closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Unsophisticated eBay scam

Master

Unsophisticated eBay scam

I contacted a seller on eBay about a car he had for sale he then told me he was selling for a friend who doesn't use eBay and gave me her email saying she would answer any questions, I then emailed her about viewing the car and she replied back with details that were already on the eBay listing.

She then proceeded to say she wasn't in the country at the moment and wanted me to send £4500 to a shipping company that I had never heard of and when they received the money she would instruct them to deliver the car.

Is there really anyone who would fall for this crap ? I have reported it to eBay as fraud but the listing is still up

Old as the hills that one

About 8 years ago I was looking for a car and saw a Golf GTi on Autotrader. I got in touch and got the same spiel. She was a student but had finished her studies and returned to Italy, taking the car with her. If I wanted to buy she would arrange a shipping company to get it to the UK for me as soon as the bank transfer had cleared. Er, ok …

I guess someone falls for this every now and then otherwise these folk wouldn't bother trying

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I had something similar more than once.

Looking for a 911 up to £15k, someone had a 997.1 for £12995, I emailed and got the similar nonsense

Subaru p1 for £6995..... m3 for £4995, modified defenders for £3995......

Pistonheads is full of it

Neighbour's daughter had the same - cheap Fiat 500. Owned by Norwegian pilot and car now in Norway - so I got a Norwegian to write to them in Norwegian and say could pop in and see it that week and even collect the car - of course no reply.

Ebay will probably send them a polite 'warning' message about trying to deal outside of eBay and that will be the end of it ..... ass holes

Master
    Cars still on eBay even after reporting it and now there's another one popped up whith the same mo proberly both being done by the same clown

Craftsman
    I got fooled about 15 years ago, when these nigerean scams were new. Sold sth on ebay and got paid by a fake western union website that showed me the money, which was obviously not there. Got bit more cautious since then. ;)

Lost a Samsung to these scammers a few years back. Received the standard (I thought) email from PayPal so sent the phone. It was some dodgy PO Box down south, but I didn't know this at the time. £250 gone! Since then I've tried to be a bit more vigilant.

In January I saw a cheap 3 series based in Inverness, the seller was moving back to his home country and needed to get rid of it after some time on the rigs. It wasn't too cheap though so seemed legitimate. After a few email exchanges and further pictures I was all ready to book my train ticket until he said something a bit suspicious about cancelling the ad to save fees. I instantly realised it was a scam but until that point everything seemed above board!

BUYERS BEWARE!

People do fall for it and more than you would realise unfortunately.

Someone I know was recently caught in a slightly more sophisticated version for a VW Camper. Lost £6K and was one of many apparently caught in the same scam.

Big money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    The "car is elsewhere but send me the money and I'll get it delivered "scam is a bit long in the tooth now.
    A couple of years ago there was a Austin Healey 3000 on ebay with a buy it now of less then half the going price.
    Thought it a little moody and got in touch.
    The tale was, owner going through a divorce and wanted to sell the car ASAP. Car is at a friends not local to where the seller is at the moment. So viewing is not easy to arrange, but it's such a bargain do not worry. Send the money and he will get the car delivered.
    I reply, I've got a car trailer. I'll come and collect and pay your friend cash (as you obviously trust them as they are looking after your car).
    Strangely enough I never got a reply.