closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does my perfect watch exist?

Does my perfect watch exist?

After years of different watches, I think I have now come close to working out what features I look for in the perfect watch. I recently got a Smiths Prs29a which is so so close to perfection for me. I find it difficult to wear anything else at the moment. But it seems the market for all the features I want is pretty small.

Manual wind, slimish, 36-39mm but pref 38mm, date!!!, good accuracy, nice domed acrylic crystal, good lume, good looking (hard to define that one)

Any suggestions? Perhaps the Smiths is as close as I'll get? The only practical problem with the Smiths is I have no idea what the date is anymore which is affecting my work! I thought the Hamilton khaki mechanical was close, which led me to the Smiths. My list doesn't seem too demanding to me. Vintage Omega Seamaster type watches come close too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was going to say the Hamilton but I see you've mentioned that.
    Nomos possibly?

Master
    Auto, rather than manual, but CWC do a remake of their 1970's Navigator (with date) - it appears to be an acrylic crystal and is 38mm incl crown.

Last edited by HappyJack; 21st April 2017 at 00:06.

Sounds like you are describing a vintage or vintage style diver .

Master
    Absolutely.

Until you get it.

Good call on the CWC HJ

Craftsman
    Nomos club datum 38mm . Very close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Your perfect watch may well exist, and you may even be able to buy it! But in 6 months, you will be seeking another perfect watch.....or least that's how life is for me!!

I've got a Nomos Ludwig Datum which I absolutely love. But it's so elegant and refined I'm reluctant to wear it outside of the office or special occasions.

I'll have to try on the Club. The Nomos brand is a dangerous thing to get too attached to though!

I'm beginning to think there isn't a watch that ticks every box. I'll look up some vintage divers, are they not mostly automatic?

Journeyman
    I love simple dials. Preferably with Arabic numerals and a case no bigger than 40mm. chrono's don't do anything for me at all. The look, size, weight and movement in my Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic are as close to perfect as I'll get. I haven't worn the Seamaster or either of my Oris watches since I got the Hamilton. That doesn't stop me hankering after another brand though. Seriously thinking about selling the Omega for the new Explorer. Goes without saying, my
    perfect watch would always have mechanical/auto movement.

Craftsman
    A PRS-5 if you can get hold of one? I really should wear mine more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
    I love simple dials. Preferably with Arabic numerals and a case no bigger than 40mm. chrono's don't do anything for me at all. The look, size, weight and movement in my Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic are as close to perfect as I'll get. I haven't worn the Seamaster or either of my Oris watches since I got the Hamilton. That doesn't stop me hankering after another brand though. Seriously thinking about selling the Omega for the new Explorer. Goes without saying, my
    perfect watch would always have mechanical/auto movement.
    Try an old explorer....14270 or 1016.

Oris 65. 40mm but wears very well.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Try an old explorer....14270 or 1016.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I really like the 1016 having a 36mm case. I've a feeling the the bank account will be taking a hit soon!

Journeyman
    I think you are wrong in saying the market for the features you want is small. With the exception of manual wind I think my list would be practically identical. I particularly agree 38 mm is ideal. I currently vary between a fairly old vintage omega seamaster and a Hamilton khaki field so many of the suggestions are spot on

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've actually got an explorer 14270 also. There's something about that dial that is special but I think got lost in the bigger version. Basically I've got amazing taste! ;-). I think a reissue of the Rolex 1016 with a discreet date function would tick all of my wants in a watch!

I like that retro Oris but wonder if the numerals are just a tad cartoonish to live with a long time?

It seems inevitable that I will pick up the Hamilton mechanical at some point, just because I admire the value on offer and it seems pretty unique. It looks American also. Can you switch sapphire crystals for acrylic?