closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any tips for removing fat shoulder-less spring bars?

Any tips for removing fat shoulder-less spring bars?

I have an SKX007 that arrived on super-fat shoulder-less bars. I want to remove the bracelet and replace the bars with useable super-fat bars with shoulders but can I hell get these out! Exactly why I never use them other than with drilled lugs.

In the past I've just dug and dug with the tool until I've got to them and have snapped forked-ends.

Before I do that digging and snapping exercise does anyone have any tips for getting these out so I can throw these Mo' Fo's in the bin?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I have an SKX007 that arrived on super-fat shoulder-less bars. I want to remove the bracelet and replace the bars with useable super-fat bars with shoulders but can I hell get these out! Exactly why I never use them other than with drilled lugs.

In the past I've just dug and dug with the tool until I've got to them and have snapped forked-ends.

Before I do that digging and snapping exercise does anyone have any tips for getting these out so I can throw these Mo' Fo's in the bin?

Cheers.
    If you don't mind destruction of the bars you are taking out? In the past I have used a pair of wire cutters in the middle of the springbar to crush the bar and then used two pairs of flat pliers on either side of the crush rotated in opposite directions to pull the ends out from the case.
    If you get stuck or that does not make sense PM me and I'll try do some pictures to show what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    If you don't mind destruction of the bars you are taking out? In the past I have used a pair of wire cutters in the middle of the springbar to crush the bar and then used two pairs of flat pliers on either side of the crush rotated in opposite directions to pull the ends out from the case.
    If you get stuck or that does not make sense PM me and I'll try do some pictures to show what I mean
    Thanks but I can't access the middle of the bars as the bracelet's on the watch. Only part of the bars showing are the ends.

I've always used a small flat ended screw driver on Seiko fatties as opposed to a normal springbar tool, never had much trouble.

Thanks but I can't access the middle of the bars as the bracelet's on the watch. Only part of the bars showing are the ends.
    Crap! That probably won't be easy
    Last edited by animalone; 30th March 2017 at 20:13.

Master
    I've always found a thin bladed knife works best. Slide it down parallel with the lug and twist. Just watch your fingers and don't try it after a few drinks like I once did.

These get the bolt croppers and replaced with something more sensible. Don't break things trying to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    These get the bolt croppers and replaced with something more sensible.
    Best springbars around Seiko Fatties

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    Best springbars around Seiko Fatties
    The ones with shoulders are Ant but these are an f'ing disaster.

Master

Any tips for removing fat shoulder-less spring bars?

Have you tried a Stanley knife blade? might bite into the spring bar a bit better being sharp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Matt68; 30th March 2017 at 21:18.

Flangeless spring bars in blind lug holes? Just use some side cutters: job done.

Edit:

Look up "precision wire cutters" if clearance is tight.

Last edited by Belligero; 30th March 2017 at 21:22.

Seriously this is unreal. My hands are sweaty and my neck hurts but these f*ckers are just laughing at me.

You're screwed, I'd say. Shoulderless spring bars, bracelets and blind lug holes do not play nicely together. Unfortunate situation. Good luck!

Master
    Seriously this is unreal. My hands are sweaty and my neck hurts but these f*ckers are just laughing at me.
    I would leave it for tonight, the spring bars have won the battle tonight, but not the war, arm yourself with a nice craft knife and have another go tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    You're screwed, I'd say. Shoulderless spring bars, bracelets and blind lug holes do not play nicely together. Unfortunate situation. Good luck!
    I think I'm going to have to give up because these are not going to come out. There's absolutely no movement in them at all. Absolutely ridiculous to have these in a watch without drilled lugs. In all my watch days I've never dealt with anything as frustrating.

Gutted to be restricted to one strap.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 30th March 2017 at 21:35.

Master
    So is the movable part of the spring bar not visible on these shoulderless spring bars then??

In that case, there's no option other than to take a small metal drill bit to the exposed bit of spring bar surely?

FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!

This is dementing.

Master
    You will get it.

Try it again tomorrow - lots of light, magnification if possible, and a different tool if available. It has to be thin enough at the very tip to begin to wedge into the space between springer sleeve end and case, and many spring bar tool tips are too blunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    You will get it.

Try it again tomorrow - lots of light, magnification if possible, and a different tool if available. It has to be thin enough at the very tip to begin to wedge into the space between springer sleeve end and case, and many spring bar tool tips are too blunt.
    Thanks Si. I'm at work all day and these are the only tools I have. It's not just about the space between the bar end and the case though, I can get it there. It's that the final piece of the bar then goes into the hole with nothing at all to get any purchase or to draw it back. These should never ever be used without drilled lugs.

Take note lads.

I just took mine off and back on an SKX, are they the same as this? On the second pic, I just get a firm grip, push a sharp screwdriver against the inner lug and then push inwards, I think it's just a knack from having loads of SKX's over the years.

Yes the same as those. I've been doing that for two hours now and I've got one side off but the other is a nightmare. I'd had problems with these before but never as bad as this.

Plus you're doing it without a bracelet with solid end links attached.

I've done this before once and once only. In the end I had to 'effect a destruction removal' sacrificing the strap. I genuinely don't know how I'd do it with a bracelet but believe me I feel your pain.

If it came to you like this can you return it and make it someone else's problem?

Yes the same as those. I've been doing that for two hours now and I've got one side off but the other is a nightmare. I'd had problems with these before but never as bad as this.

Plus you're doing it without a bracelet with solid end links attached.
    Yeah, tbf this has an old rubber flat vent on.

Right I can't do it so it'll sit in the drawer now. Shine totally gone from the purchase.

Right I can't do it so it'll sit in the drawer now. Shine totally gone from the purchase.
    DAMN!

I saw this post. I assumed you had sorted it out!

Im really "cack-handed...at...? everything"! So I feel your pain!

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    DAMN!

I saw this post. I assumed you had sorted it out!

Im really "cack-handed...at...? everything"! So I feel your pain!
    I've become really competent at a lot of things over the years but this has beaten me.

I've become really competent at a lot of things over the years but this has beaten me.
    I have small hands.....yet everything I touch...I seem to break!
    I can just about change straps... sizing bracelets is beyond me! ("luckily" local guy only charges me a fiver for strap re-sizing.......Probably given him a ton over 18 months though!).

Craftsman
    Epic battle. Look forward to hear when you've won!

Blog Entries
    Haha sorry to hear this David , Liam has well and truly secured that oyster to that 007 ! I have the same problem with a skx I have - I fiitted an endmill bracelet and there is no play to get it out - I've resigned myself that I can't get it off. Although I intend to ... they are a complete tw*t and I do sympathise

Master
    Blog Entries
    See if you can get a loop of dental floss past the shoulder, twist it tight and you may be able move it just enough.

David, I had exactly the same issue on a mini Monster. In the end (and in a fit of rage) I twisted the bracelet until it broke at the point of the spring bar. At the same time, the spring bar buckled and came out. The other side was removed first with 'relative' ease.

A busted and now useless bracelet, but I felt better for myself

Craftsman
    Tiny metal drill bit, tops speed, very little pressure and a bit of patience. Destroy those things!

The tactic of last resort, which won't destroy the strap, is pliers and twist. I've had to do this twice on Seikos. It works.

The seller of this watch has contacted me and offered a refund which is beyond the call of duty in my opinion so I tip my hat to you Liam. While the watch and bracelet remain undamaged I have taken up the offer.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and I hope this thread is useful for future reference.

Master
    I was the seller of the watch which I received back today, needless to say I removed the bracelet without destroying anything. The best spring bars available for this set up in my opinion.

So back up for sale, now sold separately, see Sales Corner...

Those don't look like shoulderless spring bars to me.

Master
    Will David not want it back?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Those don't look like shoulderless spring bars to me.
    In effect, they are. The larger diameter tube slides but moving it will not extract the spring-bar. You have to get behind the end of that inner tube that you see is right up against the lug. There is no shoulder on that tube and that’s the one you need to move. Not a problem with a tool that will fit.

OK, I see.

Craftsman
    When Strapcode ship their bracelets for the SKX they include a set of 2.5mm double flange fatbars for easy removal. Original Seiko fatbars should not be used with a Strapcode SKX bracelet, if you shoot them off an email they will confirm this.

Craftsman
    oh my, these are so annoying. Had this problem before. What fixed it for me was to sharpen a very thin screwdriver to catch the metal and then pry it out.
    Quite a pita. ;)

Master
    The ultimate tool for removing shoulderless spring bars is the thin-bladed jewellers slitting saw which has no set on the teeth so it won't chew into the lugs or the bracelet.
    Drilled lugs made everything so easy, really not sure why they aren't more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Drilled lugs made everything so easy, really not sure why they aren't more popular.
    Not many people swap straps.

But I too lament their absence.