closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amanda Coker Year Mileage Record on a bike

Master
    Blog Entries

Amanda Coker Year Mileage Record on a bike

Last year Kurt Searvogel posted a year-end total of 76,076 miles (122,432km) to set a new Highest Annual Mileage Record. That surpassed the 77 year old record of British Cyclist Tommy Godwin.

Today Amanda Coker, on the 341st day of her challenge, reached 80,000 miles with 24 days left to run. That's 234 miles a day average. She's currently knocking out 260-270 miles a day in the run up to the end of her year. Quite remarkable, especially because she's smashing the men's record. The current women's record is 32,326 miles.

I've been following this with interest since she started. It's an absolutely mind boggling achievement that might just put the record "on the shelf".

There are many people who are quick to criticise what she is doing (riding around a sheltered, flat circuit away from cars) however.... 230+ miles a day, every day, for a year! I don't care if it's flat that's still a hell of a riding performance.

The amazing thing for me is that she is currently knocking out 260-270 miles at an average of 20-21 mph day after day after day.

Steve Abraham (who tried for the record and failed - partly due to suffering a broken ankle after a moped rider knocked him off) is having another go and I wish him every success but it will take some going to beat what is looking likely to be around 86000 miles from Amanda.

Cheers,

Mark C

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I've been following this with interest since she started. It's an absolutely mind boggling achievement that might just put the record "on the shelf".

There are many people who are quick to criticise what she is doing (riding around a sheltered, flat circuit away from cars) however.... 230+ miles a day, every day, for a year! I don't care if it's flat that's still a hell of a riding performance.

The amazing thing for me is that she is currently knocking out 260-270 miles at an average of 20-21 mph day after day after day.

Steve Abraham (who tried for the record and failed - partly due to suffering a broken ankle after a moped rider knocked him off) is having another go and I wish him every success but it will take some going to beat what is looking likely to be around 86000 miles from Amanda.

Cheers,

Mark C
    IIRC Steve was still doing 100+ miles a day, one-legged on a recumbent, while his fractured ankle healed. I think Steve will have little chance of beating Amanda's record, not least because he's doing it on British roads, in British weather & isn't riding on a pan-flat route. There's something peculiarly British about his attempts though

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    IIRC Steve was still doing 100+ miles a day, one-legged on a recumbent, while his fractured ankle healed. I think Steve will have little chance of beating Amanda's record, not least because he's doing it on British roads, in British weather & isn't riding on a pan-flat route. There's something peculiarly British about his attempts though
    He's currently matching Amanda's early daily averages though so I live in hope. His videos are hilarious (links on Strrava).

Mark C

Master
    Blog Entries
    He's currently matching Amanda's early daily averages though so I live in hope. His videos are hilarious (links on Strrava).

Mark C
    Haha, yes I follow them both on Strava. I see Amanda's carrying on after the year to try & beat Tommy Godwin's 100,000 mile record

I wonder if one might attempt the record on an exercise bike?

When I was able to ride a bike I used to take part in a challenge based on riding 100+ mile rides, there was one Sunday that I needed to do one when the weather was damp and blowing a gale, I thought it would be easy to do it by riding round a reservoir on a sheltered, flat 3 mile circuit away from cars and I failed because I simply couldn't maintain my focus on the overall distance. So good luck to her whichever way she managed it.

Master
    It’s not sheltered. The location is known as “The Windy Woods”, one reason for her use of a recumbent for some of the time.