closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First mod

Journeyman

First mod

Morning all, I'm slowly building up tools and confidence to attempt some watch modifications. Ultimately I want to be able to create a customised Sieko dive watch. Research is suggesting the skx 007 is the watch to be working on.

My questions are: would the skx007 be a reasonable choice?

And

Am I likely to break it whilst I'm learning in which case is there a better place to start?

Cheers
    Bombus

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It's certainly one of (if not) the easiest watches to get aftermarket parts for.

To be honest it wouldn't be a bad starter. If you go and destroy anything the parts are all fairly cheap, even the complete movement is peanuts.

Are we just talking case mods here?

It seems like a reasonable enough place to start and second hand ones are fairly cheap and plentiful

Vostok Amphibias are also worthy of consideration - lots of aftermarket bits available and everything is relatively inexpensive. Plenty on eBay.

I'm in the process of fitting one with a Seiko bezel insert at the moment. The bezel and insert cost as much as the watch - which was brand new!

Journeyman
    Thanks for the responses - at the moment the vision is purely aesthetic. The plan is to create something that compliments a Caterham in detonator yellow.

The Amphibias look interesting and not something I had come across. More research to be done.

Cheers
    Bombus

Messing around with Vostok Amphibias can be a lot of fun, lots of information and great examples in this thread:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Amphibia-mods

And here's one I made earlier...
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Curta-Amphibia

Journeyman
    Great links thanks - and interesting to read about the Curta. I'm going to start with a Vostok and move onto the Sieko due to the costs while I'm working out if my hands are steady enough and my patience long enough!

I'll share the results assuming I have some success, otherwise I'm sure I'll be back looking for some guidance...

Let us know how you got on