closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ORIS 65 DIVERS - thoughts ?

Banned

ORIS 65 DIVERS - thoughts ?

I'm seriously looking at making my next purchase and the Oris 65 is the one I'm looking at ,

I've looked online and there are 2 types , the 42mm and the 40mm with large numbers , there are also a variety of colour Dials and straps .

So I was wondering where is the best place to buy and hopefully get a reasonable discount and also has anyone purchased one of these ? What's your initial thoughts

Seikoboy

Journeyman
    I very much like the Oris 65Diver offerings. I actually bought this 42mm blue dial on bracelet last November on a Black Friday sale at 20% off.
    However, I persuaded myself I should really save for the Tudor/Rolex I really want so returned it. I still kind of regret it as it ticked a lot of boxes with retro style case and bracelet, domed crystal etc.
    I have tried the 40mm and it's also great with its distinctive markers but I have a preference for the 42mm dial design. I would buy on bracelet and fit after markets straps and Natos though. I would have thought 10-20% discount should be fairly easy to achieve although I've never had to ask. I've not seen the 42mm come up on sales corner

Michael

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    I'm seriously looking at making my next purchase and the Oris 65 is the one I'm looking at ,

I've looked online and there are 2 types , the 42mm and the 40mm with large numbers , there are also a variety of colour Dials and straps .

So I was wondering where is the best place to buy and hopefully get a reasonable discount and also has anyone purchased one of these ? What's your initial thoughts

Seikoboy
    If it were my money, I'd go with the green dial and the newer 42mm case. It looks awesome!

Master
    I have the 40mm on both the bracelet and canvas. It's a peach. I have 6.75 wrists so the 42mm would look less suitable. Love the 42mm design, mind you. Don't think you can go wrong with either. The 42mm is around £200 dearer.

I've come very close to buying one of these a few times, most recently on Friday.
    (42mm blue, bracelet)

One of these is in the scopes, I think that they look awesome. Just need to find a dealer that has all the models in so as I can compare.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using TZ-UK mobile app

I have the 42mm blue on the Oris NATO. Also bought the brown leather but it is coming apart already after a few months.

Love the green but would need to see it in person first to check they got it right.

Great watches, very pleased with mine.

I think I'd get one if they did the 42mm style face in 40mm.

Cheers

Craftsman
    Definitely a fan of the 42mm version and not seen any 2nd hand at all - so those that have 'em seem to be hanging on to them!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    If it were my money, I'd go with the green dial and the newer 42mm case. It looks awesome!

Wow these green versions are stunning

Seikoboy

Craftsman
    I have the 40mm and absolutely love it. It's a fantastic watch. As much as I liked the 42mm model, I went for the 40mm because it is unique and unlike anything else. I felt like the 42mm dial was a bit more generic.

I think the 42 mm is excellent. Don't care for the big Arabic 3,69 on the 40mm one.
    I wear mine on a nice strap from Bulang and Sons.

photouploadcertificity.com

Craftsman
    I have the 40mm version, which I love. From first time I saw it I thought the design was amazing. Looks old without being pretend old. I use it as a holiday watch / v casual sports watch and wear it in the tropical rubber strap which is perfect and I would not replace. I've also tried on the 42 for fun and find the blue and grey dials to be be particularly nice. I joust couldn't not go for the 40 as it's the numerals that did it for me in the first place. I picked up mine for 800 almost new / barely worn on the bay, there aren't great discount from grey dealers at this stage. The Ines who are discounting are rather unknown and I'd tend to avoid. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think in store I got it down to about 1k if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post

Cheers
    I agree

Having owned the 40mm when it first came out, I loved the way they had done the patina dial.
    Now after recently trying on the 42mm which was slightly too large, if it had been 40mm. Then I would have gone for it.

I tried on the 42mm on the bracelet a few weeks ago and thought it was stunning. I understand people having reservations about the size but it was fine on my 6.75 incher. Yes the dial is a little more generic than the rather quirky 40mm but it still isn't any kind of hommage and stands up well in its own design.

I loved it, go for the 42mm.

Master
    Prefer the 42 with the blue dial, can't pretend I like the green dial version though. Having said that, I believe the 40 is the more historically accurate.

My most recent purchase was the 40mm dial - I bought from the bay for about £800 which I thought was ok. Lovely watch great domed crystal - I liked the rubber strap ( in the photo) but have put it on one of eddies perlons at the moment. Will try on a khaki two piece over the weekend - will try to add other photos - sorry for rubbish iPhone picture
    Pete

I had bad experiences in the mid to early seventies having bought an Oris divers watch from a extremely well respected shop in Sheffield Fatorinnis (?) they replaced it for me several times due to it filling with water in the swimming pool. I was ridiculed as wearing a wrist spirit level by my fellow students. They fully refunded me. Not had an Oris since, but bought an old one off eBay and that's a shed that doesn't even work. New Oris are sorted I believe. But I'm not into them now.

Michael
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The numerals make me think of The Flintstones cartoon.

I like where the date is. That's a big plus.

Not so keen on how the minute hand doesn't point at the inner minute markers but goes over them.

I was transiting through Panama airport yesterday and they had a black 40mm with the numerals on sale for a thousand dollars. At today's exchange rate that's 776 sterling. I didn't get it!
    Couple of reasons, I was pushed for time and also I don't really like the date a 6 o'clock position. Seriously thinking I should have grabbed it at that price though. Oh well. Might still be there when I head back in 4 weeks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    I was transiting through Panama airport yesterday and they had a black 40mm with the numerals on sale for a thousand dollars. At today's exchange rate that's 776 sterling. I didn't get it!
    Couple of reasons, I was pushed for time and also I don't really like the date a 6 o'clock position. Seriously thinking I should have grabbed it at that price though. Oh well. Might still be there when I head back in 4 weeks.
    You should have ! That was a bargain price p

Seikoboy

Journeyman
    If you like the 40mm size, there is also a reissue of the Captain Cook by Rado coming out.
    It was on a thread a few weeks ago:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...t=captain+cook
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ra...ok-introducing

Cheers
    This would also be my preference
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    On the rubber it's a bargain. On the bracelet it's a gift!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The 42mm version would be my choice with either the blue or maybe this silver dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    The 42mm version would be my choice with either the blue or maybe this silver dial.

Stunning!

Craftsman
    +1 for the 42mm style on the 40mm case

I'd be interested in seeing the green 42mm one. Knocking around in a drawer I have a couple of Oris 38mm 7401 models and the new 42mm seems to share a few similarities:

Hand are different though and the 42mm doesn't have the black inner dial.

Definitely like to see one of the 42mm's in the flesh.....

Cheers!
    Mark

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post

It's really one you have to try on the wrist. I have small wrists but felt the 40mm lacked a bit when I tried it on.

Craftsman
    The 42mm is one of the ones I always find myself looking at when I pass the local jewellers. It is such a beautiful watch that tick a lot of boxes for me. The other one I look at is the LLD. Due to the bit more detail and the internal rotating bezel, that's probably the one I'd be more swayed towards.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Just picked up a deauville dial. Loving it so far.

It's at the top of my list, currently of 4 watches I am watching for on the various sites and sellers, watch recon etc...

The crystal and vintage looking dial are so attractive. Not too many this size around with this much class. The 100m is the only slight downside for me.

Craftsman
    I am so close to REALLY liking this watch. It ticks many boxes for me: 40-42mm, classic design, simple and uncluttered, usable amount of water resistance and a date. The one thing I'm not sure about is.... the vintage lume effect. I appreciate that it looks good now but I can't help thinking the whole vintage lume thing is a fad that we going to laugh about one day!

Craftsman
    Can't go wrong

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by camb66 View Post
    I have the 40mm and absolutely love it. It's a fantastic watch. As much as I liked the 42mm model, I went for the 40mm because it is unique and unlike anything else. I felt like the 42mm dial was a bit more generic.

me too, I love this watch, great on many straps, the OEM rubber one is very good, also looks great on a MN strap

Journeyman
    looks really good on the bracelet!

Apprentice
    Does anyone know if you're able to swap out the bezel? Maybe in the future, if possible, I'd like to try a 12 or 24 hr bezel to add duel time zone functionality

Banned
    Image1521046048.937244.jpg

Et viola ! I’m in love with it now that’s it’s on the steel bracelet

Green dial 42mm on sale at Goldsmiths. Don’t forget Quidco and if you have it, pay with Curve.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Oris-Div...ch/p/17600905/

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
    +1 for the 42mm style on the 40mm case
    I thought it was just me.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I thought it was just me.
    Your wish has come true - but you need to pay >

https://www.watchmaxx.com/watch/oris...SABEgJGPvD_BwE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Green dial 42mm on sale at Goldsmiths. Don’t forget Quidco and if you have it, pay with Curve.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Oris-Div...ch/p/17600905/

Well spottes. V good deal.

Agree with point re case size. Just too big to be ideal for us refined wrist types.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisallen View Post

£1350 at goldsmiths.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I absolutely love mine! Had the black version on strap, didn't get on with it. Found this locally (only one I've seen in this color scheme), got a healthy discount and it's been far and away my most worn watch since.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisallen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    £1350 at goldsmiths.

When first I saw that I did consider it, but didn't really gel with a 'moustache' themed watch.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    When first I saw that I did consider it, but didn't really gel with a 'moustache' themed watch.
    Change the strap, and no one would know. There's nothing on the dial to give it away, just the naff strap, and case back engraving.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Change the strap, and no one would know. There's nothing on the dial to give it away, just the naff strap, and case back engraving.

Yes I know, strap I could change, case back I couldn't live with, I'm guessing that a non hirsute version will be along soon.

Craftsman
    Sold mine this week on ebay. Nice watch and very comfy, but one in and one out policy had to be held.
    Watchfinder offered less than half retail price. Sold it on ebay for 3/4's bought price in 15 mins.
    Sellita 200 movement when regulated keeps excellent time.