closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about the Speedy Pro

Master
    I think chronext at Piccadilly London have some of the best prices on Speedies.
    They have an extensive website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I think chronext at Piccadilly London have some of the best prices on Speedies.
    They have an extensive website.
    Do they still do a forum discount ?

even better

https://www.montredo.com/en/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-professional-42-black-hesalite-crystal-31130423001005-4724.html?cur=1&zmbFilter=578f478f59ac426504ff179c 1dfe2311$$Speedmaster%20Professional||m$$0ecdd0c34 7cac4c20625276245175648

montredo

£2819.oo

100 english pounds less

however they will discount further if you ask
    i reckon you could get them down to £2700 at a push
    Last edited by wits; 11th April 2017 at 10:48. Reason: more info

Part of the appeal of the speedy to me is that it can be worn with so many different strap combinations. In my opinion its the only watch you ever really need, and I would never be without one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    https://www.montredo.com/en/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-professional-42-black-hesalite-crystal-31130423001005-4724.html?cur=1&zmbFilter=578f478f59ac426504ff179c 1dfe2311$$Speedmaster%20Professional||m$$0ecdd0c34 7cac4c20625276245175648

montredo

£2819.oo

100 english pounds less
    and 129 English pounds more than Chronext. Maybe more if they still do a discount but I did hear that the last person to ask was told that there are none at present so the price is the price (and still cheap). Their customer service can be lacking but their pricing makes it worth the hassle IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watcha View Post
    Part of the appeal of the speedy to me is that it can be worn with so many different strap combinations. In my opinion its the only watch you ever really need, and I would never be without one.
    unless you want to know the date or go swimming in it i guess

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    unless you want to know the date or go swimming in it i guess
    Not a fan then lol. To be fair, people do swim in them, the latest are 50m resistant but I personally wouldn't in any of mine when there are other more suitable watches out there.

Because mine will always be on a strap I wouldn't get it wet anyway so that doesn't bother me but it does limit the amount of wear it gets since I go to the gym and shower every day with my watches on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Not a fan then lol. To be fair, people do swim in them, the latest are 50m resistant but I personally wouldn't in any of mine when there are other more suitable watches out there.
    I wouldn't swim in a 50m water resistant watch, especially a £3k one! 100m min for swimming and 200m for diving.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    I wouldn't swim in a 50m water resistant watch, especially a £3k one! 100m min for swimming and 200m for diving.
    Nor would I but lets not start this debate again. I won't be long before someone says 'dynamic pressure' and there will be face palming all round! Any watch rated at 50m and actually pressure tested recently to check that the rating is current should be fine for swimming unless you are Jaques Mayol. Using the pushers underwater is probably a no no and diving off the high board inadvisable but otherwise there it is.

Craftsman
    I wear G shocks for everyday stuff. The Speedy will be mainly worn at work. Water resistance is not really a concern for me.

Craftsman
    Why is this one (serial number ending .002)

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega...30-01-002.html

more expensive than this one? (Serial ending .001)

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega...30-01-001.html

One is the sapphire crystal model with the clear case back, the other isn't.

Craftsman
    .002 is listed with a transparent case back, is that the only difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Nor would I but lets not start this debate again. I won't be long before someone says 'dynamic pressure' and there will be face palming all round! Any watch rated at 50m and actually pressure tested recently to check that the rating is current should be fine for swimming unless you are Jaques Mayol. Using the pushers underwater is probably a no no and diving off the high board inadvisable but otherwise there it is.
    I bust open a G Shock (200m) in 4 feet of sea off Biarritz.

I was surfing at the time, bailed and got churned up in a huge wave. Face full of sand. By the time I'd pulled the leash in I realised my watch was just full of water. Sent it back to Casio, £80 for a new module as out of warranty by 3 months.

Craftsman

Tell me about the Speedy Pro

Spotted a moon watch walking past a jewellers earlier. 1973 box but no papers £3000

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Jumping on this to show a fine picture of mine from earlier today.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for all the picture and info on the Speedy. Really love the watch. Will definitely be getting one.

Craftsman
    pro's and con's of Sapphire crystal case back or metal?

Craftsman
    and where would be a good place to buy leather straps from if I opt for a metal bracelet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    and where would be a good place to buy leather straps from if I opt for a metal bracelet?
    Depends how much you wish to pay though bear in mind that even the very best of the non Watch brand straps are usually 50/70% below the price of an Omega Leather.
    If you want smart then Hirsch straps do great alligator straps or padded calf. My Speedie is vintage with a faded tachy so I'm getting Heuerville to produce one of his hand made Rallye straps. These look beautiful and sporty though not super shiny smart like an alligator.
    If you google Speedie on leather you will literally see hundreds of shots. In fact whole threads have been created over your very same question.

Master
    I would rather show you:

Pav79 is a member of the forum and an excellent strap maker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost 4 years?

Last edited by number2; 16th April 2017 at 07:43.

pro's and con's of Sapphire crystal case back or metal?
    - Sapphire case back version has a Sapphire crystal too, so you don't have to polish the acrylic.

- Movement is all metal, there's a small piece of plastic on the steel case back version

- Steel case back version has an inner metal case back to further protect the movement

- Steel case back version is more in keeping with the original

Yes it's true - the Speedie looks equally good on leather as on steel ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    - Sapphire case back version has a Sapphire crystal too, so you don't have to polish the acrylic.

- Movement is all metal, there's a small piece of plastic on the steel case back version

- Steel case back version has an inner metal case back to further protect the movement

- Steel case back version is more in keeping with the original
    is there a metal case back version with Sapphire crystal for the dial?

Craftsman
    I've just seen one of these online and I have now given myself some issues, this looks really nice......

http://www.thewatchsource.co.uk/item...FcZuGwod4-sJQw

Craftsman
    A Speedmaster Professional 'sapphire sandwich' i.e ref: 311.33.42.30.01.002 is perfect - if you are going to buy just one Speedy....(lots of people have several! Lol! Addicts like me...). The premium over the non-sapphire version is worth it IMHO - crystal glass means it doesn't scratch as easily as the hexalite plastic version and the sapphire glass back means you can admire the higher standard of finish on the 1863 movement compared to the basic steel back 001. It really is finished to an exceptional standard for the money. It looks amazing on the black croc strap that comes from Omega with the ss deployant buckle. It comes with a couple of extra straps (Nato and velcro astronaut replica) as well as a strap changing strap bar tool, a big showy box and at £3,390 at Iconic (almost £700 off RRP) for a brand new one is great value. I have bought from them myself and can attest to their excellent service and rapid delivery. And you will have the full Omega warranty.

The Speedy '57 Co-Axial Chronograph 41.5mm you spotted is a very different watch; it is automatic (the Speedy Pro's are manual wind watches using the 1861/1863 movements that have direct line of sight to the original Speedies) and as such is not regarded by 'purists' as a real Speedy. It is a tribute watch to the '57 straight lug Speedmaster, with faux-patina lume and other tribute touches. It has two sub-dials not 3 and has a date if you like that. Not what I like personally. But who cares what purists (or I) think - buy the watch that you like best. I know I would buy the Speedy Pro every time, and save some money in the process. Your choice.... either is a great watch.
    Last edited by tom waring; 24th April 2017 at 15:28.

Craftsman
    Thanks. I went to an OB today and looked at many different versions. The .001 and .002. The sapphire case back version is very nice indeed. I also looked at a larger version that was a numbered series, bigger case, also very nice. It was on a bracelet, would be nice to see it on a good leather strap. I also tried on the 57, white face. I have to say it is a stunning watch, I love the thicker case and the more angular case and I like it's overall size. Sapphire back, lovely watch. They are getting me a black face version for me to look at.

I've spoilt myself by looking at the '57.

But, sensible hat on, it's over £6k and strays away from my intention of not paying a lot of money for a new watch. I think I will opt for the .002, from Iconic and then try to find a Sinn U1 on the used market. I then get the option of wearing a nice dress watch, or the bigger diver depending on what takes my fancy. I always have a couple of G-Shocks that I rotate.

Craftsman
    Thanks. I went to an OB today and looked at many different versions. The .001 and .002. The sapphire case back version is very nice indeed. I also looked at a larger version that was a numbered series, bigger case, also very nice. It was on a bracelet, would be nice to see it on a good leather strap. I also tried on the 57, white face. I have to say it is a stunning watch, I love the thicker case and the more angular case and I like it's overall size. Sapphire back, lovely watch. They are getting me a black face version for me to look at.

I've spoilt myself by looking at the '57.

But, sensible hat on, it's over £6k and strays away from my intention of not paying a lot of money for a new watch. I think I will opt for the .002, from Iconic and then try to find a Sinn U1 on the used market. I then get the option of wearing a nice dress watch, or the bigger diver depending on what takes my fancy. I always have a couple of G-Shocks that I rotate.
    Good choice! If the Speedy magic works on you, you will soon get to enjoy the ritual of manually winding the watch. Some people can't be arsed, but others enjoy it. I am in the latter group. The sandwich is the classic Speedy Pro with the lovely finish 1863 movement, but with the added benefits of non-scratch glass and a sapphire back so you can see the movement. Enjoy it - it will really grow on you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does the 31130423001005 i.e the current speedy pro with the massive box have the omega logo etched on the hesalite?

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Does the 31130423001005 i.e the current speedy pro with the massive box have the omega logo etched on the hesalite?
    Yes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I really like the Speedy moonwatch, only reason I don`t own one is the size, it wears too big for my liking.

At the risk of upsetting the vintage Speedy fans, my advice is to buy the newest you can find, or a new one. There simply isn`t enough difference to justify owing an older one, the whole market for the old ones is a bit contrived in my opinion but it's gathered momentum in recent years.

Don't be fooled, the old ones aren`t worth the hassle......I`m a fan of vintage watches but in this case the modern incarnation would be my choice.

Paul

Craftsman
    Don’t wish to sound negative, but I came close to selling mine very recently, but decided to hang on to it at the last minute.

The issue I’ve developed is that I just find the dial quite underwhelming. Obviously, the plain white hands and painted markers are all part of the iconic design, but compared to many modern design watches with shiny applied markers and glossy dials/ bezels it can appear very flat.

Just to say be 100% happy with the dial before you buy, particularly as you will regard this as a dressier piece. If you do find yourself wanting something with a fancier dial, some of the other speedy models offer this.

I’m hanging on to mine for a while longer at least. I do like the watch itself and the heritage appeal, plus history. It’s basically a cool watch to own, with its manual wind and hesalite Chrystal making it more of a unique owning experience compared to most modern watches. However, I do regard it as my “under the radar” watch, due to its relatively plain appearance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I really like the Speedy moonwatch, only reason I don`t own one is the size, it wears too big for my liking.

At the risk of upsetting the vintage Speedy fans, my advice is to buy the newest you can find, or a new one. There simply isn`t enough difference to justify owing an older one, the whole market for the old ones is a bit contrived in my opinion but it's gathered momentum in recent years.

Don't be fooled, the old ones aren`t worth the hassle......I`m a fan of vintage watches but in this case the modern incarnation would be my choice.

Paul

Have to agree with you. I see some beat up ones and I wonder why they are premium

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Don’t wish to sound negative, but I came close to selling mine very recently, but decided to hang on to it at the last minute.
    There was a thread about this recently that struck a chord with me, think the gist was I like my speedy, but love my others. It’s a great watch, I just reach for the others first.

Be interesting to hear how the OP got on!

Thought a few times about selling my Speedy Pro as it isn't the same quality as my Rolex and I don't think it's overly amazing in real life, just looks great on wristshots, but ultimately it's a nice posh watch which you can wear anywhere and not care too much about. Helps that it isn't seen as a status symbol or arrogant, just a decent watch. If I ever feel uncomfortable wearing a Rolex anywhere I always get the Speedy.

In an ideal world I would have smaller wrists and own the first in space version on brown leather which is 40mm.

I've a recent Speedy Pro, and it's basically kicked my Sub from wrist duty. I do go back to the Sub - forcibly so - but gravitate back towards the Speedy.

The dial is superbly legible, it's comfortable on Perlon as the head doesn't seem too weighty so doesn't flop around, and I use the chronograph function every few days. I'd love it to have a 5100 type centre minutes counter, but that isn't going to happen unless I go for one of the (to me) ugly variants as the classically-styled centre minutes Speedy is so ridiculously rare (and possibly would have to be an addition to the Pro as the 376.0822 is really rather different).

It's a cracking watch. I'll go vintage when I have the cash.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 9th July 2018 at 02:06.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thought a few times about selling my Speedy Pro as it isn't the same quality as my Rolex and I don't think it's overly amazing in real life, just looks great on wristshots, but ultimately it's a nice posh watch which you can wear anywhere and not care too much about. Helps that it isn't seen as a status symbol or arrogant, just a decent watch. If I ever feel uncomfortable wearing a Rolex anywhere I always get the Speedy.

In an ideal world I would have smaller wrists and own the first in space version on brown leather which is 40mm.

Weirdly, I thought long and hard about getting a Rolex (specifically a polar Explorer) over the Speedy, and found the Omega to be of superior quality in just about every way - especially the bracelet.

I like the 3572.50 - hesalite crystal, like the originals, with sapphire caseback to see the movement. Only made for a little while before they went all sapphire, front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Weirdly, I thought long and hard about getting a Rolex (specifically a polar Explorer) over the Speedy, and found the Omega to be of superior quality in just about every way - especially the bracelet.
    5 digit Rolex might be on par but 6 digit references are leagues ahead

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    There was a thread about this recently that struck a chord with me, think the gist was I like my speedy, but love my others. It’s a great watch, I just reach for the others first.

Be interesting to hear how the OP got on!
    That was me😀

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Helps that it isn't seen as a status symbol or arrogant, just a decent watch. If I ever feel uncomfortable wearing a Rolex anywhere I always get the Speedy.
    Agreed on this. My speedy will be my holiday watch this year. Some recent threads have made me think twice about wearing what might be more easily recognisable by thieves in busy/ tourist areas.

My moonwatch is one of only two watches I’ll never sell (unless in really dire circumstances).

Quite apart from all the moon/Apollo stuff – which will no doubt really ramp-up again with next year’s 50th anniversary of the moon landings – it’s just a really great watch: suits almost any strap; well-sized; tough; superbly legible no matter whether in bright sun, dusk or pitch black; loads of character; and a masterpiece of symmetrical, clear, beautiful dial design. I actually find the chronograph function really useful as well (which I know many don’t!).

In terms of build quality, it’s true that it feels less substantially weighty in hand, largely because of the plexi-crystal being lighter than sapphire, but then the hesalite is absolutely key to its charm, and in many aspects is a better crystal material than sapphire. Though I love them, I can also understand the painted hands & matt dial perhaps initially seeming a bit sub-par when compared to the 18-ct white gold hands/indices & glossy dials that Rolex use, or the razor-edged dial fixtures & stunning, shimmering dials offered by Grand Seiko, but the Speedmaster dial has a subtle beauty of its own, with a nice eggshell texture, pleasing curves and shifting in colour from black to grey in different lights.

Craftsman
    Just realised this thread has just been resurrected from over a year ago...

Would be interesting to hear if the op got a speedy, which one etc.

Craftsman
    Speedy is my daily wearer - for my needs, it’s perfect, especially on the 1171.

Fantastic quality, the best way to spend £3000-3500, one of THE most iconic watches, looks awesome

but...

I don't wear mine because it wears a bit large. I want to like it, it deserves to be worn, but I find its size a bit obtrusive. I find my 43mm Aerospace easier to wear, and that is a larger watch. Odd. It's very hard to explain.

Dave