closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marked police car and speeding...

Marked police car and speeding...

Hi, any police officers or people in the know here that can shed some light on...

If I were speeding (significantly) as a result of overtaking three vehicles in a crawler lane but realised a marked police car was behind me, then slowed down and waved to him via my back window in apology, were then followed by him for a couple of miles (passing a suitable "pull over" lay-by but were still not pulled over or signalled in any way.
    Could I assume I am not going to get done (via NIP)?
    Do marked cars always pull you over if they intend to do you?
    Perhaps I slowed in time to avoid him clocking me for long enough?
    Perhaps they need to ID you for an NIP and as he was behind me he couldn't ID me and therefore if they don't pull you you're usually OK?
    He eventually went his own way without pulling or signalling me.

Any experience in this to perhaps put my mind at rest?
    Thanks.

Master
    I don't suppose they had any speed measuring device in their car. I wouldn't worry :0)

If they had wanted to pull you over and had the opportunity to do so but didn't, I would say you will be fine. It is easier to deal with the offence at the time than go back to the office, PNC the car then send out paperwork. Operational officers wouldn't normally do this.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I don't suppose they had any speed measuring device in their car. I wouldn't worry :0)

Thanks, it was a fully marked up traffic car not a standard panda?
    Is it still possible they didn't have speed measuring equipment on-board?

Master
    Id say you're fine, but did you not check your mirror BEFORE pulling out to overtake?

If someone was flying up your outside, that's an accident.

I only assume you didn't check your mirror as you'd have seen the police car if you had.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post
    If they had wanted to pull you over and had the opportunity to do so but didn't, I would say you will be fine. It is easier to deal with the offence at the time than go back to the office, PNC the car then send out paperwork. Operational officers wouldn't normally do this.

Thanks, I hope you are correct.
    He followed me past a large lay-by complete with a butty van so had the opportunity to pull me over safely if he had wanted to.
    I was (albeit for a short time) going around 90mph in a 60mpg zone although it was probably a little less as car speedo's are always out by a few mph. I did acknowledge him with an apologetic wave to him as he drove behind me as I slowed down, perhaps he felt "fair enough" and decided not to bother?
    I can only hope and pray so.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Thanks, it was a fully marked up traffic car not a standard panda?
    Is it still possible they didn't have speed measuring equipment on-board?
    No, they will have had a calibrated speedometer.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Id say you're fine, but did you not check your mirror BEFORE pulling out to overtake?

If someone was flying up your outside, that's an accident.

I only assume you didn't check your mirror as you'd have seen the police car if you had.
    Actually I did but saw nothing coming up, he literally appeared out of nowhere!
    OK of course he didn't but I did check my mirrors (as all good bikers/ex-bikers do) and didn't see him.
    Still a lesson to be learned I think.
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 29th March 2017 at 10:59.

No, they will have had a calibrated speedometer.
    So based on your first reply and the fact that he would have had the required equipment on-board I can be optimistic?

Thanks, I hope you are correct.
    He followed me past a large lay-by complete with a butty van so had the opportunity to pull me over safely if he had wanted to.
    I was (albeit for a short time) going around 90mph in a 60mpg zone although it was probably a little less as car speedo's are always out by a few mph. I did acknowledge him with an apologetic wave to him as he drove behind me as I slowed down, perhaps he felt "fair enough" and decided not to bother?
    I can only hope and pray so.
    It looks like he/they accepted the change in your driving style, and as you say thought 'fair enough' quite possibly en-route to something so was happy to carry on without the need to stop.

It looks like he/they accepted the change in your driving style, and as you say thought 'fair enough' quite possibly en-route to something so was happy to carry on without the need to stop.
    I pray you are right!
    As I said though, a lesson learned.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    your doomed, just because they didnt pull you doesnt mean you have not been fined/points, they may have been on the way to something more important, because of your actions I would expect a notice within 7 days.

So based on your first reply and the fact that he would have had the required equipment on-board I can be optimistic?
    Yes, it's easy to do a speedo follow so it's then easy to stop the offending car and issue a ticket, so given they didn't, I wouldn't give it any more thought

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    your doomed, just because they didnt pull you doesnt mean you have not been fined/points, they may have been on the way to something more important, because of your actions I would expect a notice within 7 days.
    Not out with the realms of possibilities, however more likely they have decided to let it go. However the next 14 days will be interesting

I will give you 99.9% you will hear nothing.

If they wanted to stop you and deal with you they would have done at the time.
    It would have been "best practice" - for one reason , to safely ascertain who was the driver.

You'll be fine .. you'll hear nothing.

Lesson learned ... if you have to reach 90mph to overtake anything then the overtake isn't on.. is the safe message from it.

Worry over mate. Relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he was indeed on the way to something else more important like and RTC or whatever one suspects he might have had his blues and two on?
    Perhaps he was just clogging it as well, but a lot harder than the OP, to get past the slow traffic that has been mentioned?

The 'following behind' bit would have been them running your plate to make sure you're not a villain.

I wouldn't worry personally. I wouldn't worry anyway, as you can't change what's happened :)

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    If he was indeed on the way to something else more important like and RTC or whatever one suspects he might have had his blues and two on?
    Perhaps he was just clogging it as well, but a lot harder than the OP, to get past the slow traffic that has been mentioned?
    Possibly the incident he me or may not have been heading to didn't require blue lights and sirens, or was on routine patrol observed a speeding vehicle, closed in behind, noted the change in driver behaviour and carried on.

I once flashed my headlights at a bloke sitting in the outside lane on the M3 only for him to flash his blue and red lights back at me!

I wasn't speeding (he was doing well under 70 with nothing in the middle lane), but I figured he'd pull me in for daring to flash him.

He then dropped into the middle lane and slowed further, as I went past, I raised my hand to apologise (not really sure what for, but that's what the Police do to you), only to see him raise his hand in acknowledgement that he was in the wrong.

He didn't pull me in and I carried on.

Of course that was an unmarked car.

M

PS OP, they've added you to the Terrorist watch list, expect a dawn raid any day!!!

Master
    I had the opposite situation the other day following as police car along the motorway. He was pushing along at just under 90mph and me and another car were following at a safe distance and at the same pace. I'm not sure what the law is regarding a police car exceeding the speed limit with no identified need but perhaps your chap was just keen to get home at the end of his shift ?

I'm sure you will be fine too, if they were going to 'do' you they would have done it there and then.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks for the replies chaps, appreciated.
    I will obviously watch the company post with interest for the next two weeks but all being well I pray to hear nothing more.

Is the car registered to the company or a car lease company? The NIP must reach the registered owner of the car in 2 weeks but the lease company has no such time limit to pass it on to the driver / company it's leased to.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Marked police car and speeding...

The 14 day NIP limit refers to the amount of time that the Police need to process the original Notice of Intended Prosecution. There is a lot of misinformation about the 14 day rule, but the facts are:
    It’s not up to the police to prove that the NIP reached the registered keeper within 14 days
    It is up to the police to be able to prove that in the normal course of events, the NIP would have arrived at the last known address of the registered keeper (or in your case company/firm) within the 14 day time limit

Company car, leased via Mercedes dealership/Mercedes financial services..

Just a thought regarding the ID of the driver if not stopped/pulled over?

About 2 years ago I was done via Gatso for exceeding 30 mph.
    The Gatso flashed me from behind so couldn't have photographed my face to ID me, however I still got an NIP sent from the leasing company to the company I worked for at the time.
    Point is that ID of the driver doesn't seem to be essential?

The Gatso flashed me from behind so couldn't have photographed my face to ID me, however I still got an NIP sent from the leasing company to the company I worked for at the time.
    The NIP goes to the registered keeper and requires them to identify the driver if it wasn't them or they are a company.

Under the terms of Section 172 RTA 1988, the requirement is placed on the registered keeper initially to ID driver.

Its definitely something you need to take seriously and honestly if you're ever sent a NIP.

Ask these two...:

With everyone else - no certainty, but highly likely to be no action. There are plenty of others to chose from.

For the record - calibrated speedo is not required for a successful conviction if there are two officers present.

I would be a bit worried for 14 days but I would be very surprised if you hear anything - IMO they would have done a roadside stop if wanted to report you.

Master
    Way back when I had a 1.9 205 GTi I can recall pulling out to overtake about three cars on the motorway (at night) which were probably going at about 70mph. As I was clearing the first car I saw lights behind me coming up fast, so put my foot down even harder.

By the time I cleared the third car I was doing around 100mph and the lights of the car behind were right on me, so I pulled back into the middle lane as soon as I could to let the car through. To my horror it lit up (Police Battenberg) as it went past and I was sure I would be pulled over and was probably be in big trouble!

As it happened the speeding Police car simply kept pulling away and was soon a speck in the distance. I didn't receive anything in the post either so can only assume there were in a hurry and had more important things to do. I think you'll probably get away with it.

Its not a pleasant feeling though is it?!
    Last edited by ArcofZen; 29th March 2017 at 15:51. Reason: spooling

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    With everyone else - no certainty, but highly likely to be no action. There are plenty of others to chose from.

For the record - calibrated speedo is not required for a successful conviction if there are two officers present.
    Also, even one police officer with just a normal standard speedometer can be okay, providing the speed of the subject car is significantly above the limit.

Nicholas v Penny [1950] is the case law, if my research mind is correct.

If something unpleasant drops through the OP's letterbox then we know who to blame.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    If something unpleasant drops through the OP's letterbox then we know who to blame.....

Hmmm. 90(!) in a 60 won't look good if you do get done. If you hit 90 overtaking, the crawlers must have been doing at least the speed limit?
    Hope your doormat stays nip free but the answer is watch your speedo & treat it like a game. Nick 10mph on a motorway, 5 on a DC and as for a 30, if you hit someone while over........shelf stacking beckons.
    Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Indeed - two policemen standing at the side of the road, with no speedometer or other equipment whatsoever, can form the opinion that a car was driving in excess of the posted speed limit, and this will be regarded as sufficient evidence by a court. Except on a motorway, where only a single policeman's opinion is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcata View Post
    Also, even one police officer with just a normal standard speedometer can be okay, providing the speed of the subject car is significantly above the limit.

Nicholas v Penny [1950] is the case law, if my research mind is correct.
    I believe that is only true on Special Roads under the RTA which are 99% motorways?

Just digressing slightly, there was a post about whether the police need to have blue lights on to speed etc.. I found this on another forum whilst reading about something else and thought id share:

There's always someone who wonders why the Police have just gone past over the speed limit with no lights or sirens.

So I figured it would be a good idea, in a bid to avoid numerous threads asking the same questions, to start this Wiki and have asked mods if it could be made sticky.

The police line is;

The speed limits can be 'ignored' if to adhere to them would hinder the use of the vehicle for a 'police purpose'. Police officers in marked cars on duty have been given speeding tickets and paid them when shown to not be legally using the exemption.

There is no requirement to use blue lights and sirens to take advantage of exemptions. As such no laws have been broken.

They shouldn't be travelling dangerously at any time. There's no exemption for that.

There is no requirement for them to have warning lights or horns on in order to avail themselves of the speed limit exemption. It is a decision for the driver on whether they consider it appropriate or not in the individual circumstances.

Some times they'll use them because they deem it appropriate, some times they won't because they deem that most appropriate. There is nothing in law that requires them to ever use blue lights & two tones, it's down to their discretion.

Some examples from real cops;

1) If I don't want to alert the burglar in a house, I won't use them.

2) If I want to catch up with a car (on a motorway for example) which I want observe without alerting them, I won't use them.

3) In poor weather, especially at night, blue lights can be a distraction. I only use them at junctions and hazards but not continually.