closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EBay - collection only item paid for by PayPal

Master

EBay - collection only item paid for by PayPal

Paranoid, me? Yes!

I listed a very large heavy item (aquarium) on eBay a p couple of days ago and have just agreed a sale after a couple of offers and counter offers through the 'best offer' option on the auction page. The buyer, who has 100% feedback on nearly 400 transactions paid almost instantly by PayPal. I stated the item was collection only and cash on collection preferred, but as per eBay rules the PP payment option must be included.

I am aware of the risks associated with no proof of postage etc, but what can I do here? Can I refund the chap his PayPal payment and insist he pays cash on collection. Will I be penalised for this - with a fee or otherwise?

Master
    He may well turn up and collect, I had a couple domsimilar for some aquarium rocks about 12 years ago drove from Cambridge to Dorset to collect, and left some beers as a thank you for me selling them at the price they won the auction at and not making some excuse because the sale price was low.
    Have faith.

Master
    It may well be all above board, but I've seen a good number of stories of items collected, then buyer claims item was not received. He/she the. Has the item and a refund for item not delivered. No proof of delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    It may well be all above board, but I've seen a good number of stories of items collected, then buyer claims item was not received. He/she the. Has the item and a refund for item not delivered. No proof of delivery.
    Draw up a quick document and ask them to sign to say they have collected it?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Have them sign a receipt on collection?

Blog Entries
    Can I refund the chap his PayPal payment and insist he pays cash on collection. Will I be penalised for this - with a fee or otherwise?
    Yes, refund him. You should not be penalised as fees are refunded when you activate the refund option.

As long as you included the text "cash on collection only" (if I remember correctly) in your description then you should be fine, I believe. This text is specified by eBay and actually controlled by their software, as I recall.

Do NOT under any circumstances allow collection with payment by PayPal. This is because you will have no proof of postage. Both eBay and PayPal only accept online proof of postage. If you allow a collection with payment by PayPal then you will have no proof that eBay or PayPal will accept. No other form of receipt will satisfy them.

Allowing collection with payment by PayPal (instead of cash) is a clear route to being scammed. The buyer can claim that he never received the goods and will likely be able to get a refund from eBay or PayPal.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 18th April 2017 at 21:04.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Draw up a quick document and ask them to sign to say they have collected it?.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Have them sign a receipt on collection?
    Neither eBay nor PayPal will, as far as I know, recognise such a receipt. It would be good enough for court but not for eBay or PayPal.

buyer claims item was not received. He/she the. Has the item and a refund for item not delivered. No proof of delivery.
    This.

Master
    Have issued a PayPal refund and let the buyer know that he will need to bring cash. It is crazy that it is not possible/allowable to de-select the PayPal payment option on items such as this that are collection only.

Blog Entries
    It is crazy that it is not possible/allowable to de-select the PayPal payment option on items such as this that are collection only.
    I agree. It seems insane, especially as eBay explicitly control the "cash on collection" text in the advert.

This seems to be a UK only thing. Other countries do not impose PayPal on all items.

There's an FAQ about the issue of PayPal/collection at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...4#post65282064

Craftsman
    Let's not loose sight of the fact that if the buyer pays by Paypal and you have clear evidence that they collect then any attempt at claiming it has not been delivered would be fraud so you would have recourse in terms of your legal position . Proof in terms of their photo id recorded , photos and a signed document . I guess this would be worth it for expensive items but for less expensive and bulky things I would wager they would be items that you would be glad of the space ! So leeway in payment would be prudent ?

I once sold a motorcycle which was paid for via PayPal before collection. I was a bit worried but all turned out well.

I could have reported it stolen if there'd been any funny business though.

Master
    We live in a increasingly cash less society, some peoples paypal is on there credit card, have a dialog with the buyer.

Master
    I sold a coffee table on EBay and said cash in collection. Buyer still paid with PayPal however as it was only about £5 and the reason for selling it was to save me taking it for recycling etc I wasn't too bothered! Didn't have any problems after the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Neither eBay nor PayPal will, as far as I know, recognise such a receipt. It would be good enough for court but not for eBay or PayPal.
    Good to know! In other words, unless you're prepared to take the matter to court, PayPal-and-collect is a no-no.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    In other words, unless you're prepared to take the matter to court, PayPal-and-collect is a no-no.
    Yes, that is my understanding.

Master
    Refund the Paypal payment immediately, ask for cash on collection in a polite email, therefore no chance of a reversal, if he's genuine all will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just take a pic or two of the item being collected with time/date and include pic of collecters vehicle INRS

Banned
    Blog Entries
    people actually still use ebay and paypal?

you must have missed the memo.

Master
    I sold an mx5 hardtop for £750 BIN on eBay paid via PP, that night my mate told me I might get done over.
    Contacted buyer & refunded his money, that weekend he collected, cash on collection.
    Send his money back if genuine he will collect, if not you got away.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Just take a pic or two of the item being collected with time/date and include pic of collecters vehicle INRS
    ...which PayPal will completely (and correctly) ignore as they hand your money back to a fraudulent buyer.

The T's&C's that you sign up to as a seller say that you must use a tracked delivery service - if you don't do this, then their dispute and resolution service will find against you.

Apprentice
    Paying with PayPal and collecting is against PayPal's buyer and seller protection rules. You can refuse PayPal. Just refund.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks for all the replies. I did refund his PayPal payment promptly, having spoken to him and explained first. He was ok with this, although didn't seem to understand why I did it. He collected yesterday and paid in cash, so all good in the end.

Master
    Good result.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies. I did refund his PayPal payment promptly, having spoken to him and explained first. He was ok with this, although didn't seem to understand why I did it. He collected yesterday and paid in cash, so all good in the end.
    Excellent and result.

Master
    We do treat everyone as a crook even though some people are 100% genuine, BUT there are so many scumbag lowlifes about that you must be vigilant at all times, glad it all worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk