closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Claiming VAT back on a Purchase

Apprentice

Claiming VAT back on a Purchase

My friend wants to buy his dad a Rolex to celebrate his retirement. He lives outside of Ireland so he can claim the VAT back on his purchase, just wondering if anyone has been through the process and what was their experience?

As he would be gifting the watch he wouldn't have the watch in his possession when he leaves the country, would this be an issue?
    Would claiming the VAT back weaken his position for neogatiating a price, in theory it should have no real impact as the AD isn't losing out

You can only claim back VAT, if the purchaser is non-EU, and they and the item are leaving the EU for a minimum 12 months.

Generally...

You will be asked to present any items at the airport/port of departure, where they will officially stamp your forms and then it can be returned to the store who will process the repayment.

Everything works on a variation of the above. Some stores don't do VAT reclaims, and some charge many hundreds as an admin fee.

So, no he can't get VAT back if the intention is to gift the item to an EU resident.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    Thanks for the below. He's living in Dubai and reckons the Prices are higher even without the reclaim

As above, EU citizens pay VAT. The only way to avoid that is to purchase in duty free zone as he flies abroad (= outside the EU)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

You have to be wearing any watch or jewelry and have proof you reside outside the U.K. to get the customs officer to stamp the form that you then get processed for refund - this is all done airside so you can't pack the item in checked baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    You have to be wearing any watch or jewelry...
    Really? I've had purchases like that with me at EU/Non-EU borders but not needed to be wearing them to get the customs stamp for the VAT refund. Could have been interesting when returning with jewellery for my wife on a solo trip.

Perhaps not actually wearing the earrings but available to show - at least at U.K. airports

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Perhaps not actually wearing the earrings but available to show - at least at U.K. airports
    That's a relief

Journeyman
    I've always taken the items I want the VAT back on with me in hand luggage. Sometimes they ask to see the item, I think it depends on how long the queue is. If you can buy from a shop that is registered and has the forms that makes life easier. Some places when you by with a foreign card will automatically print out a 3ft long VAT back form. Another think to check is the airport your flying out of and when the tax office is open. Some have a post box drop for out of hours but I'm not convinced by those.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app