closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on finish for external wood door

Advice on finish for external wood door

Have just bought an American white oak veneer (unfinished) exterior door. Thought it would be simple to find
    something with a satin clear (or as close to clear as possible) finish but seems not so easy.
    I contacted Sikkens and Sadolin for advice but they were very cagey of recommending anything without more details of what the
    door manufacturers advise to use as seems very easy to invalidate your guarantee if you use the wrong product.
    The manufacturers were very helpful and advised that provided I use a waterbased high build product made for
    exterior use then would be no problem with guarantee but they wont recommend an actual product, however this seems to rule out
    Sikkens and Sadolin products.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations?

Definitely use water based on a veneer door or risk the solvent causing the veneer to lift
    I used ronseal satin on mine and looks fine- 3-4 coats using a foam roller did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Definitely use water based on a veneer door or risk the solvent causing the veneer to lift
    I used ronseal satin on mine and looks fine- 3-4 coats using a foam roller did a great job.
    Was it the crystal Clear outside varnish? And how has it been standing up to the weather?

Think so
    Pretty sure there was a reference to diamond on the tin
    Holding up well

Can you use an oil such as linseed on veneer?

Manufacturer says definitely no oils, needs to be something that seals the wood.

Only options I can find are the Ronseal Crystal Clear or Saddolin non-drip woodstain although not sure how much colour this would have, they have one called natural.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 25th April 2017 at 12:20.

Advice on finish for external wood door

Used osmo products on oak front door and oak floor.
    http://www.osmouk.com

Search for reviews of osmo polyx oil. Very well regarded.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by kdes24uk View Post
    Used osmo products on oak front door and oak floor.
    http://www.osmouk.com

Search for reviews of osmo polyx oil. Very well regarded.

Kev
    Yes Ive used them on an oak floor, but cant use an oil on veneered door unfortunately

They do a door oil specifically for interior veneered doors but it doesn't mention exterior veneered. The exterior product is uv protected but doesn't mention veneer.

My take on it is that there are so many qualities of veneer that everyone puts a disclaimer just in case.