closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Nomos fans?

Craftsman

Any Nomos fans?

I picked up a Nomos Zurich Weltzeit from SC this am and I must admit I am astonished by the looks and build quality. Even my wife, who is largely disinterested in watches said 'oooh - nice, I hope you don't sell this one' when I came home with it on. Definite keeper for me.

Underrated brand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Underrated yes. Quality and current. i love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I really like mine. In fact it was one of my wedding watches.
    Just well designed and executed at a great price.

Apologies for the poor phone pic

I'm not sure whether they're underrated, as they're one of the few watch companies showing strong growth in a market that's slaughtering others. They're also one of the few with real integrity, so it's nice to see them get rewarded for it.

It's an industry that's mostly BS, and there aren't many true watchmakers out there — particularly in their price range — but Nomos is the real deal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    With a small wrist the long lugs and large dial/small bezel make me nervous about taking one myself but I bought the Tetra Goldelse for my wife's 40th and the build quality is fantastic. She loves it

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Underrated yes. Quality and current. i love mine

The lugs look unnaturally long with a yawning gap between the case and the strap!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like them, must try one at some point.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The lugs look unnaturally long with a yawning gap between the case and the strap!
    In fairness that's not a great shot. Head on its a different story.

The Club models are well known for their loooong lugs. Here's a head on pic of my old 37mm Club Dunkel. It did have long lugs and there was a goodly gap but it wasn't extreme and it never annoyed me. So much to like on the rest of the watch too.

Master
    The first watch I bought my partner was a 34mm Tangente 'grau'' ; that was years ago, when Nomis were very niche indeed. It has been fun to watch them grow and expand. They are over-priced in the U.K, quite a bit more reasonable in Europe. An excellent brand with plenty of expansion still to come.
    And the old Tangente is still a favourite.....

Craftsman
    Oh yes - wonderful watches and a thoroughly reputable bunch to deal with (warranty) - very reasonable servicing costs and some peerless / other-worldly design eg..

.. Criticisms - the long lugs on some mean they wear very large - for a 35mm watch the orion's long and had a tiny bezel ... And the Zurich (I think I recall right) is c50mm lug to lug ... European pricing much, much more reasonable than UK list..

.. But find one you like and they're keepers..

al

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I'm a fan. Great style, love the tangente. I think they would suit my wrist, but would never get any wear.

Apprentice

At the price point, the tangente was so tempting to have a full in house movement. But unfortunately, it was just that little bit too dressy for me. But we shall see , perhaps my thoughts will change in the future.

I'm interested to know if the new Club 38 Campus comes with the lug filling fitted strap like shown here:

Or a regular 'gap shpwing' strap as shown here:

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    I'm interested to know if the new Club 38 Campus comes with the lug filling fitted strap like shown here:

That's the regular Nomos strap. It's folded backwards in the first picture, so it only appears to be 'lug filling'.

I'm a Nomos fan. Had a Ludwig before and now the Club Campus. Hard to beat at this price point I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I picked up a Nomos Zurich Weltzeit from SC this am and I must admit I am astonished by the looks and build quality. Even my wife, who is largely disinterested in watches said 'oooh - nice, I hope you don't sell this one' when I came home with it on. Definite keeper for me.

Underrated brand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Elegantly stunning.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    That's the regular Nomos strap. It's folded backwards in the first picture, so it only appears to be 'lug filling'.

I'm a Nomos fan. Had a Ludwig before and now the Club Campus. Hard to beat at this price point I think.
    I really like the new Club, the reverse Cali dial works well I think, and I like that they now have lume. I do prefer a date even though it would break up the symmetry of the dial a little, but I find that complication so useful.

Thanks for confirming that. I'd love to see more photos of your gorgeous Campus if you have some?

Thanks for confirming that. I'd love to see more photos of your gorgeous Campus if you have some?
    I'm afraid I haven't had the time to do some proper pictures, so only this one for now:

I went for the 36mm by the way, which I think is the perfect size, but those with larger wrists may disagree.

I'm afraid I haven't had the time to do some proper pictures, so only this one for now:

I went for the 36mm by the way, which I think is the perfect size, but those with larger wrists may disagree.
    It's lovely, I want the 'Nacht' version which is 38mm, or I should say I want to try it on to see how the lugs fit me.

Love the club, but can't get on with the campus. The 4 and 7 romans make the dial look top imbalanced, the gap between the numerals and the sub dial would drive me nuts.

Master
    I have a Club 703, wearing it today and very happy with it. I don't mind the long lugs. As others have said, the build quality is fantastic and as I paid £900 new I'm delighted.

The OP's post made me smile, my wife says similar things.
    "Thank goodness I'm not one of your watches," is a phrase I hear often.

Master
    Been having troubles with Imgur so thought I'd try a new site. Here's my Nomos
    upload images freecertificity.com

Blog Entries

That is lovely... Jura £20 per month.... very very tempted!!!

Why is it so much cheaper than the the other Nomos Club watches though?

EDiT - just read the Hodinkee review and mentions that it uses the Alpha movement... still a very competent movement... I think these will sell very well

Time for a trip to Stewart's AD in Leicester!!!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 14th April 2017 at 18:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    That is lovely... Jura £20 per month.... very very tempted!!!

Why is it so much cheaper than the the other Nomos Club watches though?

EDiT - just read the Hodinkee review and mentions that it uses the Alpha movement... still a very competent movement... I think these will sell very well

Time for a trip to Stewart's AD in Leicester!!!
    I don't think it's that much cheaper over here, but Nomos specifically position it as a graduation or first job watch. They say it's more or less subsidised, in order to introduce the brand to a young new audience.

Not a brand that has been on my radar, but I think the Club 38 looks great.

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's that much cheaper over here, but Nomos specifically position it as a graduation or first job watch. They say it's more or less subsidised, in order to introduce the brand to a young new audience.
    It's £1000 v £1800…. A decent step

It's a smart move on their part.., I think it will sell very well

Lovley looking dial

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    It's £1000 v £1800…. A decent step

It's a smart move on their part.., I think it will sell very well

Lovley looking dial
    Thanks! 1800? Both are under a 1000 here...

Thanks! 1800? Both are under a 1000 here...
    The automatic (automat) is around £1800, could that be it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    The automatic (automat) is around £1800, could that be it?

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was comparing the two manual winding watches.

Craftsman
    Love them. Recently bought No 2 son a Tangomat. Beautifully built - an a great price via Chronext

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Some negativity to leaven all the love from previous posters. I bought a Nomos Orion Datum 18 months ago.

The fit and finish are very good and the design of the date complication is clever (they have it wrapped round the movement, not stapled on top which keeps the watch thin).

But I find the dial to be sterile and boring to look at. That isn't a criticism of dress watches in general; I have several that I adore and wear regularly. There's just something about the design of the Nomos watches that leaves me cold.

The watch also doesn't keep good time, and I'm reluctant to spend any money having it serviced and regulated.

Basically, it's a dud and my least loved watch.

Roguishly...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRogue View Post
    Some negativity to leaven all the love from previous posters. I bought a Nomos Orion Datum 18 months ago.

The fit and finish are very good and the design of the date complication is clever (they have it wrapped round the movement, not stapled on top which keeps the watch thin).

But I find the dial to be sterile and boring to look at. That isn't a criticism of dress watches in general; I have several that I adore and wear regularly. There's just something about the design of the Nomos watches that leaves me cold.

The watch also doesn't keep good time, and I'm reluctant to spend any money having it serviced and regulated.

Basically, it's a dud and my least loved watch.

Roguishly...
    I thought about buying my wife a club campus after seeing it in Basel.

She has a Tudor snowflake that is gaining 15 sec a day,that's now back with the dealer hopefully being sorted.
    Couldn't taken the moaning of another watch that doesn't keep time.

I started to hide the lug gap on my old club with crafty strap choices when I had it...

Someone mentioned the original Club didn't have lume but the Dunkel (=Dark) models like this one did have lume.

I found the hand-wound alpha movement in it to be very reliable and accurate. The Alpha was derived from the classic Pesseaux/ETA 7001 which was the first movement they used when the brand started. Not sure what they did to it for it to be declared in-house though! The beauty of this movement is that it is very thin which is one of the best features of this watch.

The new Campus models in 38mm would interest me as the 36mm was a bit too small for me and why it got sold. If only I could unsee the upside down Cali dial :-( I love Cali dials and can't understand why they didn't give us a nicely balanced full Cali dial. Drop that Sub seconds for a basic 2 handed, Cali PAM style and it would be elevated to greatness for me.

Craftsman
    Has anyone had success with a curved end strap suiting the Club? I really like the watch except for the lug length.

Massively underrated IMO. Very classy and great value.

Had to sell Tangomat (along with anything else of value) during a difficult financial period. Now on the lookout for another...

Oh dear, now I have something new to obsess about...
    Lovely watches guys.

One way of sorting out the long lugs and gap between the strap and case is have it on a pull through nylon... suits the watch so well and adds to the sporty look.

Craftsman
    Personally, I have no issues with the longer lugs, but I have big wrists.

If it is a concern, I think a leather nato does the job pretty well

Sent from my SM-N910F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Any Nomos fans?

Waiting in the airport with my Weltzeit - its natural habitat. Although traveling to Paris from Vienna, so no need to use its time changing function.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    The Club models are well known for their loooong lugs. Here's a head on pic of my old 37mm Club Dunkel. It did have long lugs and there was a goodly gap but it wasn't extreme and it never annoyed me. So much to like on the rest of the watch too.
    The long lugs are somewhat of a Nomos design signature, and I respect them for making something distinctive that might not please everyone.

It certainly beats the forgettable generic stuff that's typical of the price range, and I think that having a recognisable look and sticking with it will serve them well in the long run. It certainly works for Rolex, and though Nomos is obviously different, I find similarities in their values of individualism, independence and autonomy.

I like a lot of the Nomos designs but the one that really intrigues me is the Ahoi because they made a recreational beach/dive watch that was influenced by their signature in-house Bauhaus inspired look much more than being influenced by classic divers of yore.

I suppose you could be critical and say it lacks a fundamental feature of a dive watch as it is without a timing bezel or any other way of marking off time and it's not a lot more than a waterproof Nomos with crown guards, on a Perlon. And yet they did the exact opposite of a Sub-u-like. I respect that enormously. It looks to me like the perfect do-it-all holiday watch :-)

Apprentice

Any Nomos fans?

I fell in love with the Metro as soon as I saw it. I've had the gangreserve model for about the last three months or so and couldn't be happier.

I love the clean Bauhaus style, but particularly the asymmetry that the reserve indicator provides. Seeing the red bar slowly recede back behind the green dial when you wind it up never gets old either!

I've got quite small wrists, so the 38mm case size works well for me, and the wire lugs don't extend as far down as some of their other models. I've not tried on anything larger, but the shallow profile also works well.

I also love how adaptable they are, and that the majority of their models seem to dress up or down easily with a quick strap change.

Anyway, here's a quick snap from the other week.

Edit: just watched a video of the zeitwelt time zone change function. Love it!

Last edited by footandmaff; 15th April 2017 at 20:55.