closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Ladies Datejust chip in glass

Craftsman

Rolex Ladies Datejust chip in glass

Hi, I am thinking of buying the wife a Rolex date just as a birthday present. I found what i think is a nice one, £4600 2006 model, MOP face, body looks very nice with very little marks present but there is a tiny little chip on the edge of the glass face. It is very tiny (mind you the watch is at 26mm) and i was wondering if anyone knows if it can be repaired. I have no pictures to show you so appreciate it would be based purely on your knowledge, expert opinion. Anyone got any advice or wise words they can offer me?

Certainly no expert, but I understand that Rolex won't change the glass unless it is part of a service, which makes sense if you think about it. It might be wise to pass on this watch and look elsewhere as it is bound to annoy you once you know it is there.

Pop a picture of the watch up, then if anyone sees one they can let you know.

I know that Russell Talerman who are Rolex accredited will change a Rolex crystal without a service, maybe give them a call.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mark563 View Post
    Hi, I am thinking of buying the wife a Rolex date just as a birthday present. I found what i think is a nice one, £4600 2006 model, MOP face, body looks very nice with very little marks present but there is a tiny little chip on the edge of the glass face. It is very tiny (mind you the watch is at 26mm) and i was wondering if anyone knows if it can be repaired. I have no pictures to show you so appreciate it would be based purely on your knowledge, expert opinion. Anyone got any advice or wise words they can offer me?
    I suspect the answer is no. If it is on the edge, you might make it more obvious by having someone try and smooth it down. Assuming it doesn't risk the water resistance, you either have to live with it or look at getting it replaced - and then the cost needs to be factored in.

I bought a Sub with two or three minute pitting marks on the crystal. When you ran your nail across you felt as though something was stuck to the crystal. Only very close examination showed the problem. I'm not a diver but wasn't sure whether there might be some weakness created by the damage (despite it being all but invisible to the naked eye). I bit the bullet and had it replaced at the service. Good few years ago now and I can't recall the cost.

Grand Master
    There's no sense whatsoever in the Rolex edict that the watch has to be serviced if the glass is chipped. I'll argue that point with any of the so-called experts, it makes no sense. Sure, a watch with a chipped crystal may have had a hard knock but the watch should be assessed with an open mind and the right judgement excercised......... this is a concept alien to the robotic Swiss psyche and that's the reason Rolex take an inflexible line.

There are some exellent generic sapphire crystals around for most Rolex models, my own Datejust has one thst was fitted by my good self. However, there's also the option of having the crystal polished to make the chip less obvious, I've just done this with a TAG crystal and it definitely looks much better.

£4600 sounds a bit heavy given the age of the watch, I'd be trying to haggle that down a bit.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Duncan at Genesis replaced the crystal on my wife's 26mm datejust - that was part of a service but he may well offer the replacement facility separately. He can be contacted at:

service at genesiswatchmaking.co.uk (replacing the at with @)

ATB

Jon

Apprentice

watch repair

Try Terry at this link, he services and repairs Rolex, he has serviced mine and I have arranged a couple of friends to have their watches done by him as well, always worth a phone call

http://www.reevesrepairs.co.uk/index.html