closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Works at Home (Hue questions???)**Plus suggestions**

Blog Entries

Works at Home (Hue questions???)**Plus suggestions**

Works are progressing well at home and now working through first fix ideas and lighting.

As far as the kitchen is concerned I am thinking Hue LED strips under wall units and at plinth level. I am right in thinking I can wire theses conventionally of a lighting circuit to switch on and off as I would any other lighting but once powered/turned on I can control brightness, colour etc??

I just don't want these plus others only being switched via the app.

Thoughts would be appreciated

Many thanks

Paul
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 22nd May 2017 at 20:34.

Master
    Yes that's right, although bear in mind they will 'remember' what colour they were last on when you switch them back on using the conventional wall switch. I built a lightstrip into our loft shower and it's turned on & off individually via the wall switch; but on the app it's twinned with a HUE GU10 downlighter which is also in the en-suite:

Blog Entries
    That's great and many thanks makes sense.

Paul

Master
    Not strictly true. The led strips plug into a domestic 13A socket, you would need your electrician to wire dedicated sockets back to the desired switches. I also suspect that any switches controlling the sockets may need to be separate to switches for "normal" lights.

Blog Entries
    Cheers CM. these are in a new kitchen extension so they will be hard wired.

Any deals been seen out there as I will require approx 15m's.........

Master
    Pitch, also checking that you know that if you switch them via standard wall socket that they won't respond to the app when turned off via the switch?

Philips do a wireless switch now that might be more suitable. http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/8718696...-dimmer-switch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Not strictly true. The led strips plug into a domestic 13A socket, you would need your electrician to wire dedicated sockets back to the desired switches. I also suspect that any switches controlling the sockets may need to be separate to switches for "normal" lights.
    Yes of course it obviously then needs to be wired to the switch!

Pitch, also checking that you know that if you switch them via standard wall socket that they won't respond to the app when turned off via the switch?

Philips do a wireless switch now that might be more suitable. http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/8718696...-dimmer-switch
    These are great. We've one in the lounge which all the floor & table lamps are connected to - got it because the Mrs. was getting fed up with the Philips app. Only down-side is that it can only be programmed with one light recipe so you still need to revert to the app if you want to change the colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Any deals been seen out there as I will require approx 15m's.........
    Just be aware when ordering that there's a second Gen of the lightstrips (brighter whites I think than the 1st Gen?)
    Last edited by gcleminson; 9th April 2017 at 10:58.

Ah you hero!

My mrs is so anti-Hue as she 'won't use an app' so I had to take all mine out the other day. The switch will mean I can put them back (silly I know, but she just won't use the app for some daft reason)

Blog Entries
    so if I had in the kitchen say ....

- three hue pendents
    - face GU10's
    - LED strips to plinths
    - LED strips wall units

with switching the four sets separately, not all the bulbs independently, would I need four separate wall switches?? I guessing also that I can bank various bulbs together.

Ta
    Pitch

Master
    don't know, dont use one.

google says it can be used to select various scenes from the hue app.

https://www.howtogeek.com/244803/how...h-your-lights/

you need to stop thinking about them as individual lights and more about what various activities need light wise and these become the scenes.

hth

Blog Entries
    Just trying something.

Move on please

Blog Entries
    Hue is going off the boil....

What other suggestions to control the lighting in the kitchen. They need to be a mix of GU10's, pendant fittings (nice looking elements) and LED strips.

App tweaked would be nice.

Ta chaps

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Hue is going off the boil....

What other suggestions to control the lighting in the kitchen. They need to be a mix of GU10's, pendant fittings (nice looking elements) and LED strips.

App tweaked would be nice.

Ta chaps
    I would suggest getting what you want and fitting Fibaro switch/dimmers for the control, It would need a hub to control it, this way you dont have to 'buy in' to any closed system like Hue,

use normal bulbs/led strips and control at the switch, needs a little electrical know how, but lots of vids on youtube

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fibaro-FGD-.../dp/B012X0I8JY

Master
    i really think you should go with Amazon Echo and add voice control. No point in stopping half way and you can all leave your phones in your pockets.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    i really think you should go with Amazon Echo and add voice control. No point in stopping half way and you can all leave your phones in your pockets.
    I second this, I use Alexa to turn on my living room lights/TV/amp/virgin box from my bed, I walk downstairs and its all on, when I leave the house everything switches off.

just brilliant