closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help me pick between these two

Help me pick between these two

Hi I was going to by an Everest and then get a brown leather strap so approx under £300, but then I seen this
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/lon...watch.2092965/
    a longines conquest L37594765 41MM with a brown leather strap £300 +postage

So if you could pick only one which would it be and could you explain why for a newbie so I can learn

Thanks

Robert

Would still be the Everest for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Would still be the Everest for me

Could you explain why, as I want to learn what pushes us towards one watch over another ?

Thanks

OP you're quite new here, why people buy a particular watch over another one is such a personal thing,
    style, price, rarity, investment, size, dial, it goes on and on and every purchase can involve many of these factors, the two watches you are interested in are both good in their own ways, what do you find appealing about them?
    For me it would be the ''Everest'', dial clarity, unusual brand and not a bad long term investment going on previous Timefactors watches, you liked the Everest, but are you being swayed by the Longines as you consider it a bargain?

Good luck,
    Personally I'm sure I'll be getting an Everest sometime soon.

Master
    How about a Hamilton Khaki Field? Same price range, but great history behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Could you explain why, as I want to learn what pushes us towards one watch over another ?

Thanks
    I've had an Everest and it was great quality for the money,I think the design is a classic ,I personally just prefer it to the other,but that's my opinion

I was reading that AVF thread yesterday. I'm no familiar with Everest but Longines is Longines. Gorgeous watch. Only thing that stopped me taking it was the fact it's not mechanical.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OliverHaslam View Post
    I was reading that AVF thread yesterday. I'm no familiar with Everest but Longines is Longines. Gorgeous watch. Only thing that stopped me taking it was the fact it's not mechanical.

Can you explain why you said "longines is longines" ?

Thanks

Can you explain why you said "longines is longines" ?

Thanks
    One of the biggest names around. Proper watch company.

I honestly think it's the leather that is swaying me I just love "TaketheCannoli's" post on his Everest with the brown leather strap and when I saw the longines with the brown leather strap it started to confuse me as to why I liked both of them, but back on here now and I think I'm going down the Everest route as I like the dark face with the brown strap.

Hope you all can forgive my ramblings as I'm sure once I start a collection I shall calm down ( I hope)

Thanks

Robert

I honestly think it's the leather that is swaying me I just love "TaketheCannoli's" post on his Everest with the brown leather strap and when I saw the longines with the brown leather strap it started to confuse me as to why I liked both of them, but back on here now and I think I'm going down the Everest route as I like the dark face with the brown strap.

Hope you all can forgive my ramblings as I'm sure once I start a collection I shall calm down ( I hope)

Thanks

Robert
    It gets worse when you start collecting. Trust me.

Why not buy both, this is a watch forum and people do have collections. I could understand the hesitation if you were weighing up expensive watches and could only pick one.

I owned an Everest because it always looked superb in photos, but when I put it on my wrist it just didn't look right, I felt the case was too big (from lug to lug - not width) so I sold it.

Longines is a company with a rich history and we have already covered that the watch at half RRP is a good deal.

Quite often it down your personal taste and what looks nice to you. Even with a company like Rolex there are watches that I don't like, but others are superb - all down to personal taste.

Buy both

Everest for sure

Master
    If it was me it would be an Everest or as said Hamilton khaki field, such versatile watches and plenty of strap options.

Craftsman
    I'm a quartz guy so the Longines scores with me in the movement department ... but I'd never buy a watch that I didn't like the looks of, and the current Conquest-series design language doesn't appeal to me at all. (I was in the position to get a really good deal on the Hydroconquest quartz chronograph, but I turned it down because I just couldn't get in with the laboured buttons/crown guard setup.) Seeing that you're not partial to either type of movement, I'd go Everest because its purity of looks and form-follows-function design ethos, which I always appreciate in any product, not just in a watch.

You should be able to try a longines in the metal (?). Put it on the wrist and see what you think; shouldn't lose if half rrp anyway.

Ultimately - trust your gut a bit. Both those options are great; there's no wrong answer here, even if you feel quite new to the elements involved in your deliberations :)

Present-day Longines is nothing special. You can't beat Seiko at this budget if you're looking for something from a real in-house watchmaker instead of an assembly of mostly-generic parts.

Master
    There's a lot of forum darling about watches and brands and it's key to understand that watch affecianados will tend to love certain brands and maybe diverge away from the general public. So case in point on TZ the love of Tudor, whilst general public the love of Tag.
    The crowd on TZ who are highly knowledgable will point to genuine reasons why Tudor is great but it does provide an interesting division in taste.
    This is why you're getting this it's a Longine I'd buy the Smiths.
    A Longine Quartz will be perfectly reasonable doing its job but on here the Eddies Smiths will be loved due to its build quality and value for money.
    If I were to buy a Longine for instance it would likely be vintage or.. a pre loved recent master collection moonphase where Longine have packed the watch with complications and good build quality with a great depreciation price.

IMHO The Certina DS First is a better watch (crown is better) than the Longine Conquest.

Master
    I would go with the Everst.
    I find white dial watches working only for tie and cufflinks. I bought an Oris I liked in pictures but I didn't on the wrist.
    The Everst has that simple, classic look you have to struggle not to like.

Thanks everyone for the help on which to choose and more importantly the difference between the two and why pick one over the other, just waiting till next week till Eddie is opened up again.