closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Questions for Speedy fans

Master

Questions for Speedy fans

Yesterday my new Speedy moon watch arrived. I was super excited unboxing it, it comes in a case the size of a briefcase with spare straps, a loupe, and other goodies. The bracelet had already been sized and was a good fit, and looks great on the wrist.

Then I set to winding and setting the time, and realised it's a non hacking second hand. The manual says to "put gentle pressure in a reverse direction" to stop the hand, but I couldn't get that to work at all. I set the time as best I could but my OCD was already kicking in.

Next I pressed the chrono pusher, then stopped it and pressed the fly back. But what's this- it doesn't fly back exactly to 12! My 30 year old Heuer 510.511 flys back to exactly 12, but the Speedy second hand is about the hands width or so to the right!

So what to do? Is this normal, or is there something wrong? Is there a way of stopping the second hand? Does the general loveliness of the watch outweigh these "quirks".

I took lots of pics yesterday planning to post on the incoming thread but now I don't even know if I should keep it.

Advice on the fly back and time setting welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    The chrono hand should reset to 12 and this should be fixed under warranty.

The Speedmaster is not a hacking movement - it's not a "quirk", it simply does not have that functionality. You should be able to get the second hand to pause by keeping backward pressure on the hands when setting, but honestly it's not worth the trouble - it's not chronometer rated either, it'll be out by a few seconds daily anyway.

Get the chrono hand fixed and enjoy wearing it.

Assuming you have the professional version, it does not hack, that's normal.
    But the seconds chrono hand should align perfectly with the 12 marker

Master
    Mine will "hack" without a problem by a little reverse pressure on the crown.

Would not be happy with a misaligned second hand though. Mine lines up perfectly

Master
    Yes, it's the pro and I know (now) the non-hacking is a feature not a fault, but I can't get the secondhand to stop. Is there a knack?

Since its brand new and stickered, I can return it (it's from Iconic). Is it best to return for an exchange or get the secondhand fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Yes, it's the pro and I know (now) the non-hacking is a feature not a fault, but I can't get the secondhand to stop. Is there a knack?
    Yes. With the crown in the setting position, very slowly turn the hands backwards. As you start to twist the crown, but before the hands start to move backwards, the second hand should stop. It should stay stopped as long as you keep that very slight torque on the crown. It's easier to do than to describe. It's also easier if the watch is in a low state of wind.

Craftsman

Questions for Speedy fans

I share the hacking OCD too.... I can stop the second hand as you mention but I am not a fan of doing it - it just doesn't feel right! The crown needs to be in the time setting position. Try just a slight bit of back wind, just a degree or two.
    I simply set the minute hand so that it hits the minute marker as the second hand passes 60. This doesn't allow you to set the watch to an atomic clock but does allow the hands to align as they should.
    My chrono setting hand aligns perfectly. I would imagine resetting the second chrono hand should be a fairly simple fix by a competent watch maker.
    I always reset the hand within 10 seconds of 12 o'clock so as to reduce the fly back and the chance for the hand to slip. You could try resetting the hand from 25 seconds to see if that will nudge the hand to the left slightly?

I hope you get it sorted, it's a fantastic watch!
    Last edited by toptime; 13th April 2017 at 09:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    I share the hacking OCD too.... I can stop the second hand as you mention but I am not a fan of doing it - it just doesn't feel right!
    I simply set the minute hand so that it hits the minute marker as the second hand passes 60. This doesn't allow you to set the watch to an atomic clock but does allow the hands to align as they should.
    My chrono setting hand aligns perfectly. I would imagine resetting the second chrono hand should be a fairly simple fix by a competent watch maker.
    I always reset the hand within 10 seconds of 12 o'clock so as to reduce the fly back and the chance for the hand to slip.
    I hope you get it sorted, it's a fantastic watch!
    That's a great idea! I can't get the second hand to stop, but the watch is quite well wound. I'll try later when it's run down more, but using your trick at least the minute and second hand are in sync, so now I'm less upset.

I've been looking at the chrono second hand and wondering about parallax....

I'll post some pics later

I don't know what the turnaround time for it to be "fixed" would be it could be ages if it has to be sent off to Omega, If they have more stock I would swap it out for one that resets to 12 correctly. Wonder how it got past quality control? Reset position to 12 would be one of the things checked in factory if not by a human by an automated system. (Maybe it was out that day too xd)
    Lovely watch and well worth making sure you get one that's exactly right!
    Last edited by Frakius; 13th April 2017 at 09:39.

Master
    I would probably send it back for a replacement. Quicker and less chance for problems to be introduced whilst its open.

You may want to try this:

Let the chrono run for a bit and then do this.

1 - stop it a 25 seconds past the hours. Reset and observe if any misalignment (probably around top plus 1 or 2 seconds)

2 - run it again and then stop at the 35 second point (5 seconds after the bottom position). Reset and observe any misalignment (probably around top minus 1 or 2 seconds, or to the left of 12 o'clock)

I've had chronos which centre well on one side but not on the other, usually older watches though.

I've been looking at the chrono second hand and wondering about parallax....
    That can happen - closing one eye and getting up close to the crystal can determine whether it's off or not. They can be a little off sometimes. If it's on a brand new watch and it annoys you, act now, take it back and request a replacement. Any AD worth their salt would do this, and not muck you about with talk of a warranty repair, which would take from 4 - 6 weeks.

Good luck.

Mine didn't quite reset to 12 either, just resting to the right hand side of the marker.

[/URL]

Master
    I had a roadster chrono and after a few years the second hand would no longer align precisely to the 12. It bugged me no end, OCD kicking in, so I traded it against a polar EXP2.

Apprentice
    This works for many non-hacking movements too

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Swap it out with Iconic for new one. Simples!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Mine didn't quite reset to 12 either, just resting to the right hand side of the marker.

[/URL]
    That's pretty much where mine is

Master
    I've got the hang of stopping the second hand now, seems it just needed to run down a bit. I'll call Iconic on Tuesday and see where we get to in the alignment - I know if it's not right I just won't use it, and this is intended to be more or less my daily wear.
    I've seen on another forum (maybe WUS) someone had this issue and Omega said it was in tolerance.

I've got the hang of stopping the second hand now, seems it just needed to run down a bit. I'll call Iconic on Tuesday and see where we get to in the alignment - I know if it's not right I just won't use it, and this is intended to be more or less my daily wear.
    I've seen on another forum (maybe WUS) someone had this issue and Omega said it was in tolerance.

If it were me, I would return for a full refund. There are plenty of Speedmaster Pro's out there so not worth waiting for this one to be sent off to Omega for repair.

Master
    If you decide to keep it then Omega will sort the reset on the chrono second hand very quickly under warranty. Mine did the same thing when I bought it. Went in the post to Omega on the Tuesday and was back with me on the Friday.

Master
    I've had the watch in all weekend, still all tagged up while I decide. I've got the hang of the second hand stopping now, but the minute hand does seem to go out of sync with the second hand. I'll monitor it, just in case it was my error.
    Here's some pics of the chrono second hand. Am I being too fussy about this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I could personally live with it being like that but once you know it's there it's always in your head. Just depends how OCD you are. I would imagine omega would say it's within tolerance.

I think it's alright.

Looks fine to me. My Speedmaster's second hand permanently points to twenty three seconds as I don't like it obscuring the logo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    I could personally live with it being like that but once you know it's there it's always in your head. Just depends how OCD you are. I would imagine omega would say it's within tolerance.

I think you're right in that Omega would say it's in spec, but I've a 14 day return with Iconic. But you know what it's like, this one is in my hand now and I don't want to part with it. As others have said though, it's not rare and I'll get another easy enough.

That Chrono second hand is spot on, based on those images I am not even sure why you think it is an issue.

[QUOTE=berin;4319740]I've had the watch in all weekend, still all tagged up while I decide. I've got the hang of the second hand stopping now, but the minute hand does seem to go out of sync with the second hand. I'll monitor it, just in case it was my error.
    Here's some pics of the chrono second hand. Am I being too fussy about this?

I would not accept the hand slightly off centre like that, its only minor but it would bug me each time I looked at it.

I am very anal about things like that but even I would probably accept it

It isnt me though so go with your gut

In some of those shots it looks dead centre? Still not nearly as bad as I thought you meant it was! It's up to you really if you see it, you can't unsee it, so it may grate on you everytime you look at the dial!

I think the problem with the Chrono second hand is that because it is extremely thin at the tip and obviously raised above the Dial, look at it anything other than 100% dead straight on and you get the impression of it being off centre.

First picture is the watch dead on - straight as a die and all is good.

The second photo has the watch with a very slight tilt to avoid reflection and the result is bad enough to kick off the OCD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think the problem with the Chrono second hand is that because it is extremely thin at the tip and obviously raised above the Dial, look at it anything other than 100% dead straight on and you get the impression of it being off centre.

First picture is the watch dead on - straight as a die and all is good.

The second photo has the watch with a very slight tilt to avoid reflection and the result is bad enough to kick off the OCD.

Im coming to that conclusion, having spent an hour with a loupe and magnifying glass. Just closing an eye alters the perspective. I've determined the second hand does cover the slightly larger tick mark on the dial at 12, and also points to the 60 mark on the bezel. It may just be half a tick out, to the right. But really I can't tell. I'm going to put away all the lenses and lights, and then in an hour or so sneak up on it in a normal wearing position and see what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Looks fine to me. My Speedmaster's second hand permanently points to twenty three seconds as I don't like it obscuring the logo.
    That is an interesting point. I took this photo a while back to capture the full detail of the dial, but I didn't think about leaving it like that, I just clicked it back to 12.

Craftsman
    Mine is off slightly more than yours. It doesn't bother me at all.

Craftsman
    Looks totally fine to me.

had a few like that its fine

Master
    I've now looked at every single picture of a speedy pro on the internet, and I haven't found one where the chrono second hand definitely lines up. As Wallasey Runner said, the second hand is so thin a slight movement or change of angle makes it appear off centre.

I've now looked at every single picture of a speedy pro on the internet, and I haven't found one where the chrono second hand definitely lines up. As Wallasey Runner said, the second hand is so thin a slight movement or change of angle makes it appear off centre.
    These watches are massed produced and we are talking about incredibly small margins. I sold a diver watch and had to offer a discount because the buyer thought the triangle at the 12 o'clock position on the insert in the bezel wasn't 100% lined up. I had to take a few images through a micro lens to try and prove one way or the other as you couldn't be certain with the naked eye. I checked out another 7 or 8 Divers that I had through a loupe and I couldn't find one that you would declare as 100% spot on.

The problem is that WIS people are used to looking at images of watches close up and then blowing them up to the size of a wall clock and then moaning because they spot something. If you went into the AD and put it on your wrist and looked at with the naked eye you would not spot anything wrong.

Am I being too fussy about this?
    Yes

Master
    I think you've got a better than average example. This thread reminds me of Omega's SMP quartz second hand, which seldom seems to line up with indices.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I would say from your photos that it's good enough to the point where if you got a replacement, it could actually be worse.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    I would say from your photos that it's good enough to the point where if you got a replacement, it could actually be worse.
    Very good point! From the approximately 8000,0000 pictures I've looked at, the odd one is better but most are worse! I would be double cross if I got this exchanged and got a more out-of-line one as a replacement. Short of going to an AD with lots of stock and going through them all, this may be as good as it gets.

Craftsman
    I am very particular about alignment and to be honest I think your watch looks fine. You can almost guarantee if you refund and buy another that you will find another issue.
    For what it's worth, I would remove the stickers, wind it up and enjoy!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    I am very particular about alignment and to be honest I think your watch looks fine. You can almost guarantee if you refund and buy another that you will find another issue.
    For what it's worth, I would remove the stickers, wind it up and enjoy!!
    I have now got over myself and removed the stickers, put on an nice Heuerboy racer strap and am enjoying the watch. Thanks for all the comments, post on incoming to follow.

Master
    I have now got over myself and removed the stickers, put on an nice Heuerboy racer strap and am enjoying the watch. Thanks for all the comments, post on incoming to follow.
    Good move, life's too short to be worrying about that. I can see what you mean from your pics, it's a gnat's cock out but that's all and can get sorted when you get it serviced in a few years. I've had 2 Speedies and both weren't perfect but it didn't bother me enough. Getting the sub secs and minute hands to sync is very much trial and error, as in most cases where you are trying to get the minute hand to hit the marker when 60 secs rolls by, just advance the minute hand forward of the minute mark a touch and see if it hits the marker at the next minute when the sub hand reaches the 60.

Craftsman
    Good man!! It's a great all round watch.
    Setting the hands becomes very quick and easy in no time. Enjoy

Craftsman
    Quick tip. To align hands, I do the following,
    Roughly set the time with min & hour hands (to about -10 mins)
    As the second hand passes 50 seconds, set the minute hand to the correct marker.
    Push the crown home as the sec hand hits 60secs.
    Hope that makes sense.....

Craftsman
    My MkII always back to 12 exactly, and the backwards turn on the crown used to stop the seconds hand. To be honest tho, without hacking, I never tried to set it exactly, just "close enough". It's the one thing that bothers me about the 861 movement and it's variants.