closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Actually liking this quite a bit

Actually liking this quite a bit

When the first pics were seen, a lot of people were scoffing at it but the more pics I see,the more appealing it seems.
    I would take this over a Daytona-new or old.
    The Snowflake hands will always be a matter of contention.
    The 'in-house'movement is a collaboration between Breitling and Tudor which is an interesting development.
    Supposedly based on the Breitling 01 caliber but with some stuff of Tudor.
    Hard to know if they are just borrowing the basic movement or there is enough of Tudor in it to pass the in-house smell test. The same movement is supposed to be seen in Breitling Chrono as a B 20 movement.

Regardless, I am liking the looks and the proportions of the 41 mm case.

how to take a screen shot

I dont see anything wrong with it. Its not on my wish list, but ld wear it quite happily.

Master
    Yeah, I'm liking the look of that too. Especially on the leather, very vintage theme. Depending on (the usual) price, depth and diameter I'm quite interested
    Last edited by nunya; 29th March 2017 at 09:03. Reason: Oops, just spotted the diameter

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Yeah, I'm liking the look of that too. Especially on the leather, very vintage theme. Depending on (the usual) price, depth and diameter I'm quite interested
    Yes, 41mm and price $5050

Looks fantastic on leather. They need to start a general line alongside the heritage, and this should not have been a BB or a Heritage model imo.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Yes, 41mm and price $5050
    UK price £3,220 on leather, seems reasonable. And the leather strap version comes with a fabric strap too.

Then again the bracelet version is only £3,430, might take a punt, as straps can always be bought in later and it's the less expensive way of doing it

Oh, sorry forgot, thanks for the post as Tudor aren't usually on my radar

Aesthetically it does nothing for me but I can see how it might be popular especially at that price point. For me the relaunched Tudor brand is a missed opportunity for Rolex tbh.

Master
    I think it looks pretty good but I'd rather own a Speedie.

I like it - on the leather it works best for me. Will be interesting to hear more about the final movement.

For me the thing that is missing here is a decent rotatable bezel, in black, rather than the tachy.
    Other than that, looks fine to me, hard to argue with a nice symmetrical 2 -subdial chrono with a date at 6.
    It will be true that the snowflake hand will ruin the sub-dial reading at certain times, but they needed that BB hook to hang this model on, as I think it is by far their most successful line.
    D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    For me the thing that is missing here is a decent rotatable bezel, in black, rather than the tachy.
    Other than that, looks fine to me, hard to argue with a nice symmetrical 2 -subdial chrono with a date at 6.
    It will be true that the snowflake hand will ruin the sub-dial reading at certain times, but they needed that BB hook to hang this model on, as I think it is by far their most successful line.
    D
    It's a chronograph for timing speed, hence the tachymeter scale, how would that be possible with a rotating bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    It's a chronograph for timing speed, hence the tachymeter scale, how would that be possible with a rotating bezel?
    They could stick the tachymeter on the Rehaut or Dial.
    Bit like Zenith did with the Rainbow (telemeter in this case)

Master
    ^^^^^^

True that would work. But, IMO it would clutter up a relatively simple (for a chrono) dial.

And the earlier comment was to swap one for the other, hence asking how that would work. Oh, unless the chronograph was morphed into a Diver with stop-watch I guess

It will be true that the snowflake hand will ruin the sub-dial reading at certain times, but they needed that BB hook to hang this model on
    This photo goes some way to illustrate the problem. From a design perspective it's a stupid decision to pair snowflake hands with sub-dials.

But how many people will be buying it to actually use the chrono? Overall it looks good and I suppose that's what counts when it comes to sales.

I use a bezel lots.
    I use a chrono lots.
    I NEVER use a Tachy, it is almost totally useless.

There are loads of chronos with bezels. Witha nd without tachys
    I am wearing my DeLuca now.
    Heuer Bund
    Lemania SWAF
    Tudor's own Heritage chrono (which you can use to extend the chrono to 12 hr)
    Sinn 140 (internal bezel this time)
    Dave

If I were into Chronographs which I'm not I would have this over a Daytona any day sensibly priced not a rip off like the Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    This photo goes some way to illustrate the problem. From a design perspective it's a stupid decision to pair snowflake hands with sub-dials.

But how many people will be buying it to actually use the chrono? Overall it looks good and I suppose that's what counts when it comes to sales.
    I don't really understand the fuss over the Snowflake hands being used here on the chrono. Am I missing something, it surely doesn't cover the subdials any more than say the broadarrow hand of the Speedy?

Either way while I do love the above Speedy, this Tudor doesn't really do much for me.

Is this a standard Breitling movement or a whole new beast? Just thinking about future service issues.

I like it and, for a new watch, seems not unreasonably priced...

By which I mean it actually seems an absurd amount of money, but not compared with others.

Aesthetically, I much prefer it to a Daytona, but I'm pretty sure 5-10 years down the line, many buyers would have wished they'd bought into the Rolex brand

M

Master
    I use a bezel lots.
    I use a chrono lots.
    I NEVER use a Tachy, it is almost totally useless.

There are loads of chronos with bezels. Witha nd without tachys
    I am wearing my DeLuca now.
    Heuer Bund
    Lemania SWAF
    Tudor's own Heritage chrono (which you can use to extend the chrono to 12 hr)
    Sinn 140 (internal bezel this time)
    Dave
    Let me add you Lorenz sub chrono on the list. Tachy on the dial and a nice diving bezel on the watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is either a modified B01 or B04, not sure which. However as it is an in house movement to Breitling servicing will be by Tudor only is my guess due to the restriction on parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Is this a standard Breitling movement or a whole new beast? Just thinking about future service issues.

Master
    Like that a lot- Love a nice Chrono, had Speedmasters, PO and even had a Mont Blanc Timewalker- Nice to see something different but most importantly perfect size at 41mm IMO, currently my 'go to' watch is my Omega Seamaster 'Master' which is perfect in size and sits/balances on my wrist, lets hope this wears as comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    It is either a modified B01 or B04, not sure which. However as it is an in house movement to Breitling servicing will be by Tudor only is my guess due to the restriction on parts.
    I hope they'll eventually use the movement in a watch that's less of a confused mess than this one is.

I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it - there's something inelegant about it and the choice of handset is ridiculous.

Raj, are you serious in saying you'd take this over a Daytona? Really??

Master
    I quite like it on the leather and I guess it's relatively well priced, but very different to a Daytona in overall design and price segment.

It's a bit of a brute (in a good way) a much more chunky design compared to a Daytona.

The snowflake hands obviously obstruct the sub-dials, but how many of us use our chronographs for actually timing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    It's a Tudor modified Breitling B01. New rotor (obviously), silicon balance spring, regulation (not sure what), and finishing. The layout is also different to the Navitimer which is now 2-register versus 3 (no hours counter) and a 45min counter instead of 30min.

Craftsman
    Not really feeling this. Tudor have tried to differentiate it from the Daytona but then taken it too close in design to the Speedmaster, and the use of the snowflake hand is a massive functionality flaw. The design feels clumsy and incomplete and doesn't quite reflect the considered approach that other watches in the Tudor Heritage line have received.

If I was choosing a chronograph from Tudor I probably go with the Blue Heritage Chrono.
    I'd hoped that we would have seen an updated version of this at Basel this year with an in-house movement.

Master

Actually liking this quite a bit

This could be an interesting option when they come on the used market. The hands are fine for me and the diameter is perfect - but does anyone have confirmation on height?

Last edited by Yunsung; 29th March 2017 at 12:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Let me add you Lorenz sub chrono on the list. Tachy on the dial and a nice diving bezel on the watch!

Wearing mine today!

Master
    A good looking watch for sure. I prefer the three hander and I'm not a huge fan of the rivet style bracelet - probably it looks better in real life but faux vintage makes me uncomfortable, a watch should be confident in what it is and not be trying to be something else. However, I do think the BB steel is one of the more interesting Basel offerings. Given that I prefer the three hander, the question for me though is would you take one over a 16570 Explorer II?

Master
    Agree RAJEN, it's a nice looking Watch!

Surely the angle to look on this is that Tudor are gradually exploiting the success of the BB brand, of which the snowflake hands are an important element. The existence of this watch doesn't preclude the later expansion of the BB range to include a model with chrono and rotating bezel, nor does it preclude the later introduction of a totally different Tudor chrono using the same movement.

Also, if people can cope with this combination of hands and chrono subdials

they can cope with this new BB, surely?

Its a good point that.

if you look historically at just how many variants of the classic big block 7750 chrono's they made over the years, we can reasonably expect Tudor, true to form, will just release every colour and dial combination imaginable each year at forthcoming Basel shows! Come back in 10 years time, theres bound to be one to like by then :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jchlu View Post
    Wearing mine today!

Meant to say chapter ring then. Me me is away being serviced at the moment!

Forgetting the controversial snowfalke on a chrono decision, I find the round applied indices a strange choice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    Forgetting the controversial snowfalke on a chrono decision, I find the round applied indices a strange choice on this.
    Very Tudor though, aren't they?

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Very Tudor though, aren't they?

M
    Very Tudor dive watch maybe

Very Tudor dive watch maybe
    Definitely. :)

Modern Tudor isn't exactly known for its design consistency, unfortunately. The round indices mashed together with the squared-off hands across the Black Bay range are another mismatch.

Too bad about their watches' goofy looks, as the movements seem to be top-notch compared to what else is available for the money. Once this new calibre replaces the current modular one in the Heritage chronograph, they'll have a distinctive watch that's really worth wearing. It's obviously designed with that model in mind:

If I wanted a Tudor chrono, I'd personally wait for that to happen instead of getting this oddball version.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Definitely. :)

Modern Tudor isn't exactly known for its design consistency, unfortunately. The round indices mashed together with the squared-off hands across the Black Bay range are another mismatch.

Too bad about their watches' goofy looks, as the movements seem to be top-notch compared to what else is available for the money. Once this new calibre replaces the current modular one in the Heritage chronograph, they'll have a distinctive watch that's really worth wearing. It's obviously designed with that model in mind:

If I wanted a Tudor chrono, I'd personally wait for that to happen instead of getting this oddball version.
    I'm in no rush...

Tudor already makes some excellent Chronographs like the THC above and the Fastriders if it HAS to be a Tudor (and a not inconsiderable back-catalogue to go at). If it HAS to me this new movement then a Breitling B01 is way better than this. In any case a regular Speedy Pro is all over these.

People shouldn't try to force themselves to like this new BB. If you love it, sure get one but otherwise there is massive choice elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Tudor already makes some excellent Chronographs like the THC above and the Fastriders if it HAS to be a Tudor (and a not inconsiderable back-catalogue to go at). If it HAS to me this new movement then a Breitling B01 is way better than this. In any case a regular Speedy Pro is all over these.

People shouldn't try to force themselves to like this new BB. If you love it, sure get one but otherwise there is massive choice elsewhere.
    Agreed — other than the bit about the Fastriders, which are absolute mingers.

I see why many people like this watch, it is actually very pleasing to the eye.. but i don't particularly fancy it, coz i find the design discontinued, like a mix&match type of thing

Craftsman
    Not a bad looking watch on leather, but would not feature on my wish list. For the money there are more interesting offerings out there from Zenith, Seiko and Omega IMHO
    Last edited by Indio; 29th March 2017 at 21:20.

Master
    Personally I like it and I'm one of those who prefers the look to that of the Daytona.

Never been keen on the snowflake hands though and the screwdown pushers overwhelm the case - but everything else looks good. My nearest Tudor stockist has just moved from 5 miles away to 40 miles away, which seems to show a lack of confidence in the brand outside the hallowed walls of this Forum, which is a little sad.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Absolute cracker of a watch and significantly cheaper than a Daytona

Good choice. Well done

Craftsman
    Oh how I wish the date was on a black background tho!!

Really cool looking straps.

Master

I like it

I'm liking this one !! I'm liking the style, the size and the price !! The blocking of the subdials is not an issue as I really don't use them in anyway I just like the aesthetics of them!!!

Chris

The hands and round indices indicate where the design thinking was - its more about form than function. The marketing demands pushed more for a particular look over what functions best on a chronograph. But that bias is true in every iteration of the Black Bay I have seen.
    Last edited by bedlam; 4th April 2017 at 10:04.