closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ideas for a (watch) gift please.

Ideas for a (watch) gift please.

I wouldn't normally ask this kind of question, but I want to buy a watch for my 18 year old daughter and I could do with some help. The criteria are:

£500 ish budget
    Steel and on a bracelet (bracelet needs to be sizeable to relatively small)
    Mid size or full size but certainly not ladies
    Not a screw crown (can't trust her not to damage threads)
    Flexible on type of movement
    Chrono - but not a deal breaker if not
    New or used

I'm trying to keep her away from so called 'fashion brands' so suggestions are very welcome.

David
    Last edited by dejjl; 23rd April 2017 at 11:39.

Let her choose. (If you don't find this advice immediately compelling, ask every other woman you know and see if they don't agree.)

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Seiko Prospex Baby Tuna 4R36 which comes in various styles? It does have a screw crown but it's pretty robust.

For £500, it's not going to be a great brand.

If it were me, I'd push the budget higher and get her a desireable well-known brand like Tag Heuer. I've bought new ladies Tag models for both my wife and my mum. They're bullet proof and have the best wow-factor for that price range. They now do some slightly larger size Ceramic models which look pretty smart.

I'd personally rather spend £1,000 on an entry level Ceramic Tag Heuer than a £500 fashion watch. Also most Tag Heuer ADs have 0% and monthly payments are tiny.

Whatever you choose, I'd definitely take her and let her choose.

I reckon you could get this (36mm) for about £800 new...

I reckon Quartz is better for ladies anyway, my missus cant be bothered with winding and setting.

https://www.longines.com/watches/conquest/l3-379-4-78-6

I would look at Certina & Hamilton. Not a chrono but how about this Day-Date?

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...-watch-crt-120

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post

I reckon Quartz is better for ladies anyway, my missus cant be bothered with winding and setting.

Oof, sweeping generalisation right there haha

Craftsman
    How about the Victorinox Maverick II quartz chrono? I think this green two-tone one is particularly nice (and I usually don't care about two tone), but you also have regular steel models of course:

Master
    It's amazing how middle aged men think they know what watch a woman would like as a pressie.

Different guy, different suggestion, so who is right - simple answer, only the woman herself, the rest is pure guesswork.

Why does anyone suggest a watch for someone they don't even know.

Craftsman
    The way I see it, we're pooling ideas for the OP - he knows his daughter, but may not know all of the options available on the market. So collectively, we may help him make a more informed choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    The way I see it, we're pooling ideas for the OP - he knows his daughter, but may not know all of the options available on the market. So collectively, we may help him make a more informed choice.
    Well that's a bit better but in reality all that is happening is that Fred is suggesting one thing and Bert is suggesting something else and they don't even know the persons likes or dislikes.

The best bet is just to let her decide, after all, she is the one who will be wearing it.

My request for ideas is just that, so please don't turn this thread into unnecessary and unhelpful debate about the pitfalls of buying things for others/women. Sitting here with my daughter looking at your suggestions thus far is both helpful and fun. Please keep them coming and thanks so far.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Well that's a bit better but in reality all that is happening is that Fred is suggesting one thing and Bert is suggesting something else and they don't even know the persons likes or dislikes.

The best bet is just to let her decide, after all, she is the one who will be wearing it.
    You have a point, but it's a different type of gesture - presenting a wrapped box with something you think your loved one will like may be more satisfying than taking them to a watch store and asking them to keep it under Ł500. I took a gamble with a present for my girlfriend, it was her first birthday we celebrated together in fact, and she really loved the present. And let's not forget, some people can be indecisive and might not only like what other people bought for them, but may feel better about it, because if they themselves had made the choice, they could never be sure whether they made the right one, whereas if you make it for them, they won't have to carry the burden around and always question themselves.

(I'm the opposite, I have been known as a person impossible to buy things for because the tiniest detail may turn me off a thing completely, and so the people who know me would never ask for suggestions but do just what you suggested - take me to the store and let me make my pick.)

Master
    Lovely idea for a gift, I'm sure part of the enjoyment will be in the choice - so don't rush :)

I've said before on the forum that I'm a big fan of Oris. I bought my wife a big pointer date for less than your budget from a highstreet jewellers sale (sorry I can't remember which). It doesn't meet all of your criteria, but sharing as an illustration of where you budget may go and if the brand is suitable.

https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-bi...031-07-8-14-30

They do a chrono in the artelier range and also the big crown, but the sizings are larger for the case, obviously.

All the best with the search

p.s. edited to add, I would concur with the post above about auto vs. quartz. If it is absolutely a daily then auto OK, otherwise ensure comfort with winding and resetting watch so it gets maximum wear. I usually have to reset the above on a weekly basis!
    Last edited by Lippy; 23rd April 2017 at 15:12.

Craftsman
    How about something like this? You could get it well within budget and it is available on a bracelet (albeit I think the strap is much nicer)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I would also double check that the size you are looking at fits her wrists. I have fairly tiny wrists (5 3/4") and find that whilst I can wear up to about 36mm on a bracelet (a datejust) beyond that a strap fits far better. The size and shape of lugs can also be crucial in stopping a watch looking like a jangly bracelet which will inevitably get bashed.

Craftsman
    How about a Seiko SARB033 I think they're great value and at 38m should be a nice size. Can pick them up for £250

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
    Lovely idea for a gift, I'm sure part of the enjoyment will be in the choice - so don't rush :)

I've said before on the forum that I'm a big fan of Oris. I bought my wife a big pointer date for less than your budget from a highstreet jewellers sale (sorry I can't remember which). It doesn't meet all of your criteria, but sharing as an illustration of where you budget may go and if the brand is suitable.

https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-bi...031-07-8-14-30

They do a chrono in the artelier range and also the big crown, but the sizings are larger for the case, obviously.

All the best with the search

p.s. edited to add, I would concur with the post above about auto vs. quartz. If it is absolutely a daily then auto OK, otherwise ensure comfort with winding and resetting watch so it gets maximum wear. I usually have to reset the above on a weekly basis!
    I was going to post the same...

Craftsman
    How about a vintage longines or omega. Plenty to choose from around £500 I'd imagine.

Sent from my VFD 900 using TZ-UK mobile app