closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heft

Heft

Having a weighty steel watch on your wrist can give the impression of solidity and even quality sometimes, but at the same time beyond a certain point extra weight makes a watch less comfortable (though you do tend to get used to it).

Especially for diving watches, do you prefer that hefty feeling or do you see it as a pure disadvantage?

It's perhaps surprising that a bigger proportion of larger-sized divers aren't made in titanium - is this precisely because many people welcome the weightiness of steel, or is it maybe because there's something about the look and/or feel of titanium that some people dislike?

Master
    Weight, heft is often confused with quality and being solid. All it really 'says' about a watch and / or bracelet, is that it's heavy.

Master
    I have a cheap Accurist - it weighs a ton!!! Quality is a bit iffy so its due to of cheap & heavy materials, so in this case weight is definitely not an indicator or quality!

I do think there is something to the weight of a watch over a lighter one, depends on how its made. Solid link or folded on the bracelet, overall size of the head and bracelet.
    Going by what i see on the microbrand forums, a lot of people like a big weighty watch, mostly divers.
    When i got my first Rolex, i was surprised how light it was in comparison to most of my other divers ( mainly microbrand) and initially was dissapointed but soon realised heavy isnt better.
    Then when i got a Pelagos it was a revelation, bigger and lighter, result really. well for me at least.

It probably depends on the style of the watch, as you say. I like the heft of my SDc and wouldn't particularly want it to be light as it makes sense to feel heavy somehow, but feel the lightness adds to the elegance of a JLC MUT (and being light in this case certainly doesn't negatively impact the impression of quality!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    My daily wearer - an MM300 - is heavy/hefty but I don't mind the weight at all (the case shape and 4 o'clock crown help with comfort on the wrist). That said, when I do wear a lighter watch for a while, I notice the weight of the Seiko when I return to it - so the 'getting used to the weight' is certainly at play.

As others have said, weight/heft can be found in cheaper and more expensive watches

ATB

Jon

Most of the divers that I have owned have been fairly heavy, especially on the SS bracelets. I did own an Aquanaut for a while on the composite strap and that weighed next to nothing, at times you didn't even feel as though you were wearing a watch.

I have just weighed my Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub and that comes in at 201g, which is heavier than all the Steinharts that I have owned. Most of them were in the 190s.

Master
    This is strange...and irrational. I have one gold watch, with bracelet. It feels obviously heavier than any of my steel watches, and somehow 'warmer.' I love the feel of it, but it must just be a mental trick, because I doubt I would feel the same about a watch lined with lead, but I would probably love platinum.
    I have light titanium watches, which are comfy, but I seem to miss the weight. Daft really, but there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    This is strange...and irrational. I have one gold watch, with bracelet. It feels obviously heavier than any of my steel watches, and somehow 'warmer.'
    I like the gold GMT Master for the same reason. You can feel the reassuring weight of the gold in it.

And conversely, this is why I don't own a Pelagos. It feels suspiciously light, almost fake, somehow. (Flame-proof underpants on.)

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I like the gold GMT Master for the same reason. You can feel the reassuring weight of the gold
    I tried one of these last week in an AD and now think I need one, I actually put up a WTB it was so nice.

Heaviest watch I have by a country mile is the Oris Aquis on bracelet. It's the only one I genuinely notice the weight of - it's a brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I don't have any high-quality watches, and I certainly don't think the heavier ones are better due to weight alone, but I do like them slightly on the heavier side. My heaviest one, an Elgin 1000 ft diver chronograph (165 g according to the kitchen scale), is bordering on being too heavy: I certainly notice it more often as I move my arm, but it doesn't bother me enough to fit a rubber strap instead of the solid-link bracelet, for example.

The watch in question:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Pussies

mike

Craftsman
    The weight is another important element in the watch to me. In the same way that women will play with their jewellery, I find myself enjoying the weight of a watch, particularly if it's fitted a little looser to move on my wrist. Done subconciously, sometimes the enjoyment of playing with my watch and the feel of it is more important than the look or the timekeeping! Excuse me if that sounds very odd...

Master
    I don't mind a hefty watch as long as it wears well and comfortably. This is the heaviest I have had so far and is extremely comfortable, and I have moved on a planet ocean XL and Seawolf as they were very large and heavy

Quote Originally Posted by tabascokid View Post
    The weight is another important element in the watch to me. In the same way that women will play with their jewellery, I find myself enjoying the weight of a watch, particularly if it's fitted a little looser to move on my wrist. Done subconciously, sometimes the enjoyment of playing with my watch and the feel of it is more important than the look or the timekeeping! Excuse me if that sounds very odd...
    Whatever floats your boat mate!