Composite, space material for some and plastic crap to others. Quartz, soulless and boring to some, ideal to others. Today I compare two models with these attributes, one of them is extremely durable and the other is a sleeper with tactical styling.

Background
There is a competition between materials going on in the watch Industry. There are different materials for balance wheels, balance springs and cases.

Composite materials have been used for a long time within aviation and the boat Industry but it is just recently that composite watches have become available to the masses with a sensible price tag. Sure, Hublot and Audemars Piguet have made composite watches for a long time but the price tags have been very high. Microbrands have also made composite watches for a long time but they have all (to my knowledge) been pressed carbon fiber.

Breitling Colt Skyracer

Diameter: 45 mm excluding crown
Lug to lug: 55,1 mm
Thickness: 13,1 mm
Band width: 21 mm
Movement: Breitling 74
Water resistance: 100 meter
Crown: Screw Down
Weight: 32 grams without strap
Crystal: Sapphire

Victorinox Inox Carbon

Diameter: 43 mm excluding crown
Lug 2 lug: 52,7 mm
Thickness: 13,7 mm
Band width: 21 mm
Movement: Ronda 715
Water resistance: 200 meters
Crown: Screw down
Weight: 70 grams without strap
Crystal: Sapphire

Introduction Breitling Colt Skyracer

Breitling has always made flight inspired watches as their main theme, "instruments for professionals", and the Colt production line is no different. The Colt models have always been considered a good starting point when collecting Breitlings and they are famous for mostly being quartz watches.

The Colt Skyracer was introduced 2017 and is currently Breitlings cheapest watch model in the men's category. The Colt series is aimed at the young customer who appreciates aggressive styling. Before Breitling made the price official they stated that the price would be "very competitive". A few of us doubted this since the Avenger Hurricane made of the same material and isn't exactly cheap, but they sure didn't disappoint.

The Skyracer has a model specific rubber strap with a special attachment which enables easy installation, this means you can use the strap as a ruler.

Movement - Breitling Colt Skyracer
The movement Breitling 74 is a modified ETA Thermoline 955.652 and is COSC-certified. COSC-certification for quartz watches means +-0,07 seconds/day which is usually round off to +-25 seconds/year. Breitling calls all their quartz watches "Superquartz" and certifies them to +-15 seconds/year.

Introduction Victorinox Inox Carbon

Inox was launched 2014 to celebrate the 130 year anniversary of Victorinox. The Inox models are therefore tested in 130 different tests, including being dropped from 10 meters and being overrun by a tank. The Inox models can withstand such punishment thanks to a special mounting of the crystal and thanks to the dial being made in one piece. Inox has quickly become Victorinox most famous production line and they are now considered a natural alternative to G-Shocks.

Movement - Victorinox Inox Carbon
The Inox models use Ronda 715 which is a basic movement specified to +20/-10 seconds/month. It has a long battery life but except for that, it's pretty basic.

Materials

Are these models made in the same materials?

"Breitlight" - Breitling Colt Skyracer

Breitlings composite material is called Breitlight, a very smart name which tells us that it's both lightweight and made by Breitling. It is 3,3 times lighter than titanium and 5,8 times lighter than steel. It is also scratch resistant, anti-magnetic and anti-allergic. The material was first introduced with the Avenger Hurricane (50mm) 2016 and is now, since 2017, also available with the Avenger Hurricane 45 (45mm) and the Colt Skyracer.

Breitlight feels warm on the wrist and extremely lightweight. The weight is just 32 grams without strap and just over 50 grams on the original rubber strap which makes the Skyracer extremely comfortable to wear. The finish is as always with Breitling very good, the chamfers of the case are distinct and the surface has been polished to a semi gloss finish. The bezel clicks perfectly and there is no annoying lateral play.

All the parts except the crown (which is molded rubber) are made of Breitlight and the bezel and caseback are secured with black screws.

The material has fibers placed seemingly random and the case looks a little shimmering when in direct sunlight. In the shadow, the watch looks matte black.

The Skyracer is at the moment only available with one model specific strap which is a rubber strap made of natural rubber with inches and centimeters + map scales. The easy installment system makes the strap very easy to take off and put back on without any tools. To mount a nato strap or Zulu strap is no problem.

Material Inox Carbon

The composite materials used for the Inox Carbon is according to Victorinox made of the same material as the heat shields used for space shuttles. I have no idea of what that means but it is supposedly resistant to most things, such as magnetic fields, corrosion and scratches.

The finish of the Inox Carbon is much brighter than Breitlight and has a clearly coarser surface. The fibers are also more apparent which makes it even shinier than Breitlight in direct sunlight.

The case edges are a little rounder on the Inox and the back of the case has an edge which is most likely a left over from the molding process.

The crown and caseback are not made of composite which increases the overall weight of the watch to more than double of the Skyracer. The reason is most likely to increase durability and to ensure the watch can cope with all the tests the Inox models are being subjected to.

Inox Carbon has an appearance which differs from the regular Inox models. The dial has applied 3, 6 and 9 markers instead of only stick markers and the numbers 13-24 are printed in red underneath the crystal. I like this more tactical appearance and the red print is only annoying in some pictures, on the wrist it looks nice.

All Inox models come with a "bumper", a silicone exterior case protection, which can easily be installed over the case of the watch.

There is also a paracord strap from Naimakka available which can be bought as a spare part or from start as an alternative to the regular rubber. The kit comes with a very nice little Victorinox folding knife which has a handy strap change tool.

In short

If you are looking for a beater which can take all the punishment you can subject it to, then the Inox Carbon is a great watch. The price is only half that of the Breitling Skyracer and the 200m water resistance will satisfy most nervous wearers. If you are the cargo pants wearing hunter/military type of guy, then you will probably also appreciate the bumper and the paracord strap. Being able to switch straps easily is nice for versatility.

The Colt Skyracer on the other hand has a high accuracy thermocompensated quartz movement and great overall finish. The price is higher but so are the specs. I consider the Skyracer a bargain, and the perfect ticket to Breitlings world, or even "Swiss made" in general.

The only downside is the strap system but you can still wear it on a nato or Zulu if you would like to. I would also be surprised if Breitling doesn't release more strap alternatives in the future.

Final verdict
Both models are great! I'll wear both models this spring/summer and I'm sure I'll be happy with both of them. The comparison is a little unfair because of the price difference but I'll still choose a winner.

There can be only one! Finish him!

I consider the Breitling Colt Skyracer the bargain of a century from Breitling and the best release by any brand at Baselworld 2017. Yes, I like it that much! I like innovations and I like HAQ, I also like the fact that the Breitling is silly-lightweight and still keeps the feel of a good quality watch.

The model specific strap system doesn't really bother me, Breitling makes great straps and the only alternative I need is a nato strap. The only thing missing with the Skyracer is a yellow dial version but I'm sure Breitling will release that pretty soon, why wouldn't they?

So put on a pair of camo cargo shorts, strap on a PVD nato and get ready for the summer!