closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Unexpected incoming!! Hamilton W10 1973

Unexpected incoming!! Hamilton W10 1973

I have found myself the proud owner of a beautiful Hamilton W10.

The story is my late father-in-law bought this a few years ago and it was a watch of his I have always coveted and complimented him on. We had many discussions over what it may have seen or been part of.

Sadly 3 weeks ago at the age of only 52 he passed away suddenly in his sleep after going bed feeling a bit unwell. Turns out he had an undiagnosed heart condition. Now all the mayhem has settled down his wife has started the arduous task of sorting through his possessions. He was a bit of a watch collector and Christine has asked me if I'd mind looking at a few that she believes are worth a bit of money. He has loads of cheap watches that he used to sell on the markets but I may well be listing some beauties in the coming weeks.

Today she came round with a selection of 9 carat gold dress watches, including Omega, Oris, Longines, Certina etc etc...

She also produced THE Hamilton that I had always coveted....... AND gave it to me!!

I was amazed. Its such a bitter sweet thing but it is a watch I will truly love wearing.

It arrived on a worn out 16mm NATO which could be the original but I have swapped it for a 20mm TF NATO which I think looks amazing. By the look of it a Tissot crown has been used instead of the original. I will have a look for an original crown soon.

I have done a bit of research on the watch but if anyone can give me any more details it would be greatly received.

Thanks

Craftsman
    Great looking watch - there's a informative discussion about these with a comprehensive list of distribution numbers and code variations over at MWR
    I've a Hamilton Geneve 6BB from 1975, and love it. They provide an affordable entrance in Mil-watch ownership, and it's a very wearable watch that looks equally as smart when dressed up or dress down.

Thanks, that link is great.

Congratulations, you need to source some correct hands as they're not original ones. Other than that it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by lewismark View Post
    Congratulations, you need to source some correct hands as they're not original ones. Other than that it looks good.
    There are two bits of standard watch forum advice:

1 as far as is possible, all parts of a watch should be original
    2 that an inherited watch should be kept in the state it was in when received, and not restored, so as to keep it as a record of the experiences of the previous owner

Obviously, you can't follow both of these bits of advice to the full. In this particular instance, which would take precedence?

So thats hands and crown are replaced that are not original. But do you know what, after wearing it yesterday I have a feeling that I may keep it just the way it is, quirks and all.

Thanks for the info.

I could be wrong but the hands fitted to yours look like IWC WWW hands, if so they'd be worth more than the watch.

It's lovely and also unique. FWIW If it was mine I wouldn't touch anything on it. My sympathies for your loss.

Lovely watch and good decision to leave it as is, quirks and all, nothing distracting there to want to change.