closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko solar packed in

Seiko solar packed in

Just noticed today my Seiko solar has stopped running.

It's not an expensive watch, so not looking to throw a load of cash at it.

Does anyone know what the typical issues can be with solar watches and if they can be cheaply repaired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Cheaply repaired - I doubt it. Cheaply replaced - much more possible.

I'm convinced I read a (recent?) post here where an owner of a Citizen ecodrive which had failed put it in a ziplock bag and cable tied it to the gazebo where they left it in three days of direct sunshine.

Kicked it back to life.

Likely need a bit of decent sun for the experiment though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    I'm convinced I read a (recent?) post here where an owner of a Citizen ecodrive which had failed put it in a ziplock bag and cable tied it to the gazebo where they left it in three days of direct sunshine.

Kicked it back to life.

Likely need a bit of decent sun for the experiment though.
    They didn't trust the 200m water resistance then? lol

It would appear not!

Beginning to doubt myself now. Must find the post.

edit- found it, got my wires crossed;

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...h-my-Eco-drive

And a similar thread;

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-solar-watches
    Last edited by howie77; 23rd April 2017 at 21:39.

Blog Entries
    If giving it plenty of sun for a few days doesn't work then just replace the rechargeable cell. Won't cost much and not much more difficult than replacing a battery.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    If giving it plenty of sun for a few days doesn't work then just replace the rechargeable cell. Won't cost much and not much more difficult than replacing a battery.
    Thanks, sounds like a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Thanks, sounds like a good place to start.

If I remember correctly, direct exposure to the sun is best i.e. Outside, rather than behind glass.
    When charging my solar watches, I turn them a couple of times a day, to keep the dial pointing directly at the sun - think I need to get out more!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    If I remember correctly, direct exposure to the sun is best i.e. Outside, rather than behind glass.
    When charging my solar watches, I turn them a couple of times a day, to keep the dial pointing directly at the sun - think I need to get out more!
    You have Sun? Thought you would need to hire some tanning beds to sort your collection

On a more serious note I have had the same issue as the OP and what Andrew has suggested here is good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    You have Sun? Thought you would need to hire some tanning beds to sort your collection

On a more serious note I have had the same issue as the OP and what Andrew has suggested here is good advice.
    Lol, thank you my friend
    On our annual day of sunshine, I take the day off work to ensure my collection of solar powered watches get a full charge

Master
    I have quite a few solar watches now and none of them spends time in direct sunlight except by chance when on the wrist, very occasionally. I find that the sort of general ambient daylight that a windowsill that doesn't get the sun enjoys is adequate to keep them all charged up.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I find that the sort of general ambient daylight that a windowsill that doesn't get the sun enjoys is adequate to keep them all charged up.
    This is indeed very true.
    We were just suggesting a maximum boost for the OP's troublesome watch, which is possibly dead flat.

I also have a few solar watches and find they last all year round - as long as I leave them in direct sun outside for say 8 hours for a couple of days in the summer to 'top out' the charge. It occurred to me the other day that there's already a layer of glass - the witches own crystal! - in front of the solar panel though, so not sure what difference putting them outside really makes?!

Erm, that's watches not witches!

Casio manuals usually contain a table like this.....

I have had a Seiko solar die too. Not as well sorted as a technology as the Eco-drive is my suspicion.

Some info from Seiko;

https://www.seikowatches.com/support/faq/solar_1.html

https://www.seikowatches.com/support/faq/solar_2.html

https://www.seikowatches.com/support/faq/solar_3.html

and

https://www.seikoserviceusa.com/uplo...be6baa690f.pdf

If all fails from what I gather you may need a Panasonic MT920 cell / capacitor job assuming yours is a V172, V174 or V175 solar unit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I have quite a few solar watches now and none of them spends time in direct sunlight except by chance when on the wrist, very occasionally. I find that the sort of general ambient daylight that a windowsill that doesn't get the sun enjoys is adequate to keep them all charged up.
    It would really help if Solar watches had a charge indicator so you could see how charged they are! I tend to leave them in daylight whenever I can and if the sun comes out I find myself thinking that I'd better put them in the light to charge rather than wear them! On the other hand, I don't like leaving them outside in the sun on a warm day as they get VERY hot, which can't be good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I have had a Seiko solar die too. Not as well sorted as a technology as the Eco-drive is my suspicion.
    I agree. Casio and Citizen seem to have got solar right whereas Seiko just aren't as good.

All three manufacturers use the same rechargeable cells made by Panasonic so it's down to their electronic and/or solar panel technology.

See my thread here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...r-won-t-charge

Mine is now nicely working. Completely agree that they're not as good as an Eco-Drive btw.

Thanks all. Some great advice, I'll have a punt and see how I get on.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    have you tried to wind it?

If watch is more than 8 years old it is almost definitely the capacitor problem. Its dried out and needs replacing. Will cost almost as much as a new watch these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    It would really help if Solar watches had a charge indicator so you could see how charged they are! I tend to leave them in daylight whenever I can and if the sun comes out I find myself thinking that I'd better put them in the light to charge rather than wear them! On the other hand, I don't like leaving them outside in the sun on a warm day as they get VERY hot, which can't be good.
    Some do .. some Casios have a high / medium / low indicator, and if I remember correctly my Citizen has something similar.

I've just done a quick head count, apparently I have nine solar-powered watches. No trouble with any of them so far; they include one Seiko and one Pulsar.

My first solar watch was a Pulsar, with a rather ungainly circular solar panel around the dial. That died after about a year, but that was in the late '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    If watch is more than 8 years old it is almost definitely the capacitor problem. Its dried out and needs replacing. Will cost almost as much as a new watch these days.
    How'd you work that out? I replaced the capacitor in mine for £12.

Unless you have some bargain shop knocking out Seiko Solars with a 95% discount, in which case, let us know where.