closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: REVIEW: Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph 9900 - 2017

Blog Entries

REVIEW: Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph 9900 - 2017

To some this is a marmite watch. It is one I had not really considered until I was passing through N. Terminal Gatwick a couple of weeks ago and said to the wife we should have a look in the Omega boutique. They had the usual DSOTM, GSOTM, Seamaster, DeVille - nothing special. Then I saw the (new) GMT ceramic with white/black. But the orange Chrono caught my wife's eye. So they both came out of the display for a quick look. I was actually surprised to find the Chrono fitted rather well after a couple of goes getting the silicon strap (on deployant) adjusted to my wrist. The white / black GMT just left me cold and didn't click with me. But the Chrono was the chosen one.

First impressions: Very well made and excellent attention to detail. The feel of the Chronograph needs to be experienced to be appreciated. The buttons just totally snap into place. I have tried the original Speedmaster and though tried and tested there is no comparison - I am sure I will burned for heresy but this is a much improved chronograph. There is no play and the second hand snaps back perfectly to 12 on reset.

I really like the 9900 movement which has a mini-12h clock at 3 o'clock with minute and hour hands - the minute being lumed and orange accented. The smaller hour hand hides behind until the chronograph is engaged. So this will track up to 12hrs elapsed for the chronograph. The 9 o'clock side it the second hand. There is a book value 70hour power reserve which will improve over all precision.

Aesthetically - the watch face is well balanced with all stick indices white lumed on black with metal (silver?) surround which catch the light along with the hands to make this a highly legible watch under all lighting conditions. Hour and minute hands are 'broad-arrow' tipped all lumed - with the minute hand just a slight different lume colour to show elapsed time from the lumed bezel pipe under dark conditions.

Practically - this watch has its pedigree as a diver: 600m wrt - pushers that can be operated underwater - unidirectional dive bezel with first 15m invaded orange silicon to match the other accents - 12 is the only arabic numeric on the watch face (no lumed). The silicon strap is black and orange sandwich with orange stitching - great for water use or being near the pool-side.

The case is finished with some polished and other brushed angles. The case back is sapphire showing the movement and has scalloped edges different from it's immediate predecessor. And the case profile is such that the lugs do not over hang but instead fit my wrist well even if it is a 'high' case. I find the height is offset by the wider case.

Measurements:
    19.1mm - highest point - the domed sapphire crsytal face to (flat) case back -tapering to 17.7mm to the inside bezel (next to crystal)
    45.5mm - diameter (not including pushers or crown)
    51.5 mm - lug - lug width

Here are some detail pictures:

And a pool side shot:

Thanks for reading.

Martyn

Thanks for another good review, in this low footfall forum. I do like the "fun" aspect - no one needs a $6K (or whatever) waterproof chrono, so why not make it enjoyable? This manages that.

By the way, was it a near-midnight swim, judging by the date position?
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 24th April 2017 at 00:42.

Craftsman
    Nice review, really like this piece. How much did you save on rrp?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Nice review, really like this piece. How much did you save on rrp?

The VAT equivalent off MRP (at the airport).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    By the way, was it a near-midnight swim, judging by the date position?
    good spot! Last pic was on a different day - but nice thought!

A beautiful watch that really does it for me ... and a great review

With regard to the bezel ... the orange on there is silicon/rubber Martyn??

Journeyman
    Thanks for the great review! Really like the 9900 chronos but unfortunately too big for my wrist!

Craftsman
    Very nice, I do like these new ceramic POs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    A beautiful watch that really does it for me ... and a great review

With regard to the bezel ... the orange on there is silicon/rubber Martyn??
    I believe it's a type of rubber. Some sites say Omega have tested it to death under simulated stress environments so should be good for many years along with the ceramic.

M

Banned
    Great review , thoroughly enjoyed that

Seikoboy

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

To some this is a marmite watch. It is one I had not really considered until I was passing through N. Terminal Gatwick a couple of weeks ago and said to the wife we should have a look in the Omega boutique. They had the usual DSOTM, GSOTM, Seamaster, DeVille - nothing special. Then I saw the (new) GMT ceramic with white/black. But the orange Chrono caught my wife's eye. So they both came out of the display for a quick look. I was actually surprised to find the Chrono fitted rather well after a couple of goes getting the silicon strap (on deployant) adjusted to my wrist. The white / black GMT just left me cold and didn't click with me. But the Chrono was the chosen one.

First impressions: Very well made and excellent attention to detail. The feel of the Chronograph needs to be experienced to be appreciated. The buttons just totally snap into place. I have tried the original Speedmaster and though tried and tested there is no comparison - I am sure I will burned for heresy but this is a much improved chronograph. There is no play and the second hand snaps back perfectly to 12 on reset.

I really like the 9900 movement which has a mini-12h clock at 3 o'clock with minute and hour hands - the minute being lumed and orange accented. The smaller hour hand hides behind until the chronograph is engaged. So this will track up to 12hrs elapsed for the chronograph. The 9 o'clock side it the second hand. There is a book value 70hour power reserve which will improve over all precision.

Aesthetically - the watch face is well balanced with all stick indices white lumed on black with metal (silver?) surround which catch the light along with the hands to make this a highly legible watch under all lighting conditions. Hour and minute hands are 'broad-arrow' tipped all lumed - with the minute hand just a slight different lume colour to show elapsed time from the lumed bezel pipe under dark conditions.

Practically - this watch has its pedigree as a diver: 600m wrt - pushers that can be operated underwater - unidirectional dive bezel with first 15m invaded orange silicon to match the other accents - 12 is the only arabic numeric on the watch face (no lumed). The silicon strap is black and orange sandwich with orange stitching - great for water use or being near the pool-side.

The case is finished with some polished and other brushed angles. The case back is sapphire showing the movement and has scalloped edges different from it's immediate predecessor. And the case profile is such that the lugs do not over hang but instead fit my wrist well even if it is a 'high' case. I find the height is offset by the wider case.

Measurements:
    19.1mm - highest point - the domed sapphire crsytal face to (flat) case back -tapering to 17.7mm to the inside bezel (next to crystal)
    45.5mm - diameter (not including pushers or crown)
    51.5 mm - lug - lug width

Here are some detail pictures:

And a pool side shot:

Thanks for reading.

Martyn
    What a great review, changed my impression of Omega as a result. Well done Martyn and thanks ;-)

Craftsman
    Excellent review.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Great review, loved the close ups and the case at the back.

Great post Martyn. That looks the business. Wanna do a swap with my 8500?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Great post Martyn. That looks the business. Wanna do a swap with my 8500?
    Not right now