closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need a new smartphone

Need a new smartphone

So my Google Nexus 4 has died after 4 years use. I currently have a Sim only deal with 3.

I'm used to Android (never had an iPhone) so considering the Samsung S8 or the older 7 edge.

Anyone care to advise me on which phone and which monthly contract to go for?

Thanks all.

I've had iPhones for years but changed to an S7 Edge last month. Absolutely love it.

It's my first Android phone so I would say the 7 or 8 would be fine.

I also looked at the Google Pixel which was rather good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    I've had iPhones for years but changed to an S7 Edge last month. Absolutely love it.

It's my first Android phone so I would say the 7 or 8 would be fine.

I also looked at the Google Pixel which was rather good too.
    Good to know, thanks. How different is it from the iPhone in your experience?

I guess with the new S8 coming out there will be some deals on the S7 edge.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 8th April 2017 at 17:30.

iPhone all day for me. I used Samsung for years whilst resisting the whole Apple thing. One I went to iPhone though, that was it, I could never go back. I flirted with the idea of going back to Samsung in December when I had use of an S7 for a week but absolutely hated it.

^
    Personal taste. I love my S7 Edge too.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    ^
    Personal taste. I love my S7 Edge too.
    Correct

Phones, watches, cars, women....all personal taste!

I suppose the questions are
    1. Do you need a monthly contract and,
    2. Do you need the current top of the line phone?

I had a nexus 4 until last year, having owned it since soon after launch. I've been on giffgaff since 2013. I think if you do the maths it's often cheaper to buy the phone outright and then use a sim only deal. The nexus 4 was good value, but I'm not willing to pay nearly two or three times that for a pixel or an S8, although the cameras are reportedly great.

Could you live with a midrange phone or an older flagship? Might be worth checking out hotukdeals/mobiles.

Journeyman
    I was using a nexus 4 until it finally broke last year, would still be using it otherwise. I too am on giff gaff for my sim. I picked up a secondhand nexus 5 for under £100, it does everything I need it to do.

Pixel and a SIM only plan.

I got a bnib pixel for 330 from the sc

I'm seriously considering the new Huawei P10 to replace my HTC M8, but waiting to see what the prices look like. The P9 was around £200 cheaper than the other premium smartphones when it launched, but there are rumours this time that Huawei will up the price, so it will still be cheaper that the S8 and iPhone 7s/8, but much closer to them - probably a similar price to the Pixel.

Apprentice
    Go for old stock. Unless you play a lot of graphic intensive games on your phone, you will not see much difference between a phone with Snapdragon 801, 808 or 820.

You will notice the difference, but not enough to justify the difference in cost.

LG G3 can be had for very little money, SD card, removable battery, large screen estate with very high pixel density.

LG G4, V10 are slightly more expensive, but also slightly faster. V10 is built like a tank.

If you decide to go this route, make sure to get new, not refurbished.

Sent from my LG-D858HK using Tapatalk

Master
    If you don't play games go for a Motorola Moto X2 or G3-G4. They are cheap, good battery, excellent reception and WiFi and don't have any blotware.
    Switch off the automatic updates and the phone will work great for at least the next 2-3 years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I'm seriously considering the new Huawei P10 to replace my HTC M8, but waiting to see what the prices look like. The P9 was around £200 cheaper than the other premium smartphones when it launched, but there are rumours this time that Huawei will up the price, so it will still be cheaper that the S8 and iPhone 7s/8, but much closer to them - probably a similar price to the Pixel.
    If you had the HTC 8, then consider the 10, its a cracking phone.............

Never had anything other than the Apple iphone.

ticka all the boxes and easy to use

Mozza

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm a diehard Apple fan.
    Smashed the screen of my 6 plus a few weeks ago and picked up a Samsung s7 as an interim measure while the iPhone was being replaced on insurance. Got the iPhone back...

Went back to the s7 after a day.

The back button is so useful. And I'm really enjoying not being tied to Apple only stuff for tv film and music.
    Some of the Android apps are superb, and the screen is better, as is the battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetorric View Post
    If you had the HTC 8, then consider the 10, its a cracking phone.............
    Yeah, I've very much enjoyed the M8 - it's barely missed a beat until the last month or so, might wait and see what the 11 (or whatever daft name they are thinking of giving it) brings. Expect that will come in at the £600-£700 mark too though, and Huawei have released the UK version of the P10 at £569 with 64gb, which is more than I really want to pay, so new front runner is the OnePlus 3T midnight black special edition, at £429 for the 128gb version it seems to tick all the relevant boxes for me.

Master
    Motorola, pick your price point and order direct. Well made and good vfm.

Yeah, I've very much enjoyed the M8 - it's barely missed a beat until the last month or so, might wait and see what the 11 (or whatever daft name they are thinking of giving it) brings. Expect that will come in at the £600-£700 mark too though, and Huawei have released the UK version of the P10 at £569 with 64gb, which is more than I really want to pay, so new front runner is the OnePlus 3T midnight black special edition, at £429 for the 128gb version it seems to tick all the relevant boxes for me.
    Isn't it time for a reality check, latest must have phones at £700+ Na not me, there's not enough difference in performance to warrant such prices.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a 5GTBP per month sim only deal on my iphone 5 - when the phone packed in I bought a new Samsung j3 for 120GBP, popped the sim in and carried on. I don't use much beyond calls, texts, camera, web and a few apps, so not a high end user. But I don't miss the iphone.

Craftsman
    I have a Pixel, fantastic. I had a Nexus 4 too. In between that an LG g3. Going back to raw google is brill

I can`t fault the Pixel at all. the battery is brilliant

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OnePlus 3T is where it's at

I despise Samsung phones.I find them very non user friendly and I'm no technophobe!

I use an iPhone and an Android phone daily for work. Until recently the Android phone has always been a Samsung provided by work, but whilst abroad for a month I got so fed up with it I went to Carrefour and bought a HTC for about £100.
    I find the HTC so much easier to get on with than the Samsung worth nearly 6 times as much!

It's mainly the little things, like typing. I find typing on the iPhone instinctively easy and the HTC almost as much so, but the Samsung's always found a way to suggest I might like to type something else. Grrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by will852 View Post
    I despise Samsung phones.I find them very non user friendly and I'm no technophobe!

I use an iPhone and an Android phone daily for work. Until recently the Android phone has always been a Samsung provided by work, but whilst abroad for a month I got so fed up with it I went to Carrefour and bought a HTC for about £100.
    I find the HTC so much easier to get on with than the Samsung worth nearly 6 times as much!

It's mainly the little things, like typing. I find typing on the iPhone instinctively easy and the HTC almost as much so, but the Samsung's always found a way to suggest I might like to type something else. Grrrrr.
    The swiftkey app solves all this.

Swiftkey is very good. It's now on my S7 Edge. Great for one-handed use. As it were.

Master
    I tried an iPhone a couple of years ago on contract and just couldn't get on with it. Too many limitations for me and too dependent on an "Apple culture". Had to send it back and swapped to a Galaxy which is perfect. Probably just a personal thing but I ended up hating that iPhone with a passion - never again.

Ex has a Moto G4 and it excellent value for money, robust, looks the part and has a really good specification

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    OnePlus 3T is where it's at
    @amnesia - I assume from this you have one - would be great to hear any pro's and cons from your perspective?

Craftsman
    samsung s7....im amazed how good that phone is...

- - - Updated - - -

@amnesia - I assume from this you have one - would be great to hear any pro's and cons from your perspective?

i tried it but its too large

Try a Samsung Note 4.... not latest technology / handset but in my opinion functional.... considered a bit big by some but great for email and browsing. ...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Master
    +1. Flipped a lot of phones but returned to the Note 4. Great screen estate, sd card and removable battery.
    The pen is also cool to use.

Moro z

Moto z on offer at car phone whore house for £299

It's an amazing phone and apparently a very good offer

I had an iPhone 4 for years, until the battery stopped holding more than about 8 hours charge it was brilliant. So I tried an HTC one m8 and have to say whilst the experience was generally good, I found the android platform very glitchy and after about 18 months they all seem to slow down and need regular fiddling to keep them going. A fair few friends have found the same - and meanwhile my iPhone 4 worked as well as the day it came out of the box (ok, apart from the battery). I recently reverted to an iPhone 7 and it just feels so much more intuitive. Won't be going back to android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the M8 excellent but it was only a base 16GB unit so I was forever fiddling to keep a useful amount of free memory, even though I had a 32GB mSD card installed. The sound quality was superb, better than my current S7 Edge, which is a better phone all round apart from that. With the same app usage my free memory on this 32GB unit hovers around 16GB, plus a fast 64GB mSD card.

Master
    Pixel would probably be the logical move from a nexus.

I considered it but Vodafone offered me iPhone 7 with a bucket load of data, texts, minutes and sky sports for £30 a month. I'm a massive iPhone fan having had one from the first model so it's an easy upgrade to make.

The pixel is the only handset that has turned my head. I tried a Samsung Galaxy once but I couldn't get on with it

Craftsman
    I also am not really up to paying such premium for a mobile phone, but iPhones are performing so much better. Hard to describe the difference between them and the others, it needs to be experienced.

I personally rather have my more than 5 years old 4S (had the newest 5S at the time but when I realized I don't need the extra power, switched back after some 8 months) than the newest Samsung/Nexus.

It is nothing because of showing off that I have an iPhone (most of the time my phone is the oldest one by far) but really love the interface.

You might want to consider an iPhone. I believe the operator still offers older models such as 6S/6S Plus as well, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Journeyman
    Samsung s7 edge or oneplus 3t

I used to be a chronic phone changer but finally settled on the s7 edge , great screen, great battery and Micro sd slot.
    Last edited by bigup; 17th April 2017 at 09:36.

Bit the bullet and bought an S7 over the weekend. 3T et al too big for my liking, so the S7 fit the bill size wise and since the S8 release the price has dropped, so far it seems pretty damn awesome!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have the OnePlus 3... the 3T only added a slightly larger battery, slightly better front camera (16mp) and a larger storage option of 128Gb. For the money you can't beat it IMHO. The battery lasts a day with a lot of use, although who cares when the Dash Charge will give you 50%+ battery in about 20 minutes. Waiting with anticipation for the OnePlus 5 due out in a couple of months.

Master
    Just picked up a Moto G5. My Samsung S4 Mini died as a result of a software update!

Very impressed with the quality and specification of the Moto and compared to the usual suspects incredible value for money.

Very little manufacturer bloatware. As such I now use more Cloud based apps which is going to make my life a lot easier and my device requirements far more agnostic and flexible.

One happy bunny.....

P2

Just got it and sorting out the swapping over but it's a bloody amazing phone

The price compared to apple is astonishingly low

You can pick them up sub £250

I've recently switched to an iPhone from android. I'm delighted with the straight forward way it works. One thing I found annoyed me with android (tablet and phone) was the inconsistent way it performed, sometimes very fast, sometimes very slow. I felt at times that neither tablet (Nexus 7) nor phone (latterly Samsung S3) were actually mine but rather they would reluctantly let me use them once they'd finished what they needed to do, telling google where I'd been, what I'd been searching for, that sort of thing. The iPhone (and more recently iPad) are just so much more consistent.

There is no right or wrong OS just whatever you're happiest with.

Craftsman
    Another vote for the oneplus 3t. It does everything pretty well, though it is a bit big in the pocket. Had it a week now.

Master
    I'm awaiting delivery of a Google Pixel. Making the big jump to android.

Got rid of the MacBook, rarely use the iPad so the desire for it all to be synced like they were before is not there. Also think I'm getting bored and fancy a change

I went from a Nexus 4 to a LG G5 phone, great phone and the fact you are able to change the battery or carry a spare is ideal if you're travelling.

I'm on a pay monthly 3 SIM only deal - which has worked really well for me. The fact roaming is included in your UK mins and data is worth it for me even if you only travel a couple of times a year.

Phone wise i've just moved from a Samsung S6 Edge to a S8 and i'm really impressed. Stunningly quick, screen is gorgeous and the battery life seems a lot better. Always on screen is surprisingly useful as you don't need to wake the screen to see if you have a message. Which is useful at work. NEEDS a case though as it's slippery as hell.

The Apple vs Android debate is pretty pointless IMHO, it's a religious divide and they both have their fans. I prefer android as i'm an IT geek and i like the control i have (ie i leave work and my work phone automatically forwards texts and calls to my personal mobile. I arrive at work and my personal phone automatically goes into silent mode) but i appreciate many people don't care for that. So if you prefer an iphone then on you go.

Interestingly i think the ipad does a better job as a tablet than any android version but i think that's more to do with sites being optimised for it than anything else. Mind you a chromebook does a better job than both :D
    Last edited by Lazydonkey; 1st May 2017 at 09:34.

Still like my Xperia Z1 compact, still doing all I ask of it, though am quite interested in the new Blackberry keyone.

Quote Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
    I was using a nexus 4 until it finally broke last year, would still be using it otherwise. I too am on giff gaff for my sim. I picked up a secondhand nexus 5 for under £100, it does everything I need it to do.
    This ^^^ Bought a Nexus 5 off here and got one for Liz £50 & £80. Brilliant phone and running Android Nougat.

Master
    Using my new Samsung S8 to type this. Seems very nice so far. The camera is stunning.

Are there any must have Android apps I should be downloading?

Didn't need to use it but in the box they supply an adaptor to plug your old phone into your new one to transfer everything across.

this looks cheap from Gearbest Xiaomi Mi5s £224 - MIUI 8 5.15 inch Snapdragon 821 2.15GHz Quad Core 3GB RAM 64GB ROM FHD Screen Fingerprint Scanner Type-C

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/...fslgyuzlwu3duv
    Last edited by Daniel; 7th May 2017 at 11:36. Reason: bad spellings