closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seagull ST19 Chronograph

Seagull ST19 Chronograph

Any love for this movement? I'm really fond of it. Partly because of it's Venus 175 and first Chinese Chronograph history but also because they are really cheap and allow folk to enjoy a proper column wheel chronograph for peanuts. These are big fun, big smiles pieces.

Here's mine so lets see yours :-)

Seagull 42mm Panda and Reverse Panda - ST1901

HKED 37mm 'historically correct 1963 dial' editions in cream and black from a WUS project - ST1901

Something curious from Taobao. 39mm with moonphase and date - ST1908

Another Taobao 'mushroom brand' curiosity. 40mm, signed J.Roback with telemetre dial and not at all anti-magnetic - ST1901

It's turning into a bit of a collection within a collection and I'll probably add a few more while I am in China. I should also look for the Precista PRS-5 if I ever see one for sale!
    Last edited by fordy964; 29th March 2017 at 15:44.

Master
    I don't own one but if one of these ever came up I would go for it. I can't remember for sure but I think from when I last researched it's difficult to get one with a display back that doesn't have the star over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    I don't own one but if one of these ever came up I would go for it. I can't remember for sure but I think from when I last researched it's difficult to get one with a display back that doesn't have the star over it?

All of mine have display backs without the star, but then none are actual Seagull 1963's

Journeyman
    I have two, both run great and I have no complaints with them.

I like the 63 more than I thought I would. I'm looking at picking up the two other 63's, the LE put out by Sea Gull and the early one without the red star.

Quote Originally Posted by svaglic View Post
    I have two, both run great and I have no complaints with them.

I like the 63 more than I thought I would. I'm looking at picking up the two other 63's, the LE put out by Sea Gull and the early one without the red star.
    Very cool :-)

I'd forgotten about the HKED Bundeswehr project. I had enquired and then forgot about it. Another to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    . I should also look for the Precista PRS-5 if I ever see one for sale!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132136150644

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeott View Post
    Not my watch I should have said!
    (I saw it because I have a search for Precista watches. I am on the lookout for a PRS-82)

It's not all good.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There's a problem with the ST19, either the mainspring it too strong or the barrel click spring is too weak. There's no way of telling when, if ever, it will fail, it could be after months of use and suddenly the mainspring lets go and you can't develop a power reserve. When it was clear that this was a problem, we got new click springs made and replaced them during assembly of the watches and whilst this reduced the incidence of failure, it didn't eliminate it.

There weren't a huge number which failed but when you have a dozen or so failing with the same problem, it's clear that something is not right. I'm not prepared to continue using this movement as long as the problem exists.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    It's not all good.
    Yes I am aware that some can have issues and so I'll be picking up a few spare movements soon in case. The trick is not to pay a lot for these watches so if they do die, you're not upset, Keep it cheap fun and all is good for me.

I recalled the pusher's feeling..

was kinda soft not that solid and firm.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    was kinda soft not that solid and firm.
    The start/stop pusher has a solid click like any other chronograph but the reset pusher is soft and instant since the hammer lever is already cocked on starting the chronograph on the Venus designs.

Master
    i love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another pair for the mini-collection just in. This time from a Chinese mushroom brand "Sugess" which in the manual claims to be a French brand. Taobao specials. Cool dials though and they both seem to be running really well so far.

ST1901 - White dial

ST1908 - Champagne dial. Rather similar to the Seagull M199S

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    i love them
    Every time. Every time I see one of these I go off researching them, only to remind myself 30 minutes later that my wrists are too small :(

I had an Alpha Daytona homage that I am pretty sure was fitted with an ST19. It ran a bit fast - I sold it to Ian_O and he had it regulated I think.

Bought in a whim as a bit of cheap fun. Oddly, I rather miss it...

I also had a WUS 'Star Trek' Seagull

It ran superbly and kept excellent time

Having recently got back into military and military style watches, I'm on the lookout for a 1963 chronograph. It seems that eBay is not the cheapest place to get one at the moment. Does anyone know which is the best place to buy them?

Am I right in saying that the "Star Trek" logo is more like the originals than the "red star" version? I must confess that I prefer the look of the latter.

Thanks

Dave

The caseback on the 1963 watches look great

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    Having recently got back into military and military style watches, I'm on the lookout for a 1963 chronograph. It seems that eBay is not the cheapest place to get one at the moment. Does anyone know which is the best place to buy them?

Am I right in saying that the "Star Trek" logo is more like the originals than the "red star" version? I must confess that I prefer the look of the latter.

Thanks

Dave
    WatchUnique usually stock the standard 'Red Star' reissue: http://www.watchunique.com/seagull-1963.html

For the more authentic WUS 'Star Trek' version you need to keep an eye on forum sales areas or possibly eBay.

I need to source a donor movement for my standard 1963 after it went pop, but I picked up a WUS version on the interim and greatly prefer it.

The Star Trek version looks the best to me - however, I found the combination of light coloured dial and gold hands difficult to read most of the time.

If we apply Vulcan logic a 1963 seagull comes chronologically before the star trek version,

I've had two of these now – sold one and decided I needed another. Lovely watches…

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    WatchUnique usually stock the standard 'Red Star' reissue: http://www.watchunique.com/seagull-1963.html

For the more authentic WUS 'Star Trek' version you need to keep an eye on forum sales areas or possibly eBay.

I need to source a donor movement for my standard 1963 after it went pop, but I picked up a WUS version on the interim and greatly prefer it.

Thanks for that. The 1963 Airforce chronographs are cheap enough to to buy more than one type.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

The red star on the display back is easily removed with polywatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin63 View Post
    The red star on the display back is easily removed with polywatch.
    Ah, I might just do that, thanks.

I prefer the solid back to the view back.

I think if you contact HKED on WUS you can still get hold of the WUS Star Trek versions. I would also ask him first if I was trying to source a spare movement as he seems to have access to them readily. Worth an ask?

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    I think if you contact HKED on WUS you can still get hold of the WUS Star Trek versions. I would also ask him first if I was trying to source a spare movement as he seems to have access to them readily. Worth an ask?
    Ta for that, I assumed that they had all gone.

Ta for that, I assumed that they had all gone.

So has I! Thanks for the heads up Fordy.