closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member, my small collection, and what's next?

Master

New member, my small collection, and what's next?

Hello there, good people of tz-uk.

I have been a regular poster on another forum but am delighted to find this UK based site.

I wanted to say hi, and tell you about my collection and next target purchase.

Professionally, I am a boring commercial lawyer. At home, I am a sports fanatic (rugby (both codes) in particular) and, of course, watch obsessed. I turn 30 this year. I'm a northerner but spend part of my working week in the big smoke.

I am quite new to mechanical watches. It has been about a year since I bought my first one. I started with a couple of Raymond Weils, a Certina and a Tag Heuer Aquaracer coming and going before settling on my current trio:

- Seiko SKX007. This is my beater, and is constantly having its straps changed around. Love it, very accurate for a 7S26. I picked this up early and it has stayed with me.

- Tudor Black Bay 79230N. This was my grail watch. It took some time to build up psychologically to getting into this price point (hence the others coming and going). The in house movement is incredible, power reserve and all. Some say it is bulky, but it fits my wrist very well and I don't notice the depth. I genuinely prefer it to the Sub or any other diver.

- Omega Speedmaster FOIS. This was a gift from my parents, found locally from a respected used jeweller. Great deal, great watch. I fell both for the marketing story on this one but also the dressier hands and vintage look. The Speedy Pro is of course THE icon, but for me the FOIS is the more versatile and better looking piece.

What's next? Well... I want a 4 watch collection. I'm not one for having lots and lots of pieces. I have two paths in mind:

1. Add another watch on the same level as, or higher than, the Tudor and Omega. Something like an Omega Aqua Terra, IWC flieger, Tag Heuer Monaco, maybe a Zenith or Glashutte Original of some sort. I have the typical split feelings about Rolex, status symbol vs got to have in the collection. I am looking at the Explorer 1 or 2, or the OP39.

2. Add a versatile watch that sits between the Seiko and the other two, preferably German, up to £1k. My only regret in flipping watches was briefly having a Sinn 556 that I sold quickly as I decided to go for the Tudor earlier than planned. The Sinn was a beauty. Alternatives in this price range for me are something from Nomos or Damasko or maybe a Hamilton Khaki or Stowa flieger. The 104 is too similar to what I have (don't want another black bezel...).

Obviously, being watch mad, the most likely third path is to go for path 2 followed by path 1, but I am still in the denial stage where I think I can stop soon!

I would be very grateful for thoughts on the next purchase. I toy between trying to find a white/silver dial to add some contrast, but most of what I like is black dialled. I have a tendency towards watches with history behind them.

I will add pictures of the current collection when I have figured out how to get the size of the file accepted.

Thanks for reading :)

Master
    Welcome onboard ! A nice collection you have already. In your shoes I would be looking for something a bit formal and not particularly sporty or dive. I think that a Nomos would fit the bill very nicely. Your choice, of course, but I think one of their offerings would complement what you have.

Regards

Gary

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by gc52; 22nd April 2017 at 11:50.

Welcome ,some nice pieces there ,from another northerner who finds himself in the south most weeks,stopped playing rugby about 15 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That's quite a collection to start out with! Nice one. Those Black Bay's do keep drawing my eye...

Great first post Berty, welcome.

You have 3 very nice watches already. In your position, the fourth watch should be something dressy IMO.

Grand Master
    Welcome, and I agree that something dressy would suit the collection. I'm impressed with the Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim auto, a 2892 movement, 43mm and the finish is excellent at the price. They can be picker up cheaper than list.
    https://shopuk.hamiltonwatch.com/h38...FUc8Gwodd0MArA
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Welcome, and I agree that something dressy would suit the collection. I'm impressed with the Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim auto, a 2892 movement, 43mm and the finish is excellent at the price. They can be picker up cheaper than list.
    https://shopuk.hamiltonwatch.com/h38...FUc8Gwodd0MArA
    I am also from Hull!

Journeyman
    I agree with dressy and German. Maybe Stowa MO or Dornblueth, or something more Bauhaus, or if you want something more quirky possibly an einzeiger

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I can only echo the more dressy thoughts for an addition to your collection. Personally I would go with a timeless vintage Omega Geneve/Seamaster or similar.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Last edited by Berty234; 22nd April 2017 at 11:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Wannabe Yorkshireman

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Wannabe Yorkshireman

I am "Yorkshire-light".

Born and always lived here, but southern mum and Lancs dad

Grand Master
    I am also from Hull!
    there are a few of us...
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Good to see similar views on German watches.

I'm thinking Nomos Club or Orion, re-buy Sinn 556, or a Stowa marine or flieger. Any left field German ideas? Not a big fan of the Junghans Max Bill. Need to decide on dressy vs piloty

Grand Master
    Have a look at Archimede, i recently sold this, but only because i had to shrink the collection a little after some recent buys, 45mm isn't for everyone but they do make it in smaller sizes too.

I'm thinking Nomos Club or Orion, re-buy Sinn 556, or a Stowa marine or flieger. Any left field German ideas? Not a big fan of the Junghans Max Bill. Need to decide on dressy vs piloty
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I see you consider a marine style watch. I bought an Archimede a couple of years ago to test the water for a Dornblüth purchase, I love the style and the watch so much I keep deferring the Dornblüth. They are lovely to wind and wear. However you might also consider the PRS-39 Sewills Ferreira from our host, a different take on the style with a lovely upgraded 3/4 plate movement. http://www.timefactors.com/sewills.htm

Last edited by magirus; 22nd April 2017 at 12:06.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

That's a great looking piece

Master
    You have great choices so far. I agree with the sentiment of a dress watch being the gap. Grand Seiko?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!

Splendid selection that you have there. I would agree with the above post re considering a nice vintage dress piece such as an Omega Seamaster.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Splendid selection that you have there. I would agree with the above post re considering a nice vintage dress piece such as an Omega Seamaster.
    Thank you, sir. My only concern with vintage is not knowing enough to make sure I'm not being duped! I do actually have a vintage Certina gold plated dress watch (it was my Gran's uncle's watch, and she gave it to me when she heard I was into watches). I don't include in the collection as it isn't worn and I treat it as something to look after and keep for family reasons.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your watches.

If you do decide to look at vintage watches, there is an incredible range of knowledge in the forum, from knowing the good from the bad to servicing and repairing. Lots of members who are generous with their time as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Welcome and thanks for sharing your watches.

If you do decide to look at vintage watches, there is an incredible range of knowledge in the forum, from knowing the good from the bad to servicing and repairing. Lots of members who are generous with their time as well.
    Good to know, thank you. This seems like a superb forum. Think I will migrate over from the other one. :)

Master
    welcome and fantastic trio. i recently posted my sotc and i also have a 3 watch rotation with a very tempting 4th slot but since i've been in the game far longer and i kinda see myself in your collection i wish to say a few words but by all means please do not think of this as a lecture or preaching. Just my experience:

1) Ask yourself do you really want that 4th watch is it even necessary or is it some mental artificial "need" to fulfill something. i personally realised i am super happy with 4 even tho my watch case has 4 slots and it's ever so tempting to "fill" that spot.
    2) Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need XYZ. Like i don't have a dress watch so i need a dress, chronograph etc. Just get the watch YOU love and like. If you want a diver get a diver. Dress watches i feel are highly unversatile and personally at your age (i'm 33) i still rarely use a dress watch and i stick to my sport watches most of the time.

3) i would personally go for option 1. reason being there only so much watches you can wear. Quality > Quantity all day for me. Doesn't mean i'm saying IWC is superior to say Sinn. Both have their merits. Get the Sinn if you genuinely love that one. But don't get say a Sinn pilots if u really wanted the IWC for example.

4) Looking at your collection i see that you like classic designs but also dark faces and not averse to having a date. So i would say something like: The new tag heuer autavia they just released, Rolex explorer I, IWC mark XVIII.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    welcome and fantastic trio. i recently posted my sotc and i also have a 3 watch rotation with a very tempting 4th slot but since i've been in the game far longer and i kinda see myself in your collection i wish to say a few words but by all means please do not think of this as a lecture or preaching. Just my experience:

1) Ask yourself do you really want that 4th watch is it even necessary or is it some mental artificial "need" to fulfill something. i personally realised i am super happy with 4 even tho my watch case has 4 slots and it's ever so tempting to "fill" that spot.
    2) Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need XYZ. Like i don't have a dress watch so i need a dress, chronograph etc. Just get the watch YOU love and like. If you want a diver get a diver. Dress watches i feel are highly unversatile and personally at your age (i'm 33) i still rarely use a dress watch and i stick to my sport watches most of the time.

3) i would personally go for option 1. reason being there only so much watches you can wear. Quality > Quantity all day for me. Doesn't mean i'm saying IWC is superior to say Sinn. Both have their merits. Get the Sinn if you genuinely love that one. But don't get say a Sinn pilots if u really wanted the IWC for example.

4) Looking at your collection i see that you like classic designs but also dark faces and not averse to having a date. So i would say something like: The new tag heuer autavia they just released, Rolex explorer I, IWC mark XVIII.

Wise words, well received.

I do want to bring in a 4th, mainly because I see myself using the Seiko less and only for water activities, gym etc. So I see the other 2 I have plus the new one forming the core 3 watch rotation.

With that in mind, the reason I am torn between going for a more expensive vs less expensive 4th is that I am not sure if I want to have 3 watches of relatively high value, or 2 plus a "cheaper" (relatively speaking) watch that I can baby a bit less. Then again, will I still want the higher value piece later? Tough to say.

I don't think I want a dress watch, as the FOIS is quite dressy. I always come back to that opinion when I think about it. Maybe a Damasko with hardened case would be a good option as the third of the core trio.

Hear what you say though, I do indeed like the classics. I think a pilot type is the front runner. As you say, I also need to think about whether I really want the IWC or if I would be more than happy with a Sinn, Damasko, Stowa.
    Last edited by Berty234; 22nd April 2017 at 14:38.

Craftsman
    Great first post. Some lovely pieces. Welcome to the forum.

Go for the Explorer (214270) , it's near to perfect and never screams its lastname... Get it used, so you won't be scared about scratches and enjoy the wearing

Welcome!

The thing that strikes me most on your intro is the desire to try to hit the perfect trio (plus beater SKX) so early. Since you don't have a strong idea on the type of watch to fill the 3rd hole, I'd suggest you need to adventure a while longer. Why not just spend a couple of years buying watches you simply like and see where your tastes develop before pinning down the perfect collection? Aim at brands and designs you admire and don't worry about the overlap. Flip them when you need to and simply enjoy the hunt.

Thats what brings most folk to these places. :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Welcome!

The thing that strikes me most on your intro is the desire to try to hit the perfect trio (plus beater SKX) so early. Since you don't have a strong idea on the type of watch to fill the 3rd hole, I'd suggest you need to adventure a while longer. Why not just spend a couple of years buying watches you simply like and see where your tastes develop before pinning down the perfect collection? Aim at brands and designs you admire and don't worry about the overlap. Flip them when you need to and simply enjoy the hunt.

Thats what brings most folk to these places. :-)
    Makes sense. Given I seem to be talking myself into going for an entry level model from the Sinn/Damasko/Stowa ranges next, it might well be that I try a couple of them and end up going back to option 1 later. Makes it more fun in the meantime I guess!

Lovely collection. Mine is rubbish in comparison

Master
    Definitely well thought out quality over quantity. Maybe you could get yourself a vintage dress watch, Omega, Longine, JLC, IWC. Personally I think the sweet spot are from Omega, either Constellation or dressy Deville , Seamaster . Loads out there from £500 to £1500. If you feel the need to look really smart and conservative they are the ticket. Plus horologically they were (are) top of the pile for the mass produced 60's watches.

Master
    I forgot Muhle Glashutte. They do a very nice flieger. Any one with direct experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Definitely well thought out quality over quantity. Maybe you could get yourself a vintage dress watch, Omega, Longine, JLC, IWC. Personally I think the sweet spot are from Omega, either Constellation or dressy Deville , Seamaster . Loads out there from £500 to £1500. If you feel the need to look really smart and conservative they are the ticket. Plus horologically they were (are) top of the pile for the mass produced 60's watches.

I think this is great advice. You tell us you're a corporate lawyer hitting 30, and because you mentioned it, I assume this professional/career context is of some bearing on your choice.

Your collection to date is an excellent one, but if one had to advise it broad terms, it might be to note that none re particularly formal. I'd say think of something smallish, classy and doesn't look as if it's trying to hard.

Nice selection so far...

I think you had it right in your first post. Something that is a sports / dress cross over, like a nomos club or a oyster perpetual 39.

Go for a non black dial though for a little variety.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    there are a few of us...
    Hullian living in the south here as well.

Apprentice
    How about the sinn 365?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Omega AT 2500 would compliment (imho) nicely what you already have

A white Stowa Marine Original I reckon. There's a lot of black going on in your current 3 and the Stowa is a lovely watch. I have the Marine Automatic and have been nothing but impressed with it.

Master
    Nice first post and welcome

Nice collection OP, it's anyone's guess what it'll look like this time next year!

In your shoes I think I'd be looking for an Explorer I and maybe a Speedbird III as well.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post

Go for a non black dial though for a little variety.
    *But* ... the OP does like black dials; nothing wrong with building his collection around that as a unifying theme.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    *But* ... the OP does like black dials; nothing wrong with building his collection around that as a unifying theme.
    I do tend to go back to black dials whenever looking at options. It could certainly be a theme for me.

why not playing a little bit? Being creative... A non black dial, non black bezel 40mm or less watch... Marine watches, pilot, dress, etc... You have the smart casual ones covered already...

Master
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. I think I'll take my time over it... or at least try to! :)

Master
    Well, I went with option 1 and picked up a Rolex Explorer 114270. Can't say I took my time over it in the end (an intense two days of solid research for the best deal aside)! My wife, the great woman she is, encouraged me to get on with it rather than umm and ahh for months.

After the immediate surprise of the smaller size, I am loving it. The Explorer, Speedy and Black Bay were the three big pieces I always wanted once I found my way into the hobby. I didn't think I would end up with them so quickly, but I'm not one to wait. My 4 watch collection is complete :)

Need to get the proper bracelet back on the Tudor, not sure the mesh works, but otherwise good to go.

Craftsman
    Nice addition to the collection, looks in good nick

I wear mine on a nato strap usually, but seeing yours I might have to dig the bracelet out.

Apprentice
    Nice choice! Collection looks on point! Can I asked what you paid and where you got it from?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakkajai View Post
    Nice choice! Collection looks on point! Can I asked what you paid and where you got it from?

Hi, it was from Watchfinder - 2007, box plus service card (just had full overhaul by Rolex) and two year Rolex warranty. Check the prices there and ask for discount.

Well, I went with option 1 and picked up a Rolex Explorer 114270. Can't say I took my time over it in the end (an intense two days of solid research for the best deal aside)! My wife, the great woman she is, encouraged me to get on with it rather than umm and ahh for months.

After the immediate surprise of the smaller size, I am loving it. The Explorer, Speedy and Black Bay were the three big pieces I always wanted once I found my way into the hobby. I didn't think I would end up with them so quickly, but I'm not one to wait. My 4 watch collection is complete :)

Need to get the proper bracelet back on the Tudor, not sure the mesh works, but otherwise good to go.
    Nailed it :-)

Looks great - just don't understand why the Seiko and the Tudor here?

Their Venn diagram looks like a circle to me...