closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amphibia 420SE

Amphibia 420SE

I narrowly missed this SE being sold by AndyR on SC last week but following a quick detour via Vampire's watch box it has now joined my collection.

A 420 case - my favourite.

A nicer quality bracelet that usual but still not my cup of tea - so I removed this straight away in order to fit one of my favourite straps, an old and well worn Eulit Panama.

The hands fitted to my previous SE always jarred with me - too angular and clunky

These are much nicer. I love the gold and bronze accents on the dial too.

I'm very pleased with it.

I foolishly didn't buy one of the brightly coloured sandwich dial ones that Meranom had in stock a couple of years ago so am now keeping an eye out for one of them.......
    Last edited by Velorum; 21st April 2017 at 15:49.

I rather like those paddle hands on the right watch. They're too much for a 420, but look great on the 1967.

Eulit Perlons are such a good match for these.

I had a 710 special edition with the paddle hands, I think they worked better on that than the 420, particularly with the more dressy dial on that particular 420.

Master
    Got to agree the paddle hands grate me on my 420se, love your new addition though!
    What's the bracelet quality like?

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Got to agree the paddle hands grate me on my 420se, love your new addition though!
    What's the bracelet quality like?
    The bracelet is much better - no way near as bad as regards sharp scratchy edges and overly shiny and fussy links. Unfortunately I have given up on bracelets so wont even be trying this one. Happy to send it to one of your guys FOC if you want to give it a try.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    The bracelet is much better - no way near as bad as regards sharp scratchy edges and overly shiny and fussy links. Unfortunately I have given up on bracelets so wont even be trying this one. Happy to send it to one of your guys FOC if you want to give it a try.
    Yeah I know what you mean I can't get away with bracelets now I've discovered perlon!
    Please keep me in mind if you ever decide to move the watch on 👍

That does look well indeed, good choice to use the Komandirskie hands. A bit more subtle than the chunky arrows of the Amphibia.

I was quite interested in whether they had offered a Komandirskie with the new(er) date-less 2415 movement, never really looked into it further though.

Very smart, I also like the 420 case. I have the variant with the brown dial and clean bezel, 420419B (naturally on Perlon), but it looks really sharp in black.

That's gorgeous.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    That's gorgeous.
    wow

Grand Master
    Where do you guys buy these? Want one!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Not much stock in at the moment - no 420SE's available at all.

Hopefully they will get a new batch in soon.

Also good for some hard to come by parts such as stainless steel crowns, and alternative design case backs.

I would be interested to know of a supplier for alternate hands - like these:

Last edited by Velorum; 21st April 2017 at 19:11.

Very nice Ian, I like it a lot.

I would be interested to know of a supplier for alternate hands - like these
    You could try asking in F10 on watchuseek, there's a vibrant Vostok community there.

Not a fan of that particular handset - don't think they work with either the blue or black dial variant.

Do rather like the 120 case - essentially the 060 but without the shrouded lugs. Just a shame there isn't something with 20mm lugs for the case size.

You could try asking in F10 on watchuseek, there's a vibrant Vostok community there.
    Thanks Glenn - I'll give it a try

Very good case 120, is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Not a fan of that particular handset - don't think they work with either the blue or black dial variant.
    They are quite close to the shape of the early ones though

Glad you're enjoying it Ian, looks good on the perlon. I Never got round to wearing it on anything other than the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    Glad you're enjoying it Ian, looks good on the perlon. I Never got round to wearing it on anything other than the bracelet.
    Thanks Andy. In my view they don't suit bracelets, they are best on straps.

They are quite close to the shape of the early ones though
    Thanks, I forgot the old swing lug model and hadn't considered that's where they drew the inspiration from. Still not a huge fan of the actual shape but perhaps better over time as the lume ages.

/\ nice 120 above, Martinss.

Who doesn't love a Vostok beater? Not that some of these are beaters by any stretch.
    Recently featured on the Grey NATO podcast of the best watches under $250 which is amazing as most of them are about $80.
    One of my earliest forays into this madness was a Steve Zissou inspired eBay punt on an Amphibia which I still chuckle at when I see it in the box.
    This thread may well prompt a perlon purchase for the old girl.

Johnny.

Master
    Bought my first Amphibian thirty years ago and dived with it weekly for over twenty years with no issues.
    Hard as nails, great to see Meranom bringing out some very nice Se versions, just seem to get better and better!

Looking at Mr Curta's very nice example and thinking about the bronze effect indices on mine I have ordered a polished bronze smooth bezel - it will be interesting to see how it looks:

Grand Master
    Can they be bought already modded for us hamfisted types? I'm thinking black blue dial with triangle markers, lumed bezel, steel crown.....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Can they be bought already modded for us hamfisted types? I'm thinking black blue dial with triangle markers, lumed bezel, steel crown.....
    Well although pretty much all of the parts are available from a number of sources, no one to my knowledge will assemble a custom spec one for you.

However, believe me - if I can swap movements between cases, change crowns and swap bezels about then anyone can!

All you need is a good case opener/blade thing for the bezel and an adjustable case back opener really. I use the sharp end of my Bergeon strap changing tool to depress the release button for the crown. My selection of case openers / knives came as past of a cheap eBay watch tool kit that my wife bought me as a stocking filler.

If the worst comes to the worst and you really cock it up then it isn't as if your going to be down by thousands!

Grand Master
    if you knew how many watches i wrecked in the past just trying to regulate them.......

Well although pretty much all of the parts are available from a number of sources, no one to my knowledge will assemble a custom spec one for you.

However, believe me - if I can swap movements between cases, change crowns and swap bezels about then anyone can!

All you need is a good case opener/blade thing for the bezel and an adjustable case back opener really. I use the sharp end of my Bergeon strap changing tool to depress the release button for the crown. My selection of case openers / knives came as past of a cheap eBay watch tool kit that my wife bought me as a stocking filler.

If the worst comes to the worst and you really cock it up then it isn't as if your going to be down by thousands!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I've had my beater Amphibia for years too, tough as old boots and I've also dived it in the Red Sea. I've never really liked the bezel though so just bought one from the states, it may be a bit posh though, lumed markers!

The watch.

The new bezel. ( blue PVD stainless steel apparently )

Cheers..
    Jase

Got it fitted yet Jason?

I'm still temped by the 120 case (512 or 916 dial?) - what's the general view on whether a 20mm perlon would squeeze into the 18mm lugs? Suspect a NATO would look pretty naff bunched in there. Failing that any suggestion for a 20mm bracelet with 18mm stepped end links?

Apologies for gate crashing your thread Velorum, this would appear to be the current Vostok thread..

Hasn't got here yet sadly, it's left the US though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Hmm, yes on reflection three days for carriage and delivery was probably a little presumptuous on my part!

Ha! 😀👍
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks TZ-UK
    Checked that link and I now have 2 of the GMT version on their way to me
    One of each colour as I couldn't decide.

I have one of these smooth bezels for the 420 somewhere in the watch box, if anyone wants it please shout and I will dig it out and pop it in the post.

John

Master
    Ordered some basic tools to start some simple mods, can anyone recommend a step by step guide to Amphibia modding? For example how do you release the crown to change to an upgraded version?
    Cheers 
    Sorry to hijack the thread Velorum!
    Last edited by barryw; 25th April 2017 at 15:04.

et voila

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/ana...tok-68330.html

The caseback design and gasket to me is one of the most interesting features of an Amphibia, can't think of anything else that approximates it.

Master
    et voila

The caseback design and gasket to me is one of the most interesting features of an Amphibia, can't think of anything else that approximates it.
    Great! Thanks for that.
    Stupid question so do you remove the screw totally to release the crown? Looks like you have to put a fine implement into the hole near by?? To release the crown? Sorry for primitive description! 🙃

Here we go again...

Great! Thanks for that.
    Stupid question so do you remove the screw totally to release the crown? Looks like you have to put a fine implement into the hole near by?? To release the crown? Sorry for primitive description! 
    It's just a button. Unscrew the crown and pull it to the hand setting position, depress the crown release with said implement and gently pull the crown.

Master
    Cheers!

Great! Thanks for that.
    Stupid question so do you remove the screw totally to release the crown? Looks like you have to put a fine implement into the hole near by?? To release the crown? Sorry for primitive description! 
    Ah sorry, I can't remember, from memory I think I used a cocktail stick to depress the release button? But this would have been years ago now.

There's an Amphibia modding thread here which might have better advice or of course the enthusiastic Russian forum at WUS.

edit- oops, sorry crossed thread with Mr Curta. Slow typing.

Master
    ^^^Appreciate it^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Very smart, I also like the 420 case. I have the variant with the brown dial and clean bezel, 420419B (naturally on Perlon), but it looks really sharp in black.

Had to come back for another peruse - could I ask, where did this Perlon come from? Looks more textured than Eulit ones I've come across before.
    Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by jchlu View Post
    Had to come back for another peruse - could I ask, where did this Perlon come from? Looks more textured than Eulit ones I've come across before.
    Johnny.
    It's a thick weave vintage Eulit Panama, I like them a lot as they are very comfortable. Unfortunately they are becoming very difficult to get hold of at a decent price, timesofplenty in the US sometimes has stock via their eBay store but as said, not cheap.

Here are some of the others, also on Amphibia 420s so that the thread does not creep too much!

And here's the dark brown one again, on a sandwich dial 420SE with a swapped out bezel and insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    It's a thick weave vintage Eulit Panama, I like them a lot as they are very comfortable. Unfortunately they are becoming very difficult to get hold of at a decent price, timesofplenty in the US sometimes has stock via their eBay store but as said, not cheap.

Here are some of the others, also on Amphibia 420s so that the thread does not creep too much!

And here's the dark brown one again, on a sandwich dial 420SE with a swapped out bezel and insert.

Marvellous!
    Will keep an eye out.

I have this old one that I replaced the bezel on.
    It has tritium lume so I presume it has some age to it.
    I picked it up at a militaria fair looking for bit for my Willys jeep rebuild.
    I tend to only wear it when working on the jeep now.

et voila

That's the page that helped me get to grips with crown removal

Ah sorry, I can't remember, from memory I think I used a cocktail stick to depress the release button? But this would have been years ago now.
    I use the pointy end of a Bergeon spring bar tool

Got it fitted yet Jason?

I'm still temped by the 120 case (512 or 916 dial?) - what's the general view on whether a 20mm perlon would squeeze into the 18mm lugs? Suspect a NATO would look pretty naff bunched in there. Failing that any suggestion for a 20mm bracelet with 18mm stepped end links?

Apologies for gate crashing your thread Velorum, this would appear to be the current Vostok thread..
    No worries!

I doubt that a 20mm perlon would fit very well on 18mm lugs - well not if its a Eulit Panama or Krystal anyway, as they are quite stiff.
    Last edited by Velorum; 26th April 2017 at 08:40.

Thanks Velorum, good to know. Cheers