closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sonicare toothbrush.

Master
    Blog Entries

Sonicare toothbrush.

My dentist has recommended one of these, are they really that much better than an Oral B?

Craftsman
    I am also very interested in replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I don't think they differ that much result-wise.
    I believe the Sonicare has a smaller brush and it's not as loud as Oral B.

We upgraded our Oral B to a triumph version recently- far better results than the standard ones, I can't believe anything could be much better. I also vaguely seem to recall sonicare fares no better than Braun in independent tests either but I might be out of date

Master
    We all have them and I think they are pretty good- shop around

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jounetsu View Post
    We upgraded our Oral B to a triumph version recently- far better results than the standard ones, I can't believe anything could be much better. I also vaguely seem to recall sonicare fares no better than Braun in independent tests either but I might be out of date
    Forgot to add that if you buy an electric toothbrush Oral B or Sonicare, buy the best model available.
    They are more expensive but the results are also much better.

Wife and I've been using Sonicare for 5 or 6 years now.

Not used Oral B so can't compare, but almost eliminated my staining and plaque build up, and I drink a lot of black tea.

They revolutionised my dental hygiene, as before that I would needed some significant and frequent scale and polish treatments.

18 month warranty with every brush and their returns policy is brilliant and no quibble.

I'm/wifey's on our 4th or 5th free brush as all previous have just failed inside warranty (which used to be 2 years). This week wifey's has just failed outside warranty, but now she's sharing my handle (fnarr, fnarr).

So, great brush, but in my experience are designed to fail on expiration of warranty. We've been lucky as our have always failed just before

Two different brushes for two different types of brushing.

Oral B, small round head, best used to sort of polish tooth by tooth, cheap model just has one speed and beeps every 30 seconds, more expensive models have things you really don't need, Bluetooth to phone to record brushing, light that shines if you push to hard, different speeds for softer brushing.

Sonicare, designed to be used more like a normal brush, more expensive models do same but posher charger and things like that.

50% of dentist recommend Oral B, 50% Sonicare,

Me? I can buy oral B at a discount through a dental practice every now and then but I usually just buy an Oral B basic from Amazon. I feel I get the best result by using a small head on tooth by tooth. Wife has a sonicare.

Here's what I have. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oral-B-Elec...eywords=Oral+b

Craftsman
    I've owned both. And they are both good but the Phillips is much better.
    The actual clean is much more thorough, the battery life in between charges a 1000 times better and the battery has lasted 3 years and still holds a charge for a week. The oral b battery is horrendous in the end I had to leave it permanently on charge. Also the travel case/charger is great and the fact you can plug into a USB like a iPhone plug another great feature. The oral b only has one way of charging an that is via a plug so you will need to take the dirty base/charger with you on holiday. The Phillips is also water repellent so easy to keep clean.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Plenty of people clean their teeth worse with an electric toothbrush than with a manual one. Personally I only recommend them to patients who are so hopeless with a manual toothbrush that I consider there's nothing to lose. I probably recommend an equal number of patients using an electric tbrush to try a manual one for that same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Forgot to add that if you buy an electric toothbrush Oral B or Sonicare, buy the best model available.
    They are more expensive but the results are also much better.
    I think this is wrong, buying the top model gets you get a load of features that don't make any difference to how well it actually cleans your teeth. The results are not any better.

I don't need it to connect to my phone or have an LCD with a smiley face and 100 brushing modes. We get the model which shares a motor and therefore the most important attribute, speed of oscillation, with the top model but which does not have those features we don't value. This is typically a £50-70 model, rather than £120-£200 for the 'top' model.

On the other hand we have found it is worth paying the exorbitant prices for Philips brush heads. If only a third party made decent brush heads, the ones we've tried have been junk, they fell off the body in use.

We've also found that Philips last better than Oral-b.
    Last edited by ernestrome; 1st April 2017 at 22:01.

I have one and they are good - no idea if better than Oral B but are good & the travel case is nice to have.

Only buy on special offer as mine was 250 down to 125 and they seem to regularly be half price.

Journeyman
    Have switched to Sonicare from Oral-B. I think it does the job better.
    Apart from the fact that you can't see what mode you have selected when using it! Changing the mode once you have applied toothpaste and before putting in you mouth results in a flurry of toothpaste all over the bathroom!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Plenty of people clean their teeth worse with an electric toothbrush than with a manual one. Personally I only recommend them to patients who are so hopeless with a manual toothbrush that I consider there's nothing to lose. I probably recommend an equal number of patients using an electric tbrush to try a manual one for that same reason.
    if you are a dentist then i guess you are in the minority. Every dentist that I've ever seen recommends an electric toothbrush. Used a Sonicare for years and always get complimented by the hygienist- anyone can get better results from an electric brush

Moved to Sonicare from Oral B as much for the battery life as any previously held conviction. My last Oral B lasted a couple of months before the battery slowed down and needed a charge every few days. My Sonicare Diamondhead (or whatever) lasts two weeks at least. I prefer the action of the Sonicare now I've tried one. I got mine through an Amazon deal.
    Isn't the point that the brush you use most is the best brush?

Craftsman
    I also moved to Sonicare from Oral B and prefer the cleaning motion of it. The battery life is good and can easily last over a week, even with two people using it daily.

My previous Sonicare stopped charging after 18 months but I was able to send it back to Philips under the warranty and they replaced with a new one hassle free!

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    if you are a dentist then i guess you are in the minority. Every dentist that I've ever seen recommends an electric toothbrush. Used a Sonicare for years and always get complimented by the hygienist- anyone can get better results from an electric brush
    My dental practice sell electric tooth brushes, so no wonder they promote them. In fact, my dentist recommended the Oral B brand specifically, coincidentally (intended) the brand they sell.

I bought one...

Sonicare for me, now on my second one. Great results. Even my son doesnt mind using it as the in mouth experience is better

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers for the info, will keep my eye out for a decent deal on one.

Used sonicare for years after having an oralB. I personally find the sonicare is superior to the oralB. Buy the cheapest model as you don't really need all the features, the heads are expensive but I tend to bulk buy when they are on offer in tesco / boots / amazon

Sonicare all the way for me.....great battery life and change the brush heads every 4 months or so......

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I've had two oralB's and just over a month ago picked up the Sonicare and it's already made a difference for the better.

Recently changed to sonicare from Oral B as well. Smaller head so easier to get to back teeth and feels a tad more gentle on gums although if you catch the back of the brush head on your other teeth it don't half vibrate!

I asked my dentist and he thought they were both good, just different tech

Don't pay full price though, half price nit too bad but some of the top models at full price are ridiculous

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sonicare - USB charge is great when I travel, just plop into the travel case and plug it into my laptop!

On the odd occasion where I forget to charge it and have to use a real toothbrush, my teeth feel yuk!!!

Got mine BNIB from fleabay for half the price!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    I asked my dentist and he thought they were both good, just different tech

This. We've used OralB for years, but I'd bet Sonicare does just as good a job, and vice versa. Either way electric is far superior to manual.
    F.T.F.A.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I've used both for few years now and to be honest I had better results with my Phillips Sonicare. Although I now only use it twice a week due to now having sensitive teeth! Not sure if this is as a result of the toothbrushes? In the meantime I use a Colgate C150 which works well too.

I've had top models of each and really rate the Sonicare range. I now have no issues with plaque or staining and it lasts for ages. I couldn't bond with the Oral B at all - it felt agricultural compared to Sonicare, I gave it away.

Master
    I had a Sonicare but my periodontist recommended I change to an Oral B as he felt they would suit me better, he didn't sell either.

I'm happy with the Braun and bought one for my wife when her Sonicare finally gave up. She didn't get on with the Braun at all and reverted to a Sonicare so I guess it's a matter of whatever suits you.

I think they they are equally as good.

Master

Sonicare toothbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    I've used both for few years now and to be honest I had better results with my Phillips Sonicare. Although I now only use it twice a week due to now having sensitive teeth! Not sure if this is as a result of the toothbrushes? In the meantime I use a Colgate C150 which works well too.
    I have a Braun oral-B which is three years old and still holds a weeks charge, I always run it flat before fully recharging.

The thread hasn't touched on which toothpaste anyone is using, surly this is a contributing factor to how well the brush is cleaning and the final result?

We always use Colgate at the moment it's the 'Total extra whitening' version, can't say my teeth are any whiter though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dizz; 16th April 2017 at 10:37.

Always Sensodyne here, but it's damned expensive.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Are you trying to drum up business :D

I switched from an Oral B to a Sonicare toothbrush 5 years ago, during that time I had lots of telling off by the. Dentist for plaque build up & lack of flossing (even though I was).

Last year I bought a new Oral B with all the bells & whistles for almost nothing in Oz ($400AU down to $65AUD in a table sale :-)).

Since then no comments at all from the Dentist, it's easy to do the full 2 minutes with the fancy countdown timer app on the phone too(and switch to extra tough mode 'on the fly' for front teeth if I've had too much tea).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tesco are selling off a lot of their sonicare stock if people are interested.

Craftsman
    Use Oral B, had it for years, on the charger when not in use, never had a problem, vibrates when 2 minutes are up.

My dentist said I used an electric toothbrush without asking, as she said I didn't need to see the hygienist as my electric was doing the job.

I was given a Sonicare Diamond Clean as a gift for my birthday in March. I had a check up at the dentist yesterday and she commented that the toothbrush was certainly doing a good job. I didn't have to get a clean/polish etc as there wasn't any plaque to remove.

I've definitely found it to be better than previous toothbrushes. It also helps that I didn't have to pay the £150 it costs (rrp is actually £300 but most places have it at the reduced price)!

It's just another way to vastly increase the cost of your everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    It's just another way to vastly increase the cost of your everyday life.
    What this particular toothbrush or electric toothbrushes in common? If the later then I too thought this until we got an oral b a few years ago, just makes brushing, especially the back of the teeth so much easier and teeth feel smooth and clean.

Sonicare don't actually clean your teeth very well. I've got one and an Oral b and my dentist tells me to use use one in the morning and the other at night. The oral b certainly makes my teeth feel cleaner.

Master
    I've used them all and for me the Oral B brushes are the best - I am currently using the one with a separate timer and this one also has vibrations as well as rotation - the best of all worlds. I've never had an Oral B handle last less than 4 or 5 years so quality hasn't been an issue.

And for those with Oral B toothbrushes, don't throw it away when the battery no longer holds a charge. Despite Braun stating that they cannot be user replaced it isn't that difficult to change the battery and, if you cut the spring a bit, you can install a standard AA rechargeable battery.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I've used them all and for me the Oral B brushes are the best - I am currently using the one with a separate timer and this one also has vibrations as well as rotation - the best of all worlds. I've never had an Oral B handle last less than 4 or 5 years so quality hasn't been an issue.
    I've had three and the battery life on each has been pretty poor. None has gone over the year before the battery started weakening, and since my charging point is in the kitchen and my bathroom is at the other end of the house it's a nuisance. It's so often dead when I came to use it. When a Sonicare came up on a very good Amazon deal (there were two yesterday) I bought one and I like it.

Craftsman
    i've got one, very satisfied - keeps my teeth much cleaner

Master
    Not sure if this helps but Asda have some on offer

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Not sure if this helps but Asda have some on offer
    Wow! That is a good deal I think. Still more than happy with mine - especially since buying the proper heads rather imitations of Amazon!

Amazon have the EasyClean HX6511/50 on their deal of the day today, for £29.99. I paid £20 more for mine a few weeks back.

Cheers,
    Gary

Hi guys,

When I was at a dental conference, I asked the Sonicare rep if there was a difference in the motor used to power the top end and the base model brushes - she told me they were the same.
    Personally I prefer soniccare but I use an Oral-B personally as I can't be bothered sending off the sonicare for repair. It reliable breaks every 12 months or so.

If someone's serious, I could look into what prices I could get them for with the proviso that I don't have to deal with the issue if one breaks (and the buyer goes directly to the manufacturer) but it might be pence you're saving compared to amazon etc

The top end have more modes don't they?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Five or six. I bought a top-end Diamondhead thingie on an Amazon sale. I've no idea if the other modes do anything meaningful but the brush itself cleans very well. And the two-week battery life is refreshing after Oral B, which lacks in that department.