closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hirsch Liberty - warning

Hirsch Liberty - warning

I had this strap on three watches, 20mm on Damaskos DA37 & DC56, and 22mm on my PRS-21 Voyager. All had the short stitch removed as I didn't care for the look, and this was done after some research into whether the stitch was merely cosmetic. At least one dealer stated that the stitch is cosmetic and could be safely removed. The other day I noticed that the glued section on the back of the 22mm on my Voyager had started to lift, and it took very little pressure with a thumb nail to lift the rest and remove that part of the strap. The other tan strap on the DA37 was OK, but not so the black one on the DC56, which had also begun to separate. It's an easy fix to re-glue and put a couple of hidden stitches in, so the straps aren't lost, but a watch could easily have been. So beware if you have a Liberty with the stitches removed, and I'd also check if the stitches appear intact in case they are loose, they are easy to remove.

F.T.F.A.

I had exactly the same at the buckle end of my liberty (about a week after i bought it) I like the stitch personally so never renove them, I sent an email to Hirsch who said to speak to the retailer

I didnt bother as It wasnt worth the 90 mile journey but I was surprised at their lack of interest

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I had this strap on three watches, 20mm on Damaskos DA37 & DC56, and 22mm on my PRS-21 Voyager. All had the short stitch removed as I didn't care for the look, and this was done after some research into whether the stitch was merely cosmetic. At least one dealer stated that the stitch is cosmetic and could be safely removed. The other day I noticed that the glued section on the back of the 22mm on my Voyager had started to lift, and it took very little pressure with a thumb nail to lift the rest and remove that part of the strap. The other tan strap on the DA37 was OK, but not so the black one on the DC56, which had also begun to separate. It's an easy fix to re-glue and put a couple of hidden stitches in, so the straps aren't lost, but a watch could easily have been. So beware if you have a Liberty with the stitches removed, and I'd also check if the stitches appear intact in case they are loose, they are easy to remove.

If you are talking about the short stitch parallel to the spring bars, I removed mine also on a tan Liberty and have had no problems.
    It's at least two years old, so maybe the manufacturing process is different now.

Thank you for the warning - I have a Liberty on my Alpinist and never liked the stitches so removed them easily with a stitch unpicker. I hadn't thought it might compromise the strength of the strap, though looking at your picture, it's not well designed if it's just that fine piece of leather anyway, even if the two stitches give it some limited additional security.

Shame, it's a nice strap.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    If you are talking about the short stitch parallel to the spring bars, I removed mine also on a tan Liberty and have had no problems.
    It's at least two years old, so maybe the manufacturing process is different now.
    I had no problems with mine until the glue failed. ;-) Mine are several years old.

Edit. I'll likely ditch the 22mm as the weight of the Voyager probably contributed to the failure. The 20mm straps with some tack stitches through them, on a lighter watch head should be ok.
    Last edited by magirus; 24th April 2017 at 16:23.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I had no problems with mine until the glue failed. ;-) Mine are several years old.

Edit. I'll likely ditch the 22mm as the weight of the Voyager probably contributed to the failure. The 20mm straps with some tack stitches through them, on a lighter watch head should be ok.
    OK thanks, I''l check mine.

Master
    I had mine removed by the Hirsch rep who told me they were just cosmetic, thanks for the heads up I'll check mine.
    Cheers.

Grand Master
    I think it pays to check all straps regularly. If you wear a watch frequently the strap is subject to wear and tear. If you wear the watch infrequently as part of a collection the strap will cosmetically look OK but be wary of the glue ageing and potentially failing. The leather also ages and eventually gets like cardboard, it can then split easily.

Time marches on, I have straps that are 15 years old and it does make sense to check them even if they still look OK

Paul

Craftsman
    So damn lucky that didn't split while wearing it! eep!

Master
    Hirsch straps are a bag of shite in my opinion, end of, more often than not people prefer them as their purse strings are tighter than a ducks arse

I have a couple, the stitches do appear to supplement the glue on the folded over part. I had considered removing them but hadn't got a round tuit. I think I'll leave them in now!

Hello

I would disagree that Hirsch straps are shite/shit as one poster has put it.

That has certainly not been my experience with their rubber straps and also the carbon leather.

I think they are extremely good, very comfortable, durable, and not ridiculously expensive.

Regards,

Ben

Master
    I think there is a pretty obvious inference here, start cutting stitches off your strap and don't be surprised when it falls apart. User error, hardly Hirsch's fault surely?

Thanks for sharing. Nearly did this myself Some time ago bit hesitated.

Many threads around the web suggest this. So good to read this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I think there is a pretty obvious inference here, start cutting stitches off your strap and don't be surprised when it falls apart. User error, hardly Hirsch's fault surely?
    It was a Hirsch stockist who stated that the stitches are merely cosmetic and could be safely removed.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Hirsch straps are a bag of shite in my opinion, end of, more often than not people prefer them as their purse strings are tighter than a ducks arse

Ah, an expert. Thank you for your input.
    F.T.F.A.

Hirsch make a lot of straps in different t price categories.
    Hirsch Liberty are excellent at their price point.
    You may have personal experience with a duck's arse but surely you cannot make any inference on purse strings of OP or others who buy Hirsch straps. I hope this was just a flippant remark that didn't hit the mark.

Hirsch straps are a bag of xxxxx in my opinion, end of, more often than not people prefer them as their purse strings are tighter than a ducks xxxx
    Less than 30 posts a year suggests that you may not be familiar with the fact that Watch Talk is supposed to be office/family/child-friendly - so you might want to dial down the language a bit.

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Hirsch make a lot of straps in different t price categories.
    Hirsch Liberty are excellent at their price point.
    You may have personal experience with a duck's arse but surely you cannot make any inference on purse strings of OP or others who buy Hirsch straps. I hope this was just a flippant remark that didn't hit the mark.
    That is my experience as well. Similar to many companies. They've a low end range and up to a high end range. Some I do indeed find to be utter crap (and I'm afraid I have to lump my 2 liberties in with this, they're rugged, but nasty, just my opinion though, perhaps I just got a bad batch), and they've some which are fantastic and in my humble opinion seem far more comfortable and well made than straps costing 4 times the price.

Master
    Hirsch make the OEM straps for Cartier amongst others so clearly some big name manufacturers don't consider at least some of their output crap...

The offending straps have been glued and clamped ready for some invisible stitches tomorrow. Meanwhile their once naked wearers have been clothed anew . . . ;-)

F.T.F.A.