closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha watches >>>

Alpha watches >>>

What do you guys think of them i have ordered a Alpha Newman Daytona, i am just curious to know what you guys think of this watch and other alpha watches, please post any pictures you might have.

Ive had both Explorer and Daytona homages.

I bought them from this dealer on eBay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/homage-watches-uk

The first Explorer was awful, the crown felt as though it was full of sand and the auto wind didn't work. The dealer replaced it quickly and politely with one that was OK. It ran fine and looked good. The bracelet was awful but on leather or perlon it was a nice little watch to wear for work. At the time I also tried a Tiger Concepts Explorer which I thought superior in terms of build quality - and it was cheaper! In some ways I preferred the Tiger to the Zeno Explorer which cost over three times as much. I think that Alpha's quality control is a bit patchy (see below) but when you get a good one they are well worth having. The only reason I sold mine was due to one of my periodic culls as my attention shifted elsewhere. I would happily have another one.

Here it is next to a Yokobies modded Seiko 5 and a Zex

For me the cream dial one is the best looking

As regards the Daytona homage, well compared to something like a Steinhart then its amazing value if you can put up with some of its shortcomings. Once again the bracelet is awful - a horrid hollow link rattly affair with a clasp that pops open far too easily. I wasn't too impressed with the crown either as the screw down action was tricky to engage - something of a drawback on a manually wound watch. However the movement, a Seagull ST19 a real bonus at this price point, ran well enough. Mine was running fast but I never got round to getting this sorted - I think that Ian the next owner (Ian_O) did though. He might be along on in a minute to confirm.

The case finish was more than acceptable and the cream dial looked spot on in my opinion. I really enjoyed wearing it, especially on leather.

Since selling it I have rather missed it. Despite the limitations, and I would certainly question the long term durability of the crown, I would definitely have another. In fact I may well do so next month......

Looks cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    Looks cheap though.
    There ARE cheap! Still nicer looking and better put together than the fashion brand tat at double or triple the money.

I bought an Alpha Submariner (in black) many years back from Alpha direct - I think I paid about £45 for it on bracelet.

Reason I bought it was I'd tried on the Rolex Submariner 16610 in dealers but really couldn't get past the rattly bracelet for the £4.5k asking price at the time. I also had only ever worn blue watches so a simple black diver would have been something of a departure for me.

The idea with the Alpha was to have a cheap way to try that style/look/size and know that it was right for me. I must say I really did enjoy wearing it and it helped me understand why people liked the Rolex: the details in the finishing aren't the same (obviously), but the overall impression is there in the case shape etc.

As an aside, and ignoring the moral implications, I can totally see why some people say they buy fakes to see if they like a style before buying the real deal.
    That said, you can buy an homage instead as I did.
    That said, the point has been raised that there is a good chance the parts used on an homage such as this may in fact be used by others to manufacture fakes.....

Anyway, as Velorum said, the winding/crown can have something of a crunchy feel, and the bezel has a loud stiffness to it, but I was surprised at what I would say was a pretty good level of case and bezel finishing that is not a million miles away from what it imitates. The lume wasn't bad either.

The dial finishing is where it's price is more obvious, but printing and appliqué hour markers aren't going to be spot on for that kind of money. I have a splotchy paint job on the H of Alpha, the minute hand is a little scratched, and the hand lume doesn't really match the hour markers in colour.

I never wore it on the bracelet but instead as a fun knockabout on a NATO strap and as something I could smash about at work, which I did.

It didn't make me buy the 16610 (still can't stand the old bracelet) but I think it opened my eyes that outside of the highstreet there is a whole world of affordable watches out there that are great fun.

I think for the price the Alpha Paul Newman homage is ok. Like others said QA can be a bit patchy, but mine has been fine. The bracelet I found to be a bit cheap and nasty and I started to fall out of love with it tbh. I added a leather rally strap and that was much better, so kept it in my collection.

The thing is, it's not that it's a bad watch, but you can spend not much more on a still affordable watch and the difference is quite acute IMHO.

I did also see recently an alpha that was homage to a Speedmaster and to be honest quite liked the look of it.

I also think for me, it wears a little small on the wrist, and I prefer something a little more substantial.

Cheap copies.

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by siblingchris View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Cheap copies.
    Well I guess all homages could be deemed copies - indeed there are some excellent homages in the forum owners very own online shop.

I agree this is indeed cheap and at the end of the day you usually get what you pay for. I regard them as a bit of inexpensive fun.
    Last edited by Velorum; 9th April 2017 at 17:15. Reason: spelling!

Exactly it will be interesting to see how it performs, i have been on the look out for one for awhile now, if only i had 100K for a Rolex LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Well I guess all homages could be deemed copies - but probably best not to go there as there are some excellent homages in the forum owners very own shop.

I agree this is indeed cheap and at the end of the day you usually get what you way for. I regard them as a bit of inexpensive fun.

[QUOTE=Velorum;4311142]Well I guess all homages could be deemed copies - indeed there are some excellent homages in the forum owners very own online shop.

I agree this is indeed cheap and at the end of the day you usually get what you way for. I regard them as a bit of inexpensive fun.[/QUOTE

I would go the micro brand route personally for homages.

Cheap copies.
    Bit harsh, they don't claim to be something they aren't take a chill pill.

Master
    I've had a few, including this one...

...the sub-dial printing could have been sharper but overall a decent watch. And the solid bracelet was pretty good too.

Had these two since 2008...

...both reliable & permanent fixtures in my collection

Your Daytona looks nice, i cant wait to get mine and it was for very little money for a Mechanical Chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    I've had a few, including this one...

...the sub-dial printing could have been sharper but overall a decent watch. And the solid bracelet was pretty good too.

Had these two since 2008...

...both reliable & permanent fixtures in my collection

INcidentally whats the power reserve of the Alpha Daytona?

And another question how many jewels does the movement have?

Quote Originally Posted by SSK007 View Post
    INcidentally whats the power reserve of the Alpha Daytona?

Off topic admittedly, but nice strap
    Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

That lovely and generous TZer Fords gave me a Newman Daytona for fundraising purposes. I managed to incorporate it into a joke auction night at my car club and it helped raise a couple of hundred for the North West Air Ambulance. I see the new owner each month and she absolutely loves it.
    Good man Fords.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by siblingchris View Post
    Off topic admittedly, but nice strap
    Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?
    Both watch & strap are long gone. I don't recall where I got the strap, but if it comes to me I'll let you know

Did you get a good price for the watch, sorry if thats being to nosey.

Both watch & strap are long gone. I don't recall where I got the strap, but if it comes to me I'll let you know

They're not exactly expensive new so doubt second hand it would fetch all that much

The strap looks like a Hirsch Liberty

I regard them as a bit of inexpensive fun.
    +1

I've had a few decent watches and yet I still enjoy the odd Alpha. I've had their Daytona homage but it was smashed on a night out. A bit like me, IIRC.

Good job it wasn't the original.

A very good job it wasnt!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    +1

I've had a few decent watches and yet I still enjoy the odd Alpha. I've had their Daytona homage but it was smashed on a night out. A bit like me, IIRC.

Good job it wasn't the original.

A very good job it wasnt!
    I should say that I'm very careful with more valuable watches - they get a lot of TLC.

The Alpha was bought on a whim and worn in the gym. Not surprisingly, its days were numbered.

yeh i need a new gym watch, one thats cheap cheerful and nice to look at , and i am sure the Alpha suits that,

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I should say that I'm very careful with more valuable watches - they get a lot of TLC.

The Alpha was bought on a whim and worn in the gym. Not surprisingly, its days were numbered.
    Last edited by SSK007; 9th April 2017 at 21:40.

Master
    The strap looks like a Hirsch Liberty
    You're right, it was a Liberty

Master
    Did you get a good price for the watch, sorry if thats being to nosey.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?83387-FS-Alpha-Panda-chronograph-*Sold*&highlight=Alpha

I've had a couple of Alphas (in fact, still got a green bezel on white dial Sub homage that I never wear). I bought my brother one for his 21st. It fell apart within a year.

Then I bought a Tiger. Such better quality that I still wear it regularly. Even the bracelet is comfy.

Ive had both Explorer and Daytona homages.

As regards the Daytona homage, well compared to something like a Steinhart then its amazing value if you can put up with some of its shortcomings. Once again the bracelet is awful - a horrid hollow link rattly affair with a clasp that pops open far too easily. I wasn't too impressed with the crown either as the screw down action was tricky to engage - something of a drawback on a manually wound watch. However the movement, a Seagull ST19 a real bonus at this price point, ran well enough. Mine was running fast but I never got round to getting this sorted - I think that Ian the next owner (Ian_O) did though. He might be along on in a minute to confirm.
    Sorry, only just noticed this thread. The Alpha Daytona homage is still going strong and probably looks no different from when you owned it Ian! I still enjoy wearing it. I took it to Duncan (thewatchbloke) and he sorted the fast running. I can't remember what the original problem was now. It was something a little unusual that was causing it to run very fast, but Duncan worked his magic on it and it's been running at about +5 secs per day ever since.

The "cheap watch" comments make me laugh. Yes, of course it is, that's the whole point. Don't confuse "cheap" with "value for money". For the low price I think these watches offer good value. The overall finish may vary from one example to another, but all I can say is that my one is finished far better than I would have expected for the price paid.

Awesome pictures, those just make me wish i had it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    Sorry, only just noticed this thread. The Alpha Daytona homage is still going strong and probably looks no different from when you owned it Ian! I still enjoy wearing it. I took it to Duncan (thewatchbloke) and he sorted the fast running. I can't remember what the original problem was now. It was something a little unusual that was causing it to run very fast, but Duncan worked his magic on it and it's been running at about +5 secs per day ever since.

The "cheap watch" comments make me laugh. Yes, of course it is, that's the whole point. Don't confuse "cheap" with "value for money". For the low price I think these watches offer good value. The overall finish may vary from one example to another, but all I can say is that my one is finished far better than I would have expected for the price paid.

Good to see it again Ian. I knew Duncan would be able to get it running just fine.

Homage Watches will be getting more in stock next month

Homage Watches will be getting more in stock next month
    Google isn't helping. Is that a shop?

A-ha! Thanks. :)

Awesome pictures, those just make me wish i had it now!
    Thank you! :-)

Apprentice
    I enjoyed the daytona I had but the screwdown crown on a hand wind watch was pretty silly, if it wasn't for that then I would say it was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Darylw357 View Post
    I enjoyed the daytona I had but the screwdown crown on a hand wind watch was pretty silly, if it wasn't for that then I would say it was perfect.
    Wonder how easy it would be to modify it?
    Last edited by Velorum; 11th April 2017 at 14:35.

Apprentice
    Wonder how easy it would be to modify it?
    Cut down the stem, grind off the stem tube threading and remove the crown spring is how I'd do it. One for the 'Mods and Wreckers' ?

Here it is some pictures finally >>>

Splendid!

As a matter of interest where did you get it from?

Hi there was from an Ebay seller 50 Quid cant go wrong can you.

Splendid!

As a matter of interest where did you get it from?

Yes, that's outstanding for £50 - great work!

Thanks i think its the one watch that costed me very little apart from a Vostok Amphibia.

Yes, that's outstanding for £50 - great work!

Just curious what kind of water resistance do you get from these watches?

Hi

I've had a few Alpha's through the years, Only have these two Triple daters left now though

John

Cracking pair

About 10 years ago Alpha produced a limited number of Speedmaster homages. Ive seen a couple for sale over the years but what put me off was they weren't in fact a proper chrono - the sub dials were day/date complications:

The reason I mention this is that they have just produced another batch but with a proper chrono movement and functioning sub dials:

Seagull SG 2903 manual wind movement. £140

Last edited by Velorum; 27th April 2017 at 22:24.

I thought that I would order a couple of pieces from the latest batch to reach the UK.

The Daytona seems to be better quality then the last one I owned - the crown definitely feels better.

The Speedmaster homage also seems well put together - what I now realise is that the pictures in my previous post are of a modified one. As standard they come with chrome sub dial hands and red second hand:

Ive sent mine off to have them painted white.
    Last edited by Velorum; 2nd May 2017 at 21:34.