closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Real Men: Saturation Diving

Real Men: Saturation Diving

I enjoyed this documentary about commercial sat divers in the North Sea. Respect for anybody who does that job! Some good watch spotting to be had also.

https://youtu.be/B3BWSMrgi3I

Thanks for linking that, enjoyed it. Not a job I could do, stuck in that tiny chamber for a month /shudder. Saw a lot of Subs and Sea dwellers and at least one Casio I think! Seems it was filmed about 10 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    Thanks for linking that, enjoyed it. Not a job I could do, stuck in that tiny chamber for a month /shudder. Saw a lot of Subs and Sea dwellers and at least one Casio I think! Seems it was filmed about 10 years ago?
    Yes, that's right.

It's not the job for me either. They made the analogy that it was very like being in space; you're in a hostile and dangerous environment in a small chamber for a long time with the same people, where one mistake could kill you, explosively, and in the event of accidents, injury, or illness you're on your own. It takes five days to depressurise back to surface level.

The pressure difference at 185m is enormous. Look up 'Byford Dolphin accident' if you want to know what happens when that goes wrong, but I recommend you don't do that just before having your tea.

Thanks for posting, well worth watching.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post

The pressure difference at 185m is enormous. Look up 'Byford Dolphin accident' if you want to know what happens when that goes wrong, but I recommend you don't do that just before having your tea.
    Jesus...! Why did I have to go and look at that.

Great documentary by the way :)

Master
    Great documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Jesus...! Why did I have to go and look at that.
    Indeed - I appreciate it might be useful for some academics, but that was someone's child, father, husband, hardly stuff for idle entertainment...

M.

Thanks for sharing the documentary. That was interesting.

My mate does that in the North Sea (4 weeks on) - wears a Seadweller. Working on a pipeline he had a large cod swim between his legs but what really scared him was the fact is was being chased by a sealion which did the same thing. He's got loads of great stories and big balls!

I'll stick to desk diving, worst case injury some clasp wabi or a paper cut.

The weirdest thing was what the heliox does to your voice. I was very impressed that the mission controller guy could understand everything the divers were saying. I guess he's had a lot of practice!

Can't be a healthy job, long term.