closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need some help/advice/opinions - guitar amp

Master

Need some help/advice/opinions - guitar amp

Hi

Around this time last year I asked here for some advice/recommendations about learning guitar - which ones to look at etc. Ended up with a Yamaha Pacifica which I'm really happy with and is much more capable than I am (currently or will ever be!). As part of the deal, I got a practice amp thrown in - Peavey Backstage II. The amp has been fine to get me going but I really would like something else now. Maybe this is just GAS - could well be actually.

I remembered that I had bought an iRigHD last year and never really used it so plugged that into the Mac and opened up GarageBand to mess around. Quite good to be able to switch between amps, cabs etc. but to be honest its a lot of faff and cables and really I decided to learn guitar to get away from computers which we use all day at work. So things like iRigHD are ok as an option to mess road with weird/niche sounds but can't be the main thing, for me anyway.

Other than the iRig, in the last year I have bought a plectrum (60p) and a change of strings so think I've managed to keep a lid on just getting new stuff.

So that brings us onto the question - what would be a good/decent amp for me to move onto now? Couple of things that come to mind:

- Its for home use - I won't be gigging and I don't practice with a drummer
    - Having said that, the ability to play loud every now and then!
    - I like all kinds of music but my aim is to play things like blues; rock; etc. but nothing in the mental metal category. Actually, make that wider and overall my aim is to try most genres.
    - Budget - couple of hundred quid, give or take
    - Happy to buy used if the unit doesn't have any known issues
    - I'd like ability to have a variety of sounds and maybe some limited effects but it has to be simple - I don't want anything that requires an app to use it!
    - Switches and knobs that actually do something
    - Not massively heavy
    - Headphones in and Aux in
    - Not bothered about being able to plug into an external cabinet

Basically, something that I can grow into over the next few years, but also simple enough to get going with right now.

From looking and reading around, here are a few that have made their way into my thoughts:

- Yamaha THR10 - the original one
    - Boss Katana 50
    - Vox Valvetronix 40 (there seems to be loads of models)

There are undoubtedly others out there. If I get a chance I'll get to a shop that has a decent choice, but my playing ability isn't really enough for me to test these things properly - they'll all sound rubbish - so really looking for some real-world experience and opinions.

Can't think of anything else right now!

I know there are some decent guitarists out there who have been around the block when it comes to equipment so hope someone out there can help.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Hi

Around this time last year I asked here for some advice/recommendations about learning guitar - which ones to look at etc. Ended up with a Yamaha Pacifica which I'm really happy with and is much more capable than I am (currently or will ever be!). As part of the deal, I got a practice amp thrown in - Peavey Backstage II. The amp has been fine to get me going but I really would like something else now. Maybe this is just GAS - could well be actually.

I remembered that I had bought an iRigHD last year and never really used it so plugged that into the Mac and opened up GarageBand to mess around. Quite good to be able to switch between amps, cabs etc. but to be honest its a lot of faff and cables and really I decided to learn guitar to get away from computers which we use all day at work. So things like iRigHD are ok as an option to mess road with weird/niche sounds but can't be the main thing, for me anyway.

Other than the iRig, in the last year I have bought a plectrum (60p) and a change of strings so think I've managed to keep a lid on just getting new stuff.

So that brings us onto the question - what would be a good/decent amp for me to move onto now? Couple of things that come to mind:

- I like all kinds of music but my aim is to play things like blues; rock; etc. but nothing in the mental metal category. Actually, make that wider and overall my aim is to try most genres.
    - I'd like ability to have a variety of sounds and maybe some limited effects but it has to be simple - I don't want anything that requires an app to use it!
    - Not massively heavy

Basically, something that I can grow into over the next few years, but also simple enough to get going with right now.

From looking and reading around, here are a few that have made their way into my thoughts:

- Boss Katana 50

There are undoubtedly others out there. If I get a chance I'll get to a shop that has a decent choice, but my playing ability isn't really enough for me to test these things properly - they'll all sound rubbish - so really looking for some real-world experience and opinions.

I know there are some decent guitarists out there who have been around the block when it comes to equipment so hope someone out there can help.
    If you want a few effects as well as different amp modelling I would go for a Fender Mustang III as it has a screen so you can see what you are doing and some nice models that will keep you going. You can add to the sounds using Fuse through a computer but you certainly don't have to. you could gig it too!

I've only heard good reviews about the Boss Katana. The basic sounds are good with built in Boss effects you can add at will. Great price too.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Aside from the amp, you can have fun with an FX unit too. I purchased a used Boss ME-25 last year and it's great to be able to flick between loads of effects. Me and and my boy really enjoy the looper although it takes some work to get your timing right. It looks a little complex at first glance but it's genuinely easy to use - no apps, screens etc, just buttons, knobs and pedals!!

https://www.boss.info/us/products/me-25/
    Last edited by benny.c; 25th April 2017 at 15:44.

I had a Fender Mustang III, a great amp to get different tones with, ridiculously loud if you turn it up, you will shatter the windows.

Master
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Realised I should have added Blackstar to the list too...

Will check out the Fender suggested...

I think you should look no further than Blackstar amps, specifically the ID range. These are fantastic and very affordable, with good tone- I use mine with backing tracks off youtube and it is faff free and good fun. Simply plug a laptop into the amp and you can play along with the backing tracks by either choosing one of many 'out of the box' tones/ effects or finding your own tone (which you can then save to the amp so it's there any time you need it)

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/id30-tvp

I had a marshall MG series and Fender deluxe before this for my practice amp and the Blackstar is far more versatile.

- - - Updated - - -

Realised I should have added Blackstar to the list too...
    Great minds! ^

Check out a Fender Superchamp XD (Tube), combined unit or separate head or cabinet configuration (slightly more expensive - but glad I went this way).

Superb Tube Amp, includes Fuse functionality and lots of preset effects and amp configurations.

Not sure if I should link to external videos, but this give a good overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnjnU55JL4

Hi

- Not massively heavy

- Boss Katana 50

It won't tick all the boxes but have you thought about an Orange Tiny Terror? It's all valve and switchable between 7 and 15 watts. No fx and bells and whistles just a solid tube amp and quiet enough to mic up at home if recording. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I use a Yamaha TRH10 for noodling around at home. Fab little amp with a few amp models and effects built in, despite having three other amps this is my default choice. I like its compact portable size and ease of use. It really is a great plug in and play unit and takes no effort to get a good tone. There's plenty of demos and review videos on youtube etc.

The trouble I found with even low output tube amps is you need to crank up the volume to get those tubes working and the best tone. I had a little Vox tube amp which was switchable from 1/2 to 5 amps and even at 1/2 it was a bit too loud for home practice, unless the wife and neighbours where out ; )

The Boss Katana gets rave reviews and I'd like to try it one day.

To broaden your sound spectrum I can heartily recommend the Boss ME-80. It's effectively all the effects pedals you'll need in one box with a built in looper. You can go from subtle sounds to completely whacked out nonsense in an instant. I like it because it looks like traditional effects pedals with dials etc, so it suits my analogue thinking : )

Have fun trying your options and let us know what you decide to go for.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Check out a Fender Superchamp XD (Tube), combined unit or separate head or cabinet configuration (slightly more expensive - but glad I went this way).

Superb Tube Amp, includes Fuse functionality and lots of preset effects and amp configurations.

Not sure if I should link to external videos, but this give a good overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnjnU55JL4
    Thanks - another one to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by professorfail View Post
    It won't tick all the boxes but have you thought about an Orange Tiny Terror? It's all valve and switchable between 7 and 15 watts. No fx and bells and whistles just a solid tube amp and quiet enough to mic up at home if recording. I love mine.

Ooh - all valve? Hadn't thought about that. What speaker do you have it set up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    I use a Yamaha TRH10 for noodling around at home. Fab little amp with a few amp models and effects built in, despite having three other amps this is my default choice. I like its compact portable size and ease of use. It really is a great plug in and play unit and takes no effort to get a good tone. There's plenty of demos and review videos on youtube etc.

The trouble I found with even low output tube amps is you need to crank up the volume to get those tubes working and the best tone. I had a little Vox tube amp which was switchable from 1/2 to 5 amps and even at 1/2 it was a bit too loud for home practice, unless the wife and neighbours where out ; )

The Boss Katana gets rave reviews and I'd like to try it one day.

To broaden your sound spectrum I can heartily recommend the Boss ME-80. It's effectively all the effects pedals you'll need in one box with a built in looper. You can go from subtle sounds to completely whacked out nonsense in an instant. I like it because it looks like traditional effects pedals with dials etc, so it suits my analogue thinking : )

Have fun trying your options and let us know what you decide to go for.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thanks - the Katana and the THR10 are definitely on the list.

Another question - is it worth buying used? If so, any general tips on what to look out for or is it all model specific? I've been looking at some on EBay and can easily see myself ending up with a whole pile of amps that I got simply because they were inexpensive to try - that's not going to end well.

Another question - is it worth buying used? If so, any general tips on what to look out for or is it all model specific? I've been looking at some on EBay and can easily see myself ending up with a whole pile of amps that I got simply because they were inexpensive to try - that's not going to end well.
    Nothing wrong with buying used and you'll save a bit of cash in the process. I'd imagine most of the type of amps you're considering have had home use only so they should be in good cosmetic order, not gigged etc. As most are digital I doubt you'll have any issues really.

My advice would be to get yourself to a good music shop and get a feel for what you like. You can read/view as many reviews as you like, but ultimately there's no substitute for actually getting your mits and playing around with an amp. The process should get you a solid shortlist and then you can look around for a used example. Mind you most aren't exactly expensive really tbh.

I picked up my TRH10 when it was discounted and my Boss ME-80 I bought second hand.

Cheers,
    Gary

Thanks - another one to check out.

Ooh - all valve? Hadn't thought about that. What speaker do you have it set up with?

Thanks - the Katana and the THR10 are definitely on the list.

I use some cheap as chips Epiphone cabs (can't remember the model no.) But I had the speakers changed for celestian century vintage light weights and they sound fantastic. You can pick up a tiny terror for about £190 on ebay which may be a little more than a valvetronix etc but it's well worth it. Sounds as good as a rockerverb IMO.

I have a mustang 1 which is a brilliant little combo, I got it because the 150w Line 6 combo was a bit too big for the bedroom, I've gone even smaller then the Mustang now and bought a tiny Vox mini 3 Modelling combo which runs forever on AA batteries, It also came with a mains adapter but I wanted it for battery use as there's less wires for me to trip over!!

The Line 6, Too big!

The Mustang..

The baby Vox!

John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I have a mustang 1 which is a brilliant little combo, I got it because the 150w Line 6 combo was a bit too big for the bedroom, I've gone even smaller then the Mustang now and bought a tiny Vox mini 3 Modelling combo which runs forever on AA batteries, It also came with a mains adapter but I wanted it for battery use as there's less wires for me to trip over!!

The Line 6, Too big!

The Mustang..

The baby Vox!

John
    That is some journey from the 150w to the baby Vox! I don't want or need anything that needs to be cranked up to get the best out of it. I like the idea of the modelling amps as just messing about with the different options on GarageBand and an iPad today gave me an idea of the tones that I prefer. Had to use headphones though as was connected via the iRigHD. Might get some active speakers to run the iPad into as an additional option. Anyone done this?

What sort of volume do you get out of the baby Vox?

Cheers

That is some journey from the 150w to the baby Vox! I don't want or need anything that needs to be cranked up to get the best out of it. I like the idea of the modelling amps as just messing about with the different options on GarageBand and an iPad today gave me an idea of the tones that I prefer. Had to use headphones though as was connected via the iRigHD. Might get some active speakers to run the iPad into as an additional option. Anyone done this?

What sort of volume do you get out of the baby Vox?

Cheers
    It's only a 3 watt unit but loud enough for the wife to shout 'Turn it down, I can't hear the telly'!!

Actually, I can't recall ever turning it up to max so i'll have to try it tomorrow!!

John

Also a happy Pacifica user here. The first amp I ever built over 30 years ago was a guitar amp, some MOSFET thing based on a kit from Maplins. No overdrive, needed pedals for that. Got cabley (and expensive) pretty quickly. Now I use a Vox Mini3 G2. Absurdly cheap but built well! Has lots of emulations of different amp sounds, pedal effects, and mic and headphone inputs. Can run off an adapter or 6 x AA batteries.

It's not hi-fi. It's not even rock-fi. But for indoor personal use, it's a lot of fun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Also a happy Pacifica user here. The first amp I ever built over 30 years ago was a guitar amp, some MOSFET thing based on a kit from Maplins. No overdrive, needed pedals for that. Got cabley (and expensive) pretty quickly. Now I use a Vox Mini3 G2. Absurdly cheap but built well! Has lots of emulations of different amp sounds, pedal effects, and mic and headphone inputs. Can run off an adapter or 6 x AA batteries.

It's not hi-fi. It's not even rock-fi. But for indoor personal use, it's a lot of fun.
    Nice set up!

I'm going to be in central London later this week - are there any good music shops worth popping into whilst I'm there? I'll be in the Holborn/ Oxford St area.

Cheers

Nice set up!

I'm going to be in central London later this week - are there any good music shops worth popping into whilst I'm there? I'll be in the Holborn/ Oxford St area.

Cheers
    Not the best person to answer this (I live in Tokyo) but Denmark Street used to be the place. Close to where you'll be. It's where I bought my original Marlin Sidewinder in the 1980s. The amp I bought from Amazon (Japan) and it cost well under £100.

I'm in Clapham Common, if you want to drop me a PM I can hook you up, and you can come play some stuff with me if you like.

I'm seriously thinking about starting a tread on guitars/ amps for all of you, i've got plenty of experience and wasted plenty of money!

The first question on my lips would be - whats you budget for this? I'm assuming with the amps you've already mentioned up to £300?

Like I've said to nearly every person i've sold amps to;

Very much like a guitar, amps are like a paintbrush, they do very specific things so you wouldn't paint a house with a miniature brush, very much like you wouldnt paint a miniature with a fence brush.

There are 3 types of amp

Tube
    Digital
    Solid state

and there are 2 styles of amp;

Practice amp
    Playing amp (gigging or recording)
    (this is subjective, go with me here)

Your criterion would point me to tell you to get a digital practice amp, it will provide you with a better tone and better quality effects.

Your brand options would be (in no order of preference)

Vox
    Blackstar
    Roland
    Line 6
    Yamaha
    Fender

Having played most of them, i'd look at a Katana or a Vox. Maybe drop me a PM with you phone number and we can chat through your options.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    It's only a 3 watt unit but loud enough for the wife to shout 'Turn it down, I can't hear the telly'!!

Actually, I can't recall ever turning it up to max so i'll have to try it tomorrow!!

John
    Thanks for that, useful to know. Do let us know how you get on when you max it out!

I use an Orange 20 DLX ,which i honestly cannot fault .From the inbuilt tuner to the truly massive amount of cab/effects available .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwiy4q3Orx0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    I'm in Clapham Common, if you want to drop me a PM I can hook you up, and you can come play some stuff with me if you like.

I'm seriously thinking about starting a tread on guitars/ amps for all of you, i've got plenty of experience and wasted plenty of money!

The first question on my lips would be - whats you budget for this? I'm assuming with the amps you've already mentioned up to £300?

Like I've said to nearly every person i've sold amps to;

Very much like a guitar, amps are like a paintbrush, they do very specific things so you wouldn't paint a house with a miniature brush, very much like you wouldnt paint a miniature with a fence brush.

There are 3 types of amp

Tube
    Digital
    Solid state

and there are 2 styles of amp;

Practice amp
    Playing amp (gigging or recording)
    (this is subjective, go with me here)

Your criterion would point me to tell you to get a digital practice amp, it will provide you with a better tone and better quality effects.

Vox
    Blackstar
    Roland
    Line 6
    Yamaha
    Fender

Having played most of them, i'd look at a Katana or a Vox. Maybe drop me a PM with you phone number and we can chat through your options.
    Hi

I think a thread like that would be really helpful as there seems to be a fair few of us on here that like guitars (there was a great 'Show us your guitars' thread a while back). As I'm pretty new to all this, I don't fully understand all the options etc. I know that I don't want something that has to be cranked up to get the best out of it and I'm not into insane metal.

I thought I'd mentioned budget - ideally around £200, not sure I can justify more than that with my level of ability yet.

Thanks for your considered list - appreciate that.

I will drop you a PM...

Cheers

I use an Orange crush 20DLX ,which i can honestly say that along with the inbuilt tuner has every type of cab/effect i'll ever need .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwiy4q3Orx0

Master
    This is a great review of the Boss Katana 100W -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_hbGm0lWUo

Master
    I've got a Vox Mini 5 that I got from Amazon on a black Friday deal. It's much better than my limited abilities allow for. The build quality and sound for practicing is very good though.

Craftsman
    I recently got back into playing, and sought out amps that could do a good job without causing marital problems.....

I picked the Boss Katana 50, with its 0.5 watt setting it is great for home use, and with upto 50 watts it could take you onto stage too.. lots of fun and different sounds to be achieved, excellent modelling of valve / tube sounds... my review is here: https://youtu.be/sa9YcRO4qS8

If I hadnt chosen that, and wanted something a bit more simple, the all tube blackstar 1 watt-er HT-1R looks great!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I've got a Vox Mini 5 that I got from Amazon on a black Friday deal. It's much better than my limited abilities allow for. The build quality and sound for practicing is very good though.
    Thanks. Useful to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    I recently got back into playing, and sought out amps that could do a good job without causing marital problems.....

I picked the Boss Katana 50, with its 0.5 watt setting it is great for home use, and with upto 50 watts it could take you onto stage too.. lots of fun and different sounds to be achieved, excellent modelling of valve / tube sounds... my review is here: https://youtu.be/sa9YcRO4qS8

If I hadnt chosen that, and wanted something a bit more simple, the all tube blackstar 1 watt-er HT-1R looks great!
    Thanks too.

I found this review of the Vox VT40X - not sure who this guy is but I quite like his style - long review, but pretty in-depth without just repeating the marketing stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdoMiF75_w

Cheers

Master
    I can't comment on the other amps but I have the Yamaha THR10 and love it, I completely agree with Omegary's remarks on it. Very easy to use and get good sounds out of.

Craftsman
    I have a THR10c and a Katana 100. The THR10c produces some great sounds, it doesn't upset SWMBO, it's always handy, and I play it 90% of the time. The Katana comes into it's own when I just want some rock with a bit of noise, but it still produces some great sounds, and can be used at 0.5w level if necessary. I'm pleased to have both, but I think the THR will improve your guitar playing more.

ANdertons did a round up of the main 10-12inch modelling amps search YouTube for the ultimate modelling amp shootout which gives a good overview.

ps Mike (ghosty) is a great fellow to deal with.
    Last edited by Neil T; 26th April 2017 at 23:23.

Master
    Quick update - had a mooch around some of the shops in the Oxford St area and a previous poster was correct, there are quite a few in Denmark St. Also a couple on Rathbone Place. Not a huge selection of amps out though.

Looking forward to making an trip to Clapham soon to see Ghosty as well and trying a few out.

Master
    Just wanted to add that my daughter has expressed an interest in learning electric guitar so if any of the guitarists here have something suitable for a beginner that they'd like to move on then do let me know. Must be reasonably priced in case she doesn't stick with it!

I've put up a WTB as well.

Thanks

Just wanted to add that my daughter has expressed an interest in learning electric guitar so if any of the guitarists here have something suitable for a beginner that they'd like to move on then do let me know. Must be reasonably priced in case she doesn't stick with it!

I've put up a WTB as well.

Thanks
    Nice.

Get the Mrs on the drums and you have your own rock band!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Nice.

Get the Mrs on the drums and you have your own rock band!
    She plays the tambourine!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post

Vox
    Blackstar
    Roland
    Line 6
    Yamaha
    Fender

What about Orange? I've a TH30 and a Tiny Terror and a Crush combo. I play the two vale heads through a 1x12 and 2x12 Orange cabinet and the sound is pretty good from any of them. None of the one's you mention are bad units but, I think it wouldbe wrong to ignore Orange

Graham

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    What about Orange? I've a TH30 and a Tiny Terror and a Crush combo. I play the two vale heads through a 1x12 and 2x12 Orange cabinet and the sound is pretty good from any of them. None of the one's you mention are bad units but, I think it wouldbe wrong to ignore Orange

Graham
    Thanks. I'll be checking out the Micro Terror as part of the search. I think the all-valve option will get too expensive for right now, but the Micro Terror looks like it might be good. I'll hopefully have a cab soon that I can plug it into.

Master
    Quick update for you - I recently got a used Vox Valvetronix VT40+ (just this week actually) and it came with the footswitch too. That should be enough to keep me going for a while. Will probably still get a Yamaha THR10 as like the size and portability of those and apparently you can modify them to run into an external speaker cabinet if needed.

Been having a play with the Vox VT40+ over the last couple of days and it has a lot of stuff on it. Luckily you can switch most of it off if you want and stick to the basics to get going. I think 33 amp types is enough to get on with for now. I've found a couple of sounds that I like already - US Blues and US 2x12. Has a power level control so you can turn down the amount of power put out and a bunch of song presets that are designed to sound like famous songs.

Have also found a whole bunch of patches that people have compiled so you can dial in various settings to make it sound like other songs etc. - haven't done that yet though.

Thanks for all the advice, support and opinions.

Will no doubt be back as I get more into this, but first impressions are that it will more than do the job for me right now.

Cheers

PS Forgot to mention that I managed to pick up a cab as well as part of my looking around...but don't have a head for it so its just sitting there right now.

^^^

Well done.

Have only heard good reports of the Valvetronix series.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website: