closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review: Breitling Colt Skyracer VS Victorinox Inox Carbon

Blog Entries

Review: Breitling Colt Skyracer VS Victorinox Inox Carbon

Composite, space material for some and plastic crap to others. Quartz, soulless and boring to some, ideal to others. Today I compare two models with these attributes, one of them is extremely durable and the other is a sleeper with tactical styling.

Background
    There is a competition between materials going on in the watch Industry. There are different materials for balance wheels, balance springs and cases.

Composite materials have been used for a long time within aviation and the boat Industry but it is just recently that composite watches have become available to the masses with a sensible price tag. Sure, Hublot and Audemars Piguet have made composite watches for a long time but the price tags have been very high. Microbrands have also made composite watches for a long time but they have all (to my knowledge) been pressed carbon fiber.

Breitling Colt Skyracer

Diameter: 45 mm excluding crown
    Lug to lug: 55,1 mm
    Thickness: 13,1 mm
    Band width: 21 mm
    Movement: Breitling 74
    Water resistance: 100 meter
    Crown: Screw Down
    Weight: 32 grams without strap
    Crystal: Sapphire

Victorinox Inox Carbon

Diameter: 43 mm excluding crown
    Lug 2 lug: 52,7 mm
    Thickness: 13,7 mm
    Band width: 21 mm
    Movement: Ronda 715
    Water resistance: 200 meters
    Crown: Screw down
    Weight: 70 grams without strap
    Crystal: Sapphire

Introduction Breitling Colt Skyracer

Breitling has always made flight inspired watches as their main theme, "instruments for professionals", and the Colt production line is no different. The Colt models have always been considered a good starting point when collecting Breitlings and they are famous for mostly being quartz watches.

The Colt Skyracer was introduced 2017 and is currently Breitlings cheapest watch model in the men's category. The Colt series is aimed at the young customer who appreciates aggressive styling. Before Breitling made the price official they stated that the price would be "very competitive". A few of us doubted this since the Avenger Hurricane made of the same material and isn't exactly cheap, but they sure didn't disappoint.

The Skyracer has a model specific rubber strap with a special attachment which enables easy installation, this means you can use the strap as a ruler.

Movement - Breitling Colt Skyracer
    The movement Breitling 74 is a modified ETA Thermoline 955.652 and is COSC-certified. COSC-certification for quartz watches means +-0,07 seconds/day which is usually round off to +-25 seconds/year. Breitling calls all their quartz watches "Superquartz" and certifies them to +-15 seconds/year.

Introduction Victorinox Inox Carbon

Inox was launched 2014 to celebrate the 130 year anniversary of Victorinox. The Inox models are therefore tested in 130 different tests, including being dropped from 10 meters and being overrun by a tank. The Inox models can withstand such punishment thanks to a special mounting of the crystal and thanks to the dial being made in one piece. Inox has quickly become Victorinox most famous production line and they are now considered a natural alternative to G-Shocks.

Movement - Victorinox Inox Carbon
    The Inox models use Ronda 715 which is a basic movement specified to +20/-10 seconds/month. It has a long battery life but except for that, it's pretty basic.

Materials

Are these models made in the same materials?

"Breitlight" - Breitling Colt Skyracer

Breitlings composite material is called Breitlight, a very smart name which tells us that it's both lightweight and made by Breitling. It is 3,3 times lighter than titanium and 5,8 times lighter than steel. It is also scratch resistant, anti-magnetic and anti-allergic. The material was first introduced with the Avenger Hurricane (50mm) 2016 and is now, since 2017, also available with the Avenger Hurricane 45 (45mm) and the Colt Skyracer.

Breitlight feels warm on the wrist and extremely lightweight. The weight is just 32 grams without strap and just over 50 grams on the original rubber strap which makes the Skyracer extremely comfortable to wear. The finish is as always with Breitling very good, the chamfers of the case are distinct and the surface has been polished to a semi gloss finish. The bezel clicks perfectly and there is no annoying lateral play.

All the parts except the crown (which is molded rubber) are made of Breitlight and the bezel and caseback are secured with black screws.

The material has fibers placed seemingly random and the case looks a little shimmering when in direct sunlight. In the shadow, the watch looks matte black.

The Skyracer is at the moment only available with one model specific strap which is a rubber strap made of natural rubber with inches and centimeters + map scales. The easy installment system makes the strap very easy to take off and put back on without any tools. To mount a nato strap or Zulu strap is no problem.

Material Inox Carbon

The composite materials used for the Inox Carbon is according to Victorinox made of the same material as the heat shields used for space shuttles. I have no idea of what that means but it is supposedly resistant to most things, such as magnetic fields, corrosion and scratches.

The finish of the Inox Carbon is much brighter than Breitlight and has a clearly coarser surface. The fibers are also more apparent which makes it even shinier than Breitlight in direct sunlight.

The case edges are a little rounder on the Inox and the back of the case has an edge which is most likely a left over from the molding process.

The crown and caseback are not made of composite which increases the overall weight of the watch to more than double of the Skyracer. The reason is most likely to increase durability and to ensure the watch can cope with all the tests the Inox models are being subjected to.

Inox Carbon has an appearance which differs from the regular Inox models. The dial has applied 3, 6 and 9 markers instead of only stick markers and the numbers 13-24 are printed in red underneath the crystal. I like this more tactical appearance and the red print is only annoying in some pictures, on the wrist it looks nice.

All Inox models come with a "bumper", a silicone exterior case protection, which can easily be installed over the case of the watch.

There is also a paracord strap from Naimakka available which can be bought as a spare part or from start as an alternative to the regular rubber. The kit comes with a very nice little Victorinox folding knife which has a handy strap change tool.

In short

If you are looking for a beater which can take all the punishment you can subject it to, then the Inox Carbon is a great watch. The price is only half that of the Breitling Skyracer and the 200m water resistance will satisfy most nervous wearers. If you are the cargo pants wearing hunter/military type of guy, then you will probably also appreciate the bumper and the paracord strap. Being able to switch straps easily is nice for versatility.

The Colt Skyracer on the other hand has a high accuracy thermocompensated quartz movement and great overall finish. The price is higher but so are the specs. I consider the Skyracer a bargain, and the perfect ticket to Breitlings world, or even "Swiss made" in general.

The only downside is the strap system but you can still wear it on a nato or Zulu if you would like to. I would also be surprised if Breitling doesn't release more strap alternatives in the future.

Final verdict
    Both models are great! I'll wear both models this spring/summer and I'm sure I'll be happy with both of them. The comparison is a little unfair because of the price difference but I'll still choose a winner.

There can be only one! Finish him!

I consider the Breitling Colt Skyracer the bargain of a century from Breitling and the best release by any brand at Baselworld 2017. Yes, I like it that much! I like innovations and I like HAQ, I also like the fact that the Breitling is silly-lightweight and still keeps the feel of a good quality watch.

The model specific strap system doesn't really bother me, Breitling makes great straps and the only alternative I need is a nato strap. The only thing missing with the Skyracer is a yellow dial version but I'm sure Breitling will release that pretty soon, why wouldn't they?

So put on a pair of camo cargo shorts, strap on a PVD nato and get ready for the summer!

Any idea when they are in the stores ? (the skyracer that is)

Cheers

Matt

Blog Entries
    Superb use of graphics in your review. That has to be a first here on TZ. I too think the Breitling wins on points, but I am not sure the rubber bezel makes it look just too cheap - if you know what I mean. But the HEQ movement sells it for me. I need to see it in person.

Martyn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post

Any idea when they are in the stores ? (the skyracer that is)

Cheers

Matt
    Inox: Out now
    Skyracer: May

Thanks

I like the sky racer. Looking forward to seeing one

Master
    really detailed review with photos. Thank you for that! for me the breitling wins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review Yonsson - have been enjoying your pics on Insta of it! I still don't really get what Breitlight is. Am starting to think it's simply a fancy name for plastic with some fibre texture. In not understanding the material I kind of am suspicious we're getting a wee bit conned here!

But overall design wise, definitely prefer it over the Victorinox!

Thank you for the review - any thoughts on the lume on the Breitling - is it just bright white paint or actually lume - not clear from what I have read so far on this.

Master
    Nice fun review, I like the look of the Skyracer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Thank you for the review - any thoughts on the lume on the Breitling - is it just bright white paint or actually lume - not clear from what I have read so far on this.

Cheers - great lume shot. The more details that come out about the Breitling the more I like it.
    I could see this replacing my quartz victorinox officer.

Great review.

Had a SS INOX for a while. Liked everything about it other than I couldn't get over the outer chapter ring having second sub divisions on a quartz that ticked per second. Im sure it's not the only watch that is like this but it really irritated me.

Kev

Great review, thanks!

Excellent review. Definitely prefer the Breitling of the two and when it first came out I thought I would be interested because of the HEQ movement, design and innovative material. However it's just too large for me and I find the fake shadows under the numbers a bit much, if they wanted depth, they should be applied, can't be that much more expensive to do that when you see it on 300 pound Seikos and Steinharts.

Fantastic post - thank you

Have just pre-ordered the Skyracer from Sheffield Goldmsiths - they state a few month wait?

Mozza

Superb review - thank you for taking the trouble to write it and take the excellent photos.

I saw the Victorinox it seems to be in a fair few magazines but hadn't seen the Breitling before.

Thanks for the review.
    Victorinox doesn't do much for me but the Breitling is nice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the positive comments guys, appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Fantastic post - thank you

Have just pre-ordered the Skyracer from Sheffield Goldmsiths - they state a few month wait?
    May is what I've heard, so seems right. :)

Craftsman
    Fantastic review, and on my own doorstep being on TZ.

Do you know if there are any fabric straps (like the Blackbird) that would fit this Skyracer at all please ? I'm really not a fan of rubber but could live with a Nato / Zulu with matt black buckles.

Will need to try to see one of thee in the flesh, I only hope they re not too light. I've been after a Breitling for a while now but none of them really take my fancy...apart from the Navitimer but that's super expensive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Fantastic review, and on my own doorstep being on TZ.

Do you know if there are any fabric straps (like the Blackbird) that would fit this Skyracer at all please ? I'm really not a fan of rubber but could live with a Nato / Zulu with matt black buckles.

Will need to try to see one of thee in the flesh, I only hope they re not too light. I've been after a Breitling for a while now but none of them really take my fancy...apart from the Navitimer but that's super expensive.
    Only one original strap available at this time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kdes24uk View Post
    Great review.

Had a SS INOX for a while. Liked everything about it other than I couldn't get over the outer chapter ring having second sub divisions on a quartz that ticked per second. Im sure it's not the only watch that is like this but it really irritated me.

Kev
    How was the finish on your SS INOX? Just received one from Jura today and I'm not impressed. Quite a few small dings on the case, some rough edges and scratches on the caseback, which makes me think that I've been sent either a returned watch or an ex-display one. Definitely not happy, especially considering that my other two (Carbon and Titanium) have been more or less spotless

Journeyman
    wow thanks for the detailed write up!!

Journeyman
    Great review, thank you, enjoyed reading that. Very informative and fab pictures so thank you for the time it must have taken to put it together.

I am by chance wearing my Colt Auto this morning (2002, A17350) and it's interesting to see how much the Colt family has grown (mine is 38mm). Breitling HAQ models are great (I also had a B1) with the only detraction for me being the silly money Breitling want for a battery change (about £130 IIRC).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great review, many thanks, FWIW I don't like either of them, but hey that's life.

The Breitling wins it at a canter

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    How was the finish on your SS INOX? Just received one from Jura today and I'm not impressed. Quite a few small dings on the case, some rough edges and scratches on the caseback, which makes me think that I've been sent either a returned watch or an ex-display one. Definitely not happy, especially considering that my other two (Carbon and Titanium) have been more or less spotless
    That's Jura for you, always trying to flog second hand stuff at full rate. Has similar when I bought my Nomos Club from them

Great review well executed OP. thanks for taking the time.
    I would be interested to hear how both models hold up over time.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Always love a Breitling

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Excellent review. Definitely prefer the Breitling of the two and when it first came out I thought I would be interested because of the HEQ movement, design and innovative material. However it's just too large for me and I find the fake shadows under the numbers a bit much, if they wanted depth, they should be applied, can't be that much more expensive to do that when you see it on 300 pound Seikos and Steinharts.
    Tend to agree.
    Excellent review with imaginative graphics and photos.
    The Breitling HEQ are good:I've had the Colt in the past but either my wrist is shrinking in size or watches just keep getting bigger as it's too big for me.
    Looking at other threads I also would feel concern with Breitling service costs (although should be less for quartz) etc.

Tried the Skyracer on today in WOS, T3. Didn't like it at first, felt cheap but spent some time with it and it's a grower :) I asked the sales chap what the lug width was and he proceeded to remove the strap to measure it. Apparently it was part of his sales pitch!! Why he didn't look on his iPad and find out, I don't know?

Anyway, for those interested a version in blue is imminent (dial only I presume) and other colours to follow. Airport price is £1508.

Journeyman
    Good review. I do like the Breitling, looks like an easy everyday wearer text you wouldn't have to be too precious over. A quick search for UK showed it about £1,800 at a jewelers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I tried on the skyracer yesterday when I was working in Truro in Cornwall, they have/had one in the window of Michael Spiers.

Fantastic material, very light. I really like the Skyracer and it felt great on the wrist. A great watch, I did not buy it as I have other goals at present.

The Lady that showed me the watch was fantastic, enthusiastic about watches and a real pleasure to deal with, as have all the staff when I have viewed and made purchases in the past in their stores.

Bah - i put my name down with the boutique in bluewater to get a call once they were in..
    Clearly thats never happened as they seem to be in plenty of other shops !

This is really growing on me. Might have to visit my AD, the 45mm is the only thing that's keeping me on the fence.

I've had one and took it back to Meadowhall.
    Although very light, I found it had a cheap feel. One of my friends who's into horology describes it as 'out of a lucky bag'.
    The Breitling logo is printed on the face, and the second hand didn't even land on the minute markers. (My 17 yr old Omega SMP still hits the mark)

I rang Breitling and they said it's well within their tolerances and that it's the lightest watch with the chronometer cert around.

Was disappointed for £1810 - but that's just me.

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Bah - i put my name down with the boutique in bluewater to get a call once they were in..
    Clearly thats never happened as they seem to be in plenty of other shops !
    They had one today!

Skyracer

Fantastic Review, well done.

I just bought the Skyracer today and am Loving its understated / utility look.
    So light on the wrist you hardly feel it.
    Last edited by yogi bear; 28th June 2017 at 20:43.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    They had one today!

They've had one since end of may. Tried it on. Hate the lug/ bar design, it is incredibly stupid.