Ok, I figured there would be a receptive audience here, by most accounts the average TZ punter is eking out the years a bit and either has kids or has had them.

I'll be honest, I find having kids (2 young boys) both the source of my greatest joys in life but also some of my greatest frustrations - and I'm not really talking about the obvious unruly behaviour. On the face of it, I'm asking for some advice on how to best spend 'quality' time with them, but open to the collective wisdom of more than just lists, some real heart-to-heart stuff about maybe what made your own dad great, or for the older members, what you saw as enriching times/activities with your own kids.

I never had much experience growing up in an extended family, and whilst my dad is a lovely guy, he was never a strong role model. When I had babies of my own I didn't really know what to do with them (and found the 0-2yr stages very difficult), so deferred most of the decisions to my wife (though I was always there, more than most I'd say, helping along the way).

But now they're a few years older, that dynamic has stuck. Whilst I've still got the same involvement, I'd like to be more active as a decision maker, as I feel like I've become too passive in that respect (and most respects probably), sometimes I feel like The Invisible Man. As boys get older, I think they need a stronger male role model in their formative years. However, I get massively frustrated because, whenever I get the opportunity to have one-to-one time with them, I'm at a loss of what to do...it's like I've got zero imagination and have forgotten how to play!

I do realise there's probably an element of being too hard on myself, but it's still true nonetheless and there's always room for self-improvement.
So TZ, let's have it!