closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Longines Legend Bracelet(?!) Arrival!

New Longines Legend Bracelet(?!) Arrival!

Evening all,

I recently picked up a Longines Legend Diver for my upcoming wedding, but for the life of me couldn't settle on a watch strap I found comfortable that was also smart enough for the day without spending a large sum of money on a custom made. I tried wearing them in on other 22mm lug width watches, but none of them have felt right, and it occurred to me that maybe I'm just a bracelet guy. I prefer the tailored fit to the wrist that the links make and have probably worn a bracelet watch on a daily basis since 2001 give or take the odd change more recently to natos in warm weather. The problem is, the LLD doesn't really suit bracelets. The lugs are long and the spring bar holes are in a position that means they tend to not look right, so I started looking a mesh bracelets as an alternative.

I started by looking at the cheaper mesh offerings, but they were all fairly flimsy and not very thick. To move up to the realms of a suitable bracelet to match, most people suggested looking at Staib or variants thereof but I was uneasy about spending so much sight unseen. I left it for a while, waiting to see if I could find anything and then one day came across a picture on the watchgecko instagram of a chap who had a Tissot Visodate on their solid mesh bracelet. It looked the absolute business with a 50s/60s retro vibe and I loved it. I knew almost immediately that it would look amazing on my LLD, and so I ordered one for the princely sum of £43 after discount (I ordered the fliplock variant, I don't seem to get on with butterfly deployants).

Well, today I fitted the bracelet onto the watch - my only gripe is that the folding clasp is stamped and the band is 20mm on 22mm end links, but I don't think it detracts too much at all. I'm so pleased with how it has turned out, but have to wait til September to wear it now! - what do you think?

(Apologies for the lighting, it looks much better in natural light but I ran out of time!)

Whilst I do think that particular bracelet is excellent I also echo your comment that the LLD doesn't really suit a bracelet at all. Sorry.....

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    That looks perfect !
    Congrats on your good taste...and forthcomings ...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    It is hard to get a bracelet that looks good with long lugs but this really does the job. Well done!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I like the looks of the bracelet but would need fitted end links.

Master
    I have tried a number of straps on my LLD, but unfortunately that bracelet doesn't work for me

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I like the looks of the bracelet but would need fitted end links.
    Agree completely - a most handsome bracelet but that gap is just not right.

Master
    The bracelet itself looks good, and I don't mind the fact its not got end links (adds to that retro feel)... but I'm not a fan of the 20mm-22mm jump. The 2nd photo really does highlight it where the lugs overhang the area where it reduces to 20mm.

Without proper fitting end links a bracelet just looks wrong.

Each to their own, I suppose. Very surprised by all the end link gap hate, I disagree that all bracelets need fitted end links, I'm perfectly happy with straight fittings on a variety of watches although some of these suit better than others due to the design - I don't think this is aesthetically unacceptable in this case. I'm not saying this is perfect by any means, but I love having a bracelet option available.

Master
    Just bought one of these bracelets. It comes with both 20mm and 22mm end links! Very versatile. Thanks op.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Whilst I do think that particular bracelet is excellent I also echo your comment that the LLD doesn't really suit a bracelet at all. Sorry.....
    I agree, unless one with curved end links would look better?

Grand Master
    If I was wearing that as a wedding watch I`d put it on a nice black croco or alligator strap, for me that would work far better than the bracelet.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If I was wearing that as a wedding watch I`d put it on a nice black croco or alligator strap, for me that would work far better than the bracelet.

Paul
    I agree, but I've tried cheaper grained leather straps that I can't get to sit right on the wrist because they're not going to get worn enough to break in and get comfy as I have one other leather watch which came pre-shaped. Also, I've no other occasions to wear a smart leather strap so it makes little sense to shell out to get one just for the day, especially given the cost vs this. This isn't a final solution, this is just a more elegant solution to wearing it with the rubberised strap that it comes with (which is a comfortable fit) which will probably be the one used 90% of the time. I have also bought the rubber tropic from watchgecko for it which works really well, but again, not really suitable for the suit!

I think that bracelet matches particularly well because the fine 'grill' on the links echoes the pronounced indices on the dial. It looks great to me, quite striking on an already good looking watch, and stands on its own, with or without fitted end links.

I have to agree with a number of others here - that gap due to the lack of fitted end links just kills it for me.

Don't you have any dress watches which you can wear on the special day? I love divers / sports watches too, but if you want to really look the part on a formal occasion like this a dress watch is most suitable. That's what they're designed for.

I think it looks great on the bracelet, it's very retro looking.
    If it were me I would look for a nice croc leather strap though for a wedding.

Master
    This is what I settled on as the best looking and most comfortable. Di-Modell Chronissimo

Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    I have to agree with a number of others here - that gap due to the lack of fitted end links just kills it for me.

Don't you have any dress watches which you can wear on the special day? I love divers / sports watches too, but if you want to really look the part on a formal occasion like this a dress watch is most suitable. That's what they're designed for.
    Haven't you leaped to a conclusion?

Nice watch!

Its vintage style goes well with the old-school straight-ended bracelet, and though it's not a delicate dress watch, it's refined enough to not be completely out of place with tailored clothing in a modern context. And since its thickness is reasonable, if both the watch and shirt cuffs are fitted properly, then it'll be all but invisible at the event, anyway. The memories will certainly stick with it through the years, however. Enjoy creating them!

P.S. Don't listen to these knuckleheads; fancy leather straps don't belong on diver's watches. :)

Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    I love divers / sports watches too, but if you want to really look the part on a formal occasion like this a dress watch is most suitable.
    Really?

I have two vintage dress watches in my collection - coincidentally both Longines (Ultronics) - that live on plain black rubber with Longines branded buckles. One is a quite a large 1970s style watch, 22mm lug width, which I have on a Hirsch Pure. The other is a small gold watch, 18mm lug width, on a plain black Bonetto Cinturini.

Plain black rubber can look surprisingly sleek and "dressy" - obviously this wouldn't work if it has ribs, tyre tracks or sporty ventilation holes!

Chanel do a ladies dress watch with a rubber strap with a subtle texture designed to look like a black ribbon. It's very effective in the flesh (make up your own jokes).

So it's official - nobody should ever wear a leather strap for their wedding ever again!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    I agree, but I've tried cheaper grained leather straps that I can't get to sit right on the wrist because they're not going to get worn enough to break in and get comfy as I have one other leather watch which came pre-shaped. Also, I've no other occasions to wear a smart leather strap so it makes little sense to shell out to get one just for the day, especially given the cost vs this. This isn't a final solution, this is just a more elegant solution to wearing it with the rubberised strap that it comes with (which is a comfortable fit) which will probably be the one used 90% of the time. I have also bought the rubber tropic from watchgecko for it which works really well, but again, not really suitable for the suit!
    There are ways and means of running a strap in! Fit it then leave the watch fastened to the cushion in the box, that'll help it assume a wrist-like shape. Failing that fit it around the centre from a bog roll. This isn`t an insurmountable problem, a decent strap can be had for around £30 and it'll work far better with formal dress. Working them through the fingers helps to shape them and get them fitting properly.

A rare event for me, I`ve just been out in a suit and white shirt today (funeral unfortunately) wearing a gold Omega on a black strap. with a suit and shirt cuff a black strap looks far better IMO.

At the end of the day it matters little; a wedding is such a major event, your choice of watchstrap/bracelet will pale into insignificance! On the big day the last thing you'll be fretting about is your watch. Just be sure you've tested it properly beforehand, if it isn`t running properly you'd be well advised to find out beforehand.

Paul

^
    Sound advice.

And if someone's concerned with appearances, which is obviously reasonable for a wedding, then he'd do well to pay some extra attention to the shoes and not worry excessively about the wristwatch. :)

I've fitted the same bracelet, very comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I've fitted the same bracelet, very comfortable.

Nice. But two completely different watches with different lug/pinhole placement to the LLD.

I like the bracelet and for the price I would be delighted with it. The links match the indexes really well and whilst it isn't perfect is very good and Longines too.

I will also echo the black rubber suggestion- I have a JLC Reverso which came on a black rubber deployant strap which looked very smart (although I have now put it on a JLC bracelet).

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^
    Sound advice.

And if someone's concerned with appearances, which is obviously reasonable for a wedding, then he'd do well to pay some extra attention to the shoes and not worry excessively about the wristwatch. :)
    Agree.
    IMHO, we stress too much about what andress watch needs to be.
    I totally respect the view that it should be slim,not too big,uncomplicated, may be precious metal and on a strap and actually find that view quite charming though I don't adhere to it.
    I respect people who go to lengths to be properly attired.
    But, I believe one should do it only if one firmly believes in it. Not because others do so or consider it to be the norm.
    Not doing so is not a crime.

And I also like your new bracelet

Personally, I think the LLD looks pretty bad on a bracelet. Same for those other retro divers. A diver with a well integrated bracelet looks good, but probably impossible to make that work for the LLD imo. In fact I'd question whether a large dive watch with bracelet is suitable wedding attire. Remember the attention grabbing is for the bride. Unless you are a maverick in which case you set the style. When I got married I wore a Nomos Ludwig and left my LLD at home. I respect the decision to wear your LLD though. You definitely get big kudos for that no matter the strap. If I were you though I'd switch it onto a padded brown strap with nice stitching. I think the strap it came with is pretty smart too. Just a crazy thought, but could you find a nato strap that matched your wedding colour theme if you've got one? The LLD looks amazing on nato straps and still smart.

OP, it's beginning to sound like you're rousing for a tussle here man ? I rather hope not 'cos you'll be in danger of spoiling your own thread.