closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Father's 50th birthday present

Journeyman

Father's 50th birthday present

Hi everyone,

Looking to get my dad his first proper watch for the rather big milestone. My budget is probably £1500 but this is flexible up to £2000. He has never had a nice watch and doesn't know much about different brands so I'm leaning to the more popular brands that he might recognise!

Does anyone have a suggestion of what might be a good choice?

Thanks!

Master

Rolex or Omega

My old mans first proper watch was a vintage 1947 Omega which came with full box and paperwork that was actually way below £1500? I believe it was £280?(few years ago now!)
    His next proper watch was a 2000 Rolex Airking with everything for £1800 I believe?? The Rolex is an abvious one as it always goes the furthest with non watch collectors!!??

I personally would go for a Rolex Oyster Perp of some sort or an Omega Aqua Terra ??

Depends if he likes dress or divers/sports watches ?

Chris

Master
    What sort of watch does he like - sports, dress, chronograph etc ?
    Does he have a preference for dial colour?
    Bracelet or strap?

Stretch to a new SMP, nothing better for around 2k in my opinion

I celebrated my 50th last year and bought myself several "birth year" watches. Your budget won't run to a 1967 sports Rolex but Rolex dress watches will be in budget. Plus a wide choice of Omegas.

Id say an S.M.P.

OR! a L.L.D. (plus another watch!).

OR......A speedy!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I picked my dad up a Quartz Aqua Terra. He's not a watch but loves it. It's pick up and go. He doesn't have to worry about setting the time. Looks great on steel or leather. Bought second hand for about £1k.

Master
    Also new (ish) or vintage - vintage Rolex possible in budget, but not new (ish)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I picked my dad up a Quartz Aqua Terra. He's not a watch but loves it. It's pick up and go. He doesn't have to worry about setting the time. Looks great on steel or leather. Bought second hand for about £1k.
    Some cheap thrills on a Sunday AM!

Master
    I think a Rolex Airking would be perfect?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I think a Rolex Airking would be perfect?
    34mm could be the only drawback.

Would a datejust sneak into budget?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Id say an S.M.P.

OR! a L.L.D. (plus another watch!).

OR......A speedy!
    What is an L.L.D?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    What sort of watch does he like - sports, dress, chronograph etc ?
    Does he have a preference for dial colour?
    Bracelet or strap?
    Probably a dress watch. He's a teacher so wouldn't want something too flash.

Speedmaster was one of the first to come to mind...but I've got one already!

Quote Originally Posted by steve7 View Post
    What is an L.L.D?

Longines legend diver

Master
    Omega AT quartz would do the trick. Got my son one for his 21st birthday and he never takes it off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Omega AT quartz would do the trick. Got my son one for his 21st birthday and he never takes it off.
    I'd second that - I'll be 50 next year maybe my kids will read this😏

Quote Originally Posted by abryant64 View Post
    Probably a dress watch. He's a teacher so wouldn't want something too flash.

Somehow I instantly thought of Nomos.

Speedie or SMPc- pre owned.

Journeyman
    If not a watch guy you need to go with a big name, at his age he will remember Longines as being expensive in the past. Omega would probably the best bet with something very presentable for £1500 -2000, especially if Quartz. Rolex for that money might be a bit old and a gamble.

Master
    Blog Entries

If he wants dress this is beautiful within budget

* pic from the net

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Bumping this up again - did you buy the newer version or the older one (which I think looks slightly nicer). Also new from Omega or elsewhere?

I've also seen these which I think could be nice:
    The Deville Prestige
    A 1967 (birth year) dress watch

Master
    Well it was nearly 5 years ago now, so I don't know if it's been updated since then.

Journeyman
    What are people's thoughts on this?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ome...ch-546186.html

What are people's thoughts on this?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ome...ch-546186.html
    The Quartz Aqua Terras are lovely and practical watches, can't really go wrong with them. Chron24 has https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/sea...-id5832299.htm one for £1395 a 2014 model with box and papers, I believe they are watches.co.uk who seem to have a decent reputation on these forums (from my limited time here albeit!)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    The Quartz Aqua Terras are lovely and practical watches, can't really go wrong with them. Chron24 has https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/sea...-id5832299.htm one for 1395 a 2014 model with box papers for 1395, I believe they are watches.co.uk who seem to have a decent reputation on these forums (from my limited time here albeit!)
    Yes I saw that, good price too! I'm just not sure about the newer version of the AT Quartz, they've changed the dial grooves and hour markers and it looks a touch cheaper on the whole imo. Will keep a look out for older versions!

Yes I saw that, good price too! I'm just not sure about the newer version of the AT Quartz, they've changed the dial grooves and hour markers and it looks a touch cheaper on the whole imo. Will keep a look out for older versions!
    I could see how it looks "cheaper" I think they wanted to look a little more sporty, the older ones are more dressy, I see it as more sporty myself anyway!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I could see how it looks "cheaper" I think they wanted to look a little more sporty, the older ones are more dressy, I see it as more sporty myself anyway!
    Yes that's true. Would also be nice to give him something brand new, whereas the older version would obviously need to be second hand. Can't help but really like the 2518.30 though:

Credit to avusblue over at watchuseek for the photo, his review of the watch has won me over too. Now just to find one!

Master
    Ever thought of asking 'him' what 'he' want's.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    Ever thought of asking 'him' what 'he' want's.
    I can see how this has made it look like I'm just picking something I would want, but no I haven't. Like I said he is not a watch person at all, this will be his first 'watch' so I'd want it to be a complete surprise. Makes it a bit trickier as I'm trying to guess what would be something he'd like, which is nailed down to relatively dressy, not flashy etc.

It might be worth me taking him into a shop, pretending I'm buying myself a new watch and asking for his input on what looks good etc.

B-Uhr while there's some left!

Craftsman

Edit: sorry, this is maybe a bit over budget new but s/h trade price might be possible to find.. £2k ish.

Last edited by tom waring; 8th May 2017 at 12:24.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post

Edit: sorry, this is maybe a bit over budget new but s/h trade price might be possible to find.. £2k ish.

That is a great looking watch, probably stretching the budget but if I see a good deal on one coming up I might go for it!

Master
    I can see how this has made it look like I'm just picking something I would want, but no I haven't. Like I said he is not a watch person at all, this will be his first 'watch' so I'd want it to be a complete surprise. Makes it a bit trickier as I'm trying to guess what would be something he'd like, which is nailed down to relatively dressy, not flashy etc.

It might be worth me taking him into a shop, pretending I'm buying myself a new watch and asking for his input on what looks good etc.
    Nah...I don't go for that.

I'm sure the you would prefer to be asked what 'you' wanted and not have something thrust upon you, no matter how nice it is.

Never know, it might just lead him into being a WIS.

Journeyman

I'm sure the you would prefer to be asked what 'you' wanted and not have something thrust upon you, no matter how nice it is.

Maybe, but going off what I know my Dad's like, he would value it more as a surprise gift.

Are you aware that you come across as quite rude in your messages? Not sure whether the whole 'him', 'he', 'you' is necessary or just condescending. I also don't really see being bought a fairly expensive watch as having it 'thrust' upon you, as if it's an inconvenience.

Craftsman

Father's 50th birthday present

OP: another great value and very high quality for the price is the Tudor Style. (Noting your budget and also preference for new for your Dad). Sizes 41mm and 38mm models, choice of steel or leather strap. Versatile classic looks. At £1,600 RRP and available for less its maybe worth a look?

Master

Obviously, I do not know your dad and I am sure that he would appreciate any such gift. I do though think that Dave makes a valid point as watches are quite personal and individualistic. There are, of course, many styles etc to consider within your budget as well as brands etc..

Anyway, if my boy wanted to buy me a watch I would regard it as an opportunity to do something together in selecting it.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Nomos immediately sprung to mind when you said dress watch - as did Tudor, but then I re-read your post and saw that you were looking for a recognised brand. The Omega you have selected looks lovely, but as somebody who has increasing issues seeing things close up, I personally find stainless hands against a similar background difficult to read. If your dad wears reading glasses, perhaps something to bear in mind?

Personally if my son surprised me with a nice watch, I would be delighted to wear it and be proud of him being so considerate / thoughtful. I understand the view that the shopping together experience would be nice, but for non WIS, it might not be as enjoyable...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Nomos immediately sprung to mind when you said dress watch - as did Tudor, but then I re-read your post and saw that you were looking for a recognised brand. The Omega you have selected looks lovely, but as somebody who has increasing issues seeing things close up, I personally find stainless hands against a similar background difficult to read. If your dad wears reading glasses, perhaps something to bear in mind?

Personally if my son surprised me with a nice watch, I would be delighted to wear it and be proud of him being so considerate / thoughtful. I understand the view that the shopping together experience would be nice, but for non WIS, it might not be as enjoyable...
    Ah yes agreed on the silver on silver, although avusblue at WUS said in his review of the watch the following so it might be okay:
    I actually think that this silver-on-silver configuration, when differing reflectivity levels are involved, works out to be more legible than shiny hands against a glossy black dial (even though that looks good, style-wise). The gloss-on-gloss of different colors can blend together more than the gloss-on-matte of the same color. And that arrowhead triangle at the end of the minute hand really helps the legibility, especially compared to a silver dialed “stick” handed Rolex. The lume-filled arrowhead just punctuates, with precision, what time it is at a quick glance. Planet Ocean hands have the same benefit. Omega must have used some sort of physiological / psychological experts when designing the shape of these hands, because it pleasantly surprises me how very readable this watch is. Something I expected might not be so great, actually works extremely well in practice