closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: first luxury watch advice

Craftsman

first luxury watch advice

right, so after many months of lurking on the TZ forums and lusting at wrist shots, i've decided it is time to take my first step into the world of luxury watches.

i've managed to narrow my choices down to 2 watches. the explorer I 39mm with 369 lume for its sheer understated beauty, or the BLNR (i was at a conference a few weeks ago and a colleague was wearing one and it caught my eye and have been lusting over it ever since)

so now begins my journey on how to narrow the 2 choices down to 1 and where to source from. I was hoping you lovely TZers would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

To be able to make my final decision, I'll obviously have to try both of the watches on and having been reading various forums, I know that is not going to be easy with the availability of SS rolex models in the UK, and even more so as I live in London. My chances of walking into an AD and asking to try on the watches are probably slim for the explorer and impossible for the BLNR. I'm more likely to be laughed at enquiring about the BLNR at any ADs in London, particularly as I don't have a previous relationship with any of them.

Would my best possible chance to get either be grey or pre-owned? I see that places like chronext, watchmaster and watchfinder all have them available. Have any of you bought from these places before and what was the sales process/after sales service like? Are there any other greys you would recommend? I see that grey BLNR prices are at a premium to list and if I do choose to get it, I would like to be able to do it on interest free finance. So far, the only grey/pre-owned place that I've found that offers the option is watchfinder, are there any others about?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out

Master
    Before you go any further I would try them out on your wrist, I was set on the Explorer and then tried it on my wrist. I am glad that I did not buy blindly as it just looked and felt wrong on my wrist. I have used watch finder for over 10 years and have had no issues. Not used the other so can not comment on them. As for the BLNR, get you self on a list. I would not pay over retail for this one. I have had quite a few of these in the last 6 months traded my last one a few weeks ago and passed 3 on to other forum members.

Master
    [
    Go to Watchfinder and try them both on, call first and make an appointment to see both together. Then make a decision, Chronext usually have the best prices on unworn.

I wouldn't pay over list for the BLNR if I were you. Call a few AD's (outside London) and get your name down for one as the wait might not be too long.

Craftsman
    As above, if you want to buy new then I'd suggest using watchfinder solely to try the watches on and then once you've made a decision you can get yourself on a waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    I wouldn't pay over list for the BLNR if I were you. Call a few AD's (outside London) and get your name down for one as the wait might not be too long.
    I have been on waiting lists in AD's in Bournemouth, Bristol, Swindon and Exeter for 6 months (Hulk/BLNR) with no luck so there may be a Long wait

Most AD's are estimating 6-12months that I have spoken to

Craftsman
    Thanks for the response guys, i guess I'll get myself to a watchfinder and try some on. In terms of calling around ADs to be put on lists, are there any recommended ones or is it simply a case of working my way down the list of dealers on the rolex website?

And finally, is there any differences between BLNR throughout the years? Some grey/pre-owned dealers have them at slightly different prices depending on year

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Watchfinder in Canary Wharf have both in so if it is not too far out of your way just head there and try on. No appointment unnecessary unless you want to confirm that both are available to view.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've had both and only the BLNR survived but do try both as they are quite different with the Explorer probably being a little more comfortable and also more inconspicuous.

I found the explorer a bit boring and the blnr a bit bling- no pleasing some people! For a one watch solution it would be the Explorer, though

Went for the Explorer 1 and love it - pretty perfect in fact.
    BLNR also looks good but I just can't stand PCLs.
    Just my personal opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post
    right, so after many months of lurking on the TZ forums and lusting at wrist shots, i've decided it is time to take my first step into the world of luxury watches.

i've managed to narrow my choices down to 2 watches. the explorer I 39mm with 369 lume for its sheer understated beauty, or the BLNR (i was at a conference a few weeks ago and a colleague was wearing one and it caught my eye and have been lusting over it ever since)

so now begins my journey on how to narrow the 2 choices down to 1 and where to source from. I was hoping you lovely TZers would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

To be able to make my final decision, I'll obviously have to try both of the watches on and having been reading various forums, I know that is not going to be easy with the availability of SS rolex models in the UK, and even more so as I live in London. My chances of walking into an AD and asking to try on the watches are probably slim for the explorer and impossible for the BLNR. I'm more likely to be laughed at enquiring about the BLNR at any ADs in London, particularly as I don't have a previous relationship with any of them.

Would my best possible chance to get either be grey or pre-owned? I see that places like chronext, watchmaster and watchfinder all have them available. Have any of you bought from these places before and what was the sales process/after sales service like? Are there any other greys you would recommend? I see that grey BLNR prices are at a premium to list and if I do choose to get it, I would like to be able to do it on interest free finance. So far, the only grey/pre-owned place that I've found that offers the option is watchfinder, are there any others about?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out
    Explorer gets my vote FWIW. I personally would go second hand, then it's not going to hurt so much when you decide to flip it for the BLNR :p

I personally find the EXP very underwhelming yet it does have a big following.

The BLNR on the other hand is a stunningly attractive watch I think.

I'd go BLNR all day long, but finding one will be tough. Did in there and be prepared to travel and you'll find one. Good luck

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    I personally find the EXP very underwhelming yet it does have a big following.

The BLNR on the other hand is a stunningly attractive watch I think.

I'd go BLNR all day long, but finding one will be tough. Did in there and be prepared to travel and you'll find one. Good luck
    I love my BLNR, as yet unworn, keeping for special occasions. I wear a polar EXP2 for everyday and IMHO it is a stunning watch.

Craftsman
    I've always liked the explorer i for its understated brilliance and it has been exactly what i wanted for a while, a rolex that doesn't shout look at me and that has always been choice 1. Choice 2 has changed a few times between the blue yachtmaster and platinum yachtmaster but ive now decided they are not for me. The BLNR hadn't even been on my radar until a few weeks ago at the conference when my colleague let me try on his and I instantly fell in love with it, although I was pretty drunk at the time.

I think I need to try both on to be able to make a final decision. This is probably going to be my only watch purchase for the foreseeable future so I would want to go new and have my name on the warranty card

Craftsman
    Made my choice and it just so happened that a london AD had just taken delivery of one a few days ago. So I took a day off work and went to pick it up. It is now on my wrist where it belongs. So happy with the purchase

Very nice sir, congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    My favourite watch ever (one day I'll get one) congrats

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Understated and classy. Nice

Very nice. Great feeling isn't it! Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

The perfect one watch watch! Looks great on you, enjoy.

Wear it in good health

Craftsman
    Great choice. Understated elegance indeed.

Congratulations!

The Explorer is a great choice. Sans cyclops and the bling PCL (why, oh why, on a tool-watch?).

Journeyman
    That really is fantastic. A great entry into luxury watches!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks all, I'm loving it so far. i did ask for a discount but the guy said not a chance on SS sport models.

Gonna get insurance sorted for it this weekend so I can enjoy it with a peace of mind

Craftsman
    Good choice on both watches.
    Hope you get enjoyment for many years from your Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post
    Made my choice and it just so happened that a london AD had just taken delivery of one a few days ago. So I took a day off work and went to pick it up. It is now on my wrist where it belongs. So happy with the purchase

Well done. It's looks great. Nice fit otw too it seems.

This thread epitomises all the good on this forum.

Hope you enjoy your new piece.

Jim