closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hifi stands. Any good advice?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Hifi stands. Any good advice?

Chaps

After going back over to vinyl the other month, I think I need a proper bespoke hifi stand. I've been looking at a company called Hifi Racks, and for a 4 tier one, designed to how I want it, is coming in at just over £600! Although in saying that, I do have a pair of their stands.

So can anybody give me any recommendations of anywhere that makes/retails good oak stands? And I have the missus' Royal seal of approval!

Thanks

Adam

I've always used Custom Design in Newcastle. I helped kickstart Paul's business many years ago when he started the company. He'll make to your design and the finished products are excellent.

http://www.customdesign.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    Chaps

After going back over to vinyl the other month, I think I need a proper bespoke hifi stand. I've been looking at a company called Hifi Racks, and for a 4 tier one, designed to how I want it, is coming in at just over £600! Although in saying that, I do have a pair of their stands.

So can anybody give me any recommendations of anywhere that makes/retails good oak stands? And I have the missus' Royal seal of approval!

Thanks

Adam
    If you are having problems isolating your turntable from vibration, you would be well advised to put it on the wall.

Grand Master
    Another vote for fixing to the wall. I did this years ago, I made a shelf and fitted it to the outside wall. This totally decoupled the turntable from the floor and I believe it improved the sound.

Paul

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    If you are having problems isolating your turntable from vibration, you would be well advised to put it on the wall.
    No, no vibration. At present the turntable is on top of a sideboard & the amp is in the cupboard bit, hanging out!! Hence wanting a proper rack.

Saw these in sevenoaks hi fi

(sorry originally saw post quickly on phone and didn't realise your first look was at hifi racks stuff in the first place)

http://www.hifiracks.co.uk

I think the podium range is lovely and the quality good especially for the price.

I have a traditional metal and glass rack by audio innovations but these are a hit with 'er indoors as they look more like furniture than high tech to her.

So will be getting these at some stage & bonus is they are modular so can buy more when you want to breaking up the costs.
    Last edited by lordloz; 26th April 2017 at 21:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've always used Custom Design in Newcastle. I helped kickstart Paul's business many years ago when he started the company. He'll make to your design and the finished products are excellent.

http://www.customdesign.co.uk/
    This.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Oak is definitely more stylish and acceptable from a domestic point of view. The black angle iron stuff does work well but try getting 16 phases of Mana past her!

(Not my pic I hasten to add)

Master
    Have a look at quadraspire.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Oak is definitely more stylish and acceptable from a domestic point of view. The black angle iron stuff does work well but try getting 16 phases of Mana past her!

I don't feel so guilty having a pair of Atacama Equinox XL Pro racks in the living room after seeing that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Have a look at quadraspire.co.uk
    Beaten to it! I have had the Q4 ego for the last 4 years. Don't go super cheap as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Beaten to it! I have had the Q4 ego for the last 4 years. Don't go super cheap as well.
    Whilst I'd wholeheartedly agree not to go cheap, it's worth noting that hifi stands hold their value like a second hand holiday. They can cost an awful lot to buy new but can be picked up for peanuts used.

If there's no desperate rush and the OP has a shortlist, a search left on eBay makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

+1 for Custom Design. Lovely stuff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    and another vote for Q4 Evo... tbh a little bit wobbly but sturdy enough for the job. Not super expensive, cost me £400 for a four shelf setup.

My biggest hifi tip is to buy heavy.

So the missus can't shift it about.

Reminds me of the old joke......

My father gave me some sound advice.......

"Don't skimp on speakers"

I used this company, the end product is lovely

All cut to my custom requirements in terms of number of shelves, width, depths and heights between each shelf

And glass colour and wood used

https://www.blokdirect.com/

Mine is very similar to this one as my speakers are all Walnut as well

https://www.blokdirect.com/products/...glass/stax-500

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    My biggest hifi tip is to buy heavy.

So the missus can't shift it about.
    Agreed, mine weighs about 80kg with the rack and gear in it

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    How much of that is your missus and how much your gear?
    She doesn't live in the Hi-Fi rack, as much as I wish she did have her own remote control for the volume control at least.

Rack is about 60kg, Amp is about 17kg, rest is made up of other smaller items like BD Player, Playstation, Sky box etc

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    *whooosh!*
    No I got it, you're just not funny

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post

That'll take some dusting!

Why would anyone but that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    No I got it, you're just not funny
    Ouch.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    if you have domestically acceptable stands already and just want to stop vibrations getting to your turntable then townshend audio do a range of individual component vibration isolators they call seismic sinks.
    http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-...ion-isolation/

you can get the same effect DIY using something flat and heavy such as a marble chopping board or paving slab and a small bike inner tube but that can look a little heath-robinson.

To be honest unless you have suspended wooden floors and a ballet prodigy living in the house or live next to a major road or building site then get just something that looks good or that you already have; I've never found stands to be a good place to sink money improving hi-fi. Just my experience though ymmv.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That'll take some dusting!

Why would anyone buy that?
    Because it's a Naim / Linn system and that's a very deep rabbit hole leading to some questionable life choices, I know I've been down it.