closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Random Telephone Calls On New Mobile?

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Random Telephone Calls On New Mobile?

Hi Peeps

I purchased a PAYG SIM from Tescos for my Daughter. I've put £10 credit on it and had it since November 2016. She hasn't used any credit and still has £10 on it.

I know that only a few members of the family have her number, however she gets a number of calls a month for PPI and she's had an accident and she's entitled to compensation!

The confusing part is that she's not old enough to drive or have PPI therefore how do these people manage to get her number?

She hasn't entered her telephone number on any website or given it to anyone outside of the family.

I wonder if Tescos sell the new telephone numbers as a side line, as I can't see how they have her number unless these cold callers use a random telephone generator?

I should mention that all of the calls are within the UK and are normally 0121, 0161, 0208.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

B

With PAYG, when you've not used it for a while you lose it. You'll be aware of that. The telecoms company waits a while then reuses it thus leading to the issues your daughter is experiencing. I think the only cure would be to changer her number.

Craftsman
    It could be that it's a previously used number that's been put back into the system, so they have it that way.

Master
    Not strictly true. The calls come from a "random" number generator. Calls are so cheap that one success in 10,000 would still be profitable.

Maybe, but why so many to one number when I hardly ever get any on a number I've held for six years? Contract.

Master
    I also understand that once a number is known to be live, i.e. answered by a human not voice mail or dropped, it's considered good and targeted more heavily.

This is why there is a pause when you answer while the system connects the automated ppi message or puts "Indian Bob" calling about your windows computer. This is the system working out if you are man or machine.

Try answering but don't say anything and you notice the change in pattern.

Register with the TPS. Doesn't take long

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

TPS doesn't work with 'Indian Bob'. I don't answer any number than begins with 00 or are shown as 'unobtainable'. All foreign.
    I wish I could ban all Withheld numbers but my doctor and other necessaries use that too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't know why, but ever since I turned the data off on my phone I'm not troubled by such calls. Prior to that it was endless

Both can happen, had a problem with debt collects calling my daughters new phone, recycled number. Contacted EE and they issued a clean number. Plus a sorry bonus, but as others have said PPI and Car accident can be random diallers, sorry we will be getting ever been sick on your holiday calls.... then the cost of holidays will rise and everyone will be surprised.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Thanks all for the replies. I'll register with TPS and will monitor the calls and may ask Tescos for a new number.

Its a real pain as I thought she would be safe as only a few know her number.

B

Could have got the number through a generator or it could be a recycled number. Wouldn't think about it too much unless you get repeat calls.

A lot of call centre diallers will simply start at 07801 000 000 and then call all the way through the range. Chances are that if you swapped numbers, you'd still get calls.