closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 116710 BLNR or 16750

116710 BLNR or 16750

No pics yet sadly but we all know the models in question. I have been after a GMT back for a while now and waiting for the BLNR prices to soften a bit, which they now have, a bit.

My options on the table are a 2016 hardly worn 116710 BLNR full UK set at pretty much rrp. OR an early 1980's full complete set original mk1 matte dial 16750 with Rolex UK service from January 2017 where it had a full movement overhaul and a sympathetic case refinish for only a grand more.

Really unsure where to put my money, I think I prefer the modern BLNR but my heart is with the Neo Vintage 16750!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    16750. Much cooler. Rarer. Lighter and more comfortable to wear. A lot more collectible.

Craftsman
    The 16750 matte full set is the better buy will soon be £10k as a full set

Craftsman
    16750 - Full sets are getting harder to find and the BLNR will be around for a few more years, so you can always get one in the future if you change your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Personally I prefer new Rolexes to wear, but as you're asking "where to put your money" I'm guessing that resale is a strong consideration. Give this and your clear emotional preference for trying a 16750 then the answer seems to be clear....16750.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    16750 if it's in good condition. They're harder to find than the blnr which will be around for a while yet.

Buy the Blnr and pass the 16750 contact details to me please..

Another vote for the matte dial 16750. Any photos?

Yep another vote for the 16750 if it is a good one. Follow your heart.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

16750 has my vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the early 80s stuff personally my money goes there every time. My ultimate grail is from 1983

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    16750. No brainer given the service etc.

Master
    You should consider the overall picture. The 2016 BLNR will have some 4 years of Rolex warranty and should not require any attention/money spending in that time.
    It is impossible to predict which would be worth more in the future, but either should prove to be a reasonable investment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Depends if you want a watch you like or an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Depends if you want a watch you like or an investment.
    Bit of both?!

I bought a blnr for that reason. I don't like Pepsis (sounds like a disease!).

I prefer the dimensions of the older GMT and the brushed centre links on the oyster but I would say that, as a relative novice, when the wait is finally over and I go to the AD and pick up my brand new BLNR I will know that the watch is 100% genuine and authentic and it hasn't been overpolished etc. The same can not be said of an older GMT. Fine if you are an expert but if you are a novice like me it may be a consideration. Both great watches IMO.

Apprentice
    Another vote for the 16750 and especially as in your heart that's what you want

Master
    Am I allowed to say - 16710? It's got the more wearable case size of the older watch, but the quickset hour hand of the later model - better for travel - with a 120-click bezel, so that you can also use it for timing things. A better combination all-round, even if the matte dial and acrylic would be a very desirable combo...
    Last edited by HappyJack; 15th April 2017 at 11:20.

Master
    get the rarest i guess. I see a BLNR a couple times a month. To common for me to enjoy especially when a 16750 is on the cards!!!

BLNR's seem to be turning up on every other incoming post at the moment, they must be easier to get hold of (even in AD windows apparently)

The market will be awash with them soon so buy the watch you prefer

16750!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If I was going after the BLNR and paying full price, I'd rather get on a waiting list and hold out for a new one. I find that's part of the fun.

My personal choice would be the BLNR and is definitely the next one for me.

The 16750 does sound like a good find though.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Am I allowed to say - 16710? It's got the more wearable case size of the older watch, but the quickset hour hand of the later model - better for travel - with a 120-click bezel, so that you can also use it for timing things. A better combination all-round, even if the matte dial and acrylic would be a very desirable combo...
    Those are very sweet, indeed. Although I personally wear my matte/acrylic GMT more than my 16710 because I prefer its looks, I think that the sapphire version is the best all-around watch that Rolex has ever produced, and its 3185 movement is superb. Plus they aren't making any more of either model, obviously.

The ceramic GMT IIs don't do much for me, unfortunately; they've lost the charm of the earlier ones.

Master

Another one for the 16750

If it's putting your money somewhere then the 16750 already has a proven track record and is collectible in its own right and not because it's the latest kid on the block?! I do appreciate the BLNR but whether it stands to be a future classic will depend on how many are produced and how many are saved whole however the 16750 full set is already rare?!?

Get the 16750 and buy the BLNR later if the finances dictate?!? Ive missed out on so many full set vintage Rolex that are now beyond me or just too much to bear in terms of value to watch ratio?!?! I'd always say go for it now especially if you are going to hang onto it for any period of time??

Chris

Craftsman
    Go modern...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It is a nice watch but I have a feeling this will be heading out of the door soon and a 16750 may be on the hit list so I understand where you are coming from. I have done the ceramics and now I am going to the five digits as I prefer the case shape.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Congratulations.
    Is there a definitive list of what constitutes a full set for a 16750?

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Congratulations.
    Is there a definitive list of what constitutes a full set for a 16750?
    Not really, simply because some dealers did not bother with somethings, however I would guess at

tags (green and red)
    Warranty book/ Calendar card and plastic wallet
    papers (they should be punched with the serial number)
    My Rolex Booklet (these are dated in most instances)
    My GMT booklet (also dated)
    case Sticker (if you are really lucky an usually stuck on the papers)
    inner box - depends on where it was sold, but either Buktor or 68,00.01
    outer box - MATT dial will be a Moon Box.
    Service papers

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Not really, simply because some dealers did not bother with somethings, however I would guess at

tags (green and red)
    Warranty book/ Calendar card and plastic wallet
    papers (they should be punched with the serial number)
    My Rolex Booklet (these are dated in most instances)
    My GMT booklet (also dated)
    case Sticker (if you are really lucky an usually stuck on the papers)
    inner box - depends on where it was sold, but either Buktor or 68,00.01
    outer box - MATT dial will be a Moon Box.
    Service papers
    Thanks Andy, that's really useful info.

Quick update,

The 16750 is perfect, original dial, original insert with replacement hands, not too polished and nicely, not over worn bracelet dated the same as the watch. Sadly its not quite as complete as I was first led to believe! It has original pushed papers and a Rolex service in January of this year. But thats about it! The box and cardboard box is from the 90's, there is no booklets, not tags or swing tickets no wallet. Not a complete set as I was led to believe at all. Now its nearly £8000 for this watch which with a full set I was prepared to have a go at but now this has come to light I don't think its worth it tbh! It will never be a full set if I go about finding period box and booklets and tags.

So for now it looks like I am still on the search for a brother for the 1675!! Have had an offer of a trade for a GMT IIc for my 114060 which is looking more and more tempting by the day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    16750. Much cooler. Rarer. Lighter and more comfortable to wear. A lot more collectible.
    This!

Master
    Replacement hands is where I'd be turned off. 8k for a Matt with papers isn't to shabby. Replacement 24hr hand I can live with but I can't live with the others being off colour. Touch wood I never have to change mine

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Quick update,

The 16750 is perfect, original dial, original insert with replacement hands, not too polished and nicely, not over worn bracelet dated the same as the watch. Sadly its not quite as complete as I was first led to believe! It has original pushed papers and a Rolex service in January of this year. But thats about it! The box and cardboard box is from the 90's, there is no booklets, not tags or swing tickets no wallet. Not a complete set as I was led to believe at all. Now its nearly £8000 for this watch which with a full set I was prepared to have a go at but now this has come to light I don't think its worth it tbh! It will never be a full set if I go about finding period box and booklets and tags.

So for now it looks like I am still on the search for a brother for the 1675!! Have had an offer of a trade for a GMT IIc for my 114060 which is looking more and more tempting by the day.

I've been looking at the availability of 16710's and 16750's for some time now with a view to purchasing one in the near future and have concluded that unless you have useful contacts in the watch trade or are just plain lucky, it's difficult enough to find a straight 16750 even without all of the boxes, books and tags etc.

Given the increasing rarity of nice 16750's, isn't it more important to find one that's not had it's lugs polished to death, has matching hands and dial, ideally has some service history and an element of provenance can be provided?

Clearly full sets are commanding a premium and will continue to in the future and if you are looking at this partly as an investment, then I understand your reasoning.

I would much prefer to find a full set and ultimately, anything is available at the right price and that acquiring a full set is the most desirable outcome, but wonder how realistic this is anymore.

Old man picked up a blnr yesterday. Under a week from speaking to the dealer to having it on his wrist. It's a lovely thing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Old man picked up a blnr yesterday. Under a week from speaking to the dealer to having it on his wrist. It's a lovely thing.
    Was he a previous customer at that AD?

Craftsman
    There's been a lot of mentions of short lead times on these recently.

Did Rolex turn up the taps?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Was he a previous customer at that AD?
    No, first time

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    its just hype generated from places like here. Saw 2 today at a car show at Wilton house Salisbury along side 2 ceramic subs, 1 great white and 1 16750 (mine). Only Rolex pieces i noticed anyway. Dont get me started on the cars! some stunning motors

Master
    First day on for mine. Loving it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app