time.

I would recommend hesalite rather than sapphire, purely from the point of view that if the hesalite is a scratched, a new one is £35 or included in the service (every 3-5 years), and a new sapphire is £££ and that's in addition to the service.

If you're going new, are in London, and want something different, pop into Regents Street Boutique... they have a Brown Sapphire Sandwich... which I would make an exception for... it is that cool. :)

Craftsman

I wear one almost every day in London. I have several on rotation, as I do love Speedies! Most people don't give them a second glance, I find.

This on now:

Snap!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomega View Post
    Snap!

I don't see why it can't be worn every day.

Journeyman
    I've been wearing mine every day since last Oct and its incredibly practical and also invisible! Most do not know what it is, but I use the winding as therapy!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    I wear one almost every day in London. I have several on rotation, as I do love Speedies! Most people don't give them a second glance, I find.

This on now:

That is really nice. What is the reference?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    That is really nice. What is the reference?
    3570.31. ...... but in truth mine is an Omega supplied new service case/movement/dial build for daily wear. Waiting for one of the 300 Japanese originals to come available to add to my Speedy collection.

Last edited by tom waring; 27th April 2017 at 07:47.

Master

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Very interesting article. de Cadenet was a great amateur driver and constructor and highly respected. Old school, for sure.

50m water resistance is fine for everyday wear. I used to swim with a 25m resistance Swatch, no problem (although an ex of mine asked if "25m water resistance" meant it would spring a leak if I swam more than a length of the pool. Er, yes love)

Craftsman

I would be very apprehensive about swimming whilst wearing a speedmaster. Not worth the risk imo

Journeyman
    My Speedy is 34 years old and I alternate wearing it to work with a Nomos Club and a Sub 14060.

I wouldn't worry for wearing it on a daily basis. The acrylic crystal could be polished and are (relatively) cheap to replace. I already have a spare one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
    My Speedy is 34 years old and I alternate wearing it to work with a Nomos Club and a Sub 14060.

I wouldn't worry for wearing it on a daily basis. The acrylic crystal could be polished and are (relatively) cheap to replace. I already have a spare one.

Nice strap

Only disadvantages are an easily scratched glass (polywatch is your friend) and no sate window. Otherwise a perfect daily.

Journeyman
    I wear mine everyday !

I reckon if its flight qualified for NASA then it should stand up to daily office use....

I rotate between my speedy and my '60s Seamaster 300 - includes daily commute on mountain bike to and from work

Some of you guys must live a very exciting life where a simple day is more challenging for your watch than going to the moon. 😁

Sent from my SM-T230 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Some of you guys must live a very exciting life where a simple day is more challenging for your watch than going to the moon.
    Exactly.

I have worn an older Speedy on a daily basis for years, without any issue. While I have a minty 2014 and a very nice '68 Transitional, my regular wearer is a mellow example from the late '70s / early '80s. It's neither battered nor pristine, just a mellow, used watch which is easy to wear. Something like this would be my suggestion for regular use; it's not valuable enough to protect and sufficiently worn to not not worry about the inevitable marks that it will pick up.

Yes I wear mine very often. I don't think they're too ostentatious and I've hardly ever noticed anytime even looking at it. Which wasn't the case with my Panerai or Breitling which did attract a bit of attention - especially the Panerai.

Funnily enough I was in central London for work today and wore my Rolex and in a Starbucks while I was minding my business someone asked me about my Rolex (which was 80% under a jumper) and I've never, ever had any attention when wearing my Speedmaster. Wished I didn't wear it after that.

I wore one for decade daily. Zero hassle watch,as said before wears well, picks up the odd scuff and scratch on the hesalite, but it's lovely to wind it every morning.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Operation Grandslam View Post
    I wore one for decade daily. Zero hassle watch,as said before wears well, picks up the odd scuff and scratch on the hesalite, but it's lovely to wind it every morning.
    I enjoy winding it every day, its mildly OCD I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    50m water resistance is fine for everyday wear. I used to swim with a 25m resistance Swatch, no problem (although an ex of mine asked if "25m water resistance" meant it would spring a leak if I swam more than a length of the pool. Er, yes love)
    Herr Dr Wolff is correct.