closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Submariner 7923 on eBay

Craftsman

Tudor Submariner 7923 on eBay

Current bid is $99,999 with 10 minutes to go. Wowzer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292060170753

Craftsman
    So its radioactive, doesnt have a strap, the lume doesnt glow and it has no strap.......Bargain.

Craftsman
    It also doesn't work.

Seller has a rating of 12 stars = brave person who has put that kind of bid on...

Craftsman
    Straight to Hodinkee as soon as it sold:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tu...expensive-ever

Not that I wish to be the moral police, but Hodinkee are money obsessed, it's all about how much at auction, and is just a bit distasteful

Even in the crazy world of watches, I just think that this is madness, and a bit repulsive really.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Not that I wish to be the moral police, but Hodinkee are money obsessed, it's all about how much at auction, and is just a bit distasteful

Even in the crazy world of watches, I just think that this is madness, and a bit repulsive really.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always get the impression that certain members of the Hodinkee team are heavily invested in the usual vintage that they are feeding a fire that they can only benefit from. Maybe.

Has it got a strap?

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    I always get the impression that certain members of the Hodinkee team are heavily invested in the usual vintage that they are feeding a fire that they can only benefit from. Maybe.
    Not forgetting that they now deal in vintage watches.

I wonder if the winning bidder has paid up?

Bit perplexing about the lack of lume but high radiation level...if the lume was Radium it should be glowing for hundreds of years to come...maybe a previous owner worked at three mile island!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    Bit perplexing about the lack of lume but high radiation level...if the lume was Radium it should be glowing for hundreds of years to come...maybe a previous owner worked at three mile island!
    Radium lume chemically decomposes. Old WW2 Panerais have stopped glowing, for example, but are still radioactive.

I hypothesise, but am not sure, that the local source of ionising radiation may accelerate chemical decomposition, i.e. by breaking the bonds in complex molecules.

Master
    Did nothing for me and I honestly thought it looked a bit of a knacker really but ho hum, everyone likes to collect different pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Not forgetting that they now deal in vintage watches.
    Yes that too, I'd forgotten about that. Overpriced vintage and short run limited watches and straps. They seem to sell everything like hot cakes though.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Radium lume chemically decomposes. Old WW2 Panerais have stopped glowing, for example, but are still radioactive.

I hypothesise, but am not sure, that the local source of ionising radiation may accelerate chemical decomposition, i.e. by breaking the bonds in complex molecules.
    you're right Mark, something that I had forgotten i.e. The radium alone glows insufficiently to be of use so mixing it with a luminous compound such as Zinc Sulphide/copper which then reacts to presumably alpha particles as the Radium decays and these in turn breakdown the structure of the luminous compound, seemingly in three to four years at which point the only glow will revert to Radium...anyway thanks for the reminder!

Discussed at some length on the VRF.

1) the seller had no idea of it value before they were contacted by a VRF member.

2) its rare, really rare, rocking horse poo rare.

3) the sort of person who can afford this watch will not be cash strapped (pun).

4) the radioactively is harmless unless you lick it - don't lick it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    The world has indeed gone mad

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app