closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quick question for BMW 5 Series F10 owners about Adaptive suspension

Quick question for BMW 5 Series F10 owners about Adaptive suspension

I'm buying a used BMW 5 Series from around 2011-2013. It will be either a 525d or 530d auto and I'm slightly confused about the different suspension and engine modes.

I know on many models there are buttons by the gearstick that let's you chose between comfort, sport and sport+. Now I assumed that changing those modes adjusted both the behaviour of the engine AND the suspension set up, making it stiffer in sport mode for example. But I've been reading some things today that have made me question this and was wondering whether the adaptive suspension was a separate option that you control in a different way? I've test driven a few sports and different notice much difference in the ride when I changed modes.

I ask because I'm really torn between the SE and M Sport versions. I love the look of the M Sport but I'm concerned the ride will be too stiff, even in comfort mode. I currently drive a 325d M Sport without any kind of adaptive suspension and while it handles really well, it get's a bit tiresome on long runs. I do a whole mix of driving from long motorway runs to fun country B roads and plenty of city traffic, so I'm looking for something that will work across the board.

I understand the suspension of the SE is more forgiving, but it doesn't look as nice and I feel a bit young (37) to be driving one. Both have 19s on them and I realise with run flats as well that there is always going to be a relatively firm ride and I'm prepared to live with that, but just want to get the balance right.

A couple of examples around my £15k budget:

Sport:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...0SERIES&page=1

SE (although I wouldn't get this one because I want the newer engine that came in from 61 plate onwards):
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...0SERIES&page=1

Any thoughts from owners and an answer to my question would be helpful.

Giulietta Cloverleaf. All Beamers over the 1 series are for the over-forties.

I had the same quandary when I ordered my X3. I could have had the stiffer M Sport suspension deleted, so it would be the same as the XLine.

In the end I went for the VDC (Variable Damper Control) as an extra. Of course I'll have no basis to compare whether it was worth the extra, plus not being delivered until June.

Interested to hear any other views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had a few BMW s as company cars, having worked for a dealer. Go for a Sport and don't bother with adaptive suspension unless it only adds a couple of hundred quid to the asking price. A Sport will be much easier to move on once you have finished with it.
    Last edited by notnowkato; 28th March 2017 at 22:39.

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    I had the same quandary when I ordered my X3. I could have had the stiffer M Sport suspension deleted, so it would be the same as the XLine.

In the end I went for the VDC (Variable Damper Control) as an extra. Of course I'll have no basis to compare whether it was worth the extra, plus not being delivered until June.

Interested to hear any other views.

That was a sensible choice on an X3. Sports suspension on a 4x4 seems a bit counter intuitive,

Thanks for your comments, but to be clear I'm not talking about an option on a new car, I'm buying a used one about 5 years old, so just wondering if having the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ button means the suspension adjusts too or if that only changes the engine performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Giulietta Cloverleaf. All Beamers over the 1 series are for the over-forties.
    Anybody who buys an Alfa would be better just setting fire to the cash they are throwing at the purchase.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Sport buttons stiffens up the steering and suspension on my 2015 335d.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Anybody who buys an Alfa would be better just setting fire to the cash they are throwing at the purchase.
    You're probably right, but by heavens they look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    You're probably right, but by heavens they look good.
    Perhaps - not a view I agree with, but I can understand why people fall in love with them.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I was in exactly the same position a couple of years ago and after trying out the options I went for the 530D SE over the sport. Mine had black grille and 20" wheels so looked very stealth and was an absolutely awesome car. I think Clarkson was bang on the money when he said the 5 was all the car you ever needed to have - regardless of money.

I'm pretty sure that you can select whether it changes both drivetrain and suspension, or drivetrain only. When you select the Sport button, the multimedia display shows a cutaway of the car. There is a setting icon top left. Press the idrive selector and it gives you the options. That's a distant memory, but it's certainly how the contemporary 3 & 4 series works.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you can select whether it changes both drivetrain and suspension, or drivetrain only. When you select the Sport button, the multimedia display shows a cutaway of the car. There is a setting icon top left. Press the idrive selector and it gives you the options. That's a distant memory, but it's certainly how the contemporary 3 & 4 series works.

Thnaks, that's helpful. Does that mean then that if it has that button then it has adaptive suspension or are there cars out there where that button will only change the engine response and not the suspension?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post

This is correct but pretty sure this isn't adaptive suspension (even though it does make the suspension firmer) as adaptive is an optional extra- at least it was for my 4 series which has comfort/sport etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    Thnaks, that's helpful. Does that mean then that if it has that button then it has adaptive suspension or are there cars out there where that button will only change the engine response and not the suspension?
    I've had two automatic F10s (both SE spec) and neither were fitted with the optional adaptive suspension, but the button is still present. In that case it only changes the engine response (in sport mode it keeps the revs higher before changing up). Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    I've had two automatic F10s (both SE spec) and neither were fitted with the optional adaptive suspension, but the button is still present. In that case it only changes the engine response (in sport mode it keeps the revs higher before changing up). Hope that helps.
    Good to know, so sounds like an optional extra otherwise I'm just changing the suspension. How did you find the SE? Guessing liked it if you had two.

Master
    Exactly this. If you definitely want adaptive suspension make sure you get the full BMW spec sheet of the car which will list all all of the added options.

Having said all that I don't think it makes that much difference and certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker if a car ticked all the other boxes except this?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    Good to know, so sounds like an optional extra otherwise I'm just changing the suspension. How did you find the SE? Guessing liked it if you had two.

The SE was a great company car and looks a bit understated compared to the sport, which suits me fine, but I am an old fogey (51)! I'd be a bit nervous about the 19" wheels, as you say, the ride will be firm.

Master
    I think it also firms up the steering a bit. Not sure what other difference there is between pressing the button and pushing the gear lever to the left (but leaving in auto mode) is though.

In my 116i M Sport the sport button only changes the revs and the steering feel not the suspension. Adaptive suspension is an option that is controlled from the idrive giving you suspension settings inside the different engine modes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I think it also firms up the steering a bit. Not sure what other difference there is between pressing the button and pushing the gear lever to the left (but leaving in auto mode) is though.
    On my 4 series (and my wife's 2 series) the button definitely firms up the suspension as well as the steering. This however is NOT adaptive suspension which is an optional extra and which constantly monitors and changes the suspension depending on the road surface/cornering etc.
    not sure if this helps https://youtu.be/IwY9E6AlrJw

Banned
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Had this on a recent 550i MSport, never found reason to use it.

Excellence all around !

Not 100% up on that model but typically you have

Eco
    Comfort
    Sports
    Sports+

These toggle the throttle and steering plus suspension if the car has adaptive, you can customise the setting for comfort and sports in iDrive (so sports can at request have the throttle and steering in sports but the suspension in comfort) Sports+ is fixed.

The gearshift will also have a sports position which will put the gearbox in sports mode, so in my car for all out I knock the gearshift over to sports and toggle the mode button to sports+ but for day to day I like the controls in sports but not the hard suspensions especially as I have 19's so I've changed to preset to keep suspension in comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post

Eco
    Comfort
    Sports
    Sports+

These toggle the throttle and steering plus suspension if the car has adaptive, you can customise the setting for comfort and sports in iDrive (so sports can at request have the throttle and steering in sports but the suspension in comfort) Sports+ is fixed.

The gearshift will also have a sports position which will put the gearbox in sports mode, so in my car for all out I knock the gearshift over to sports and toggle the mode button to sports+ but for day to day I like the controls in sports but not the hard suspensions especially as I have 19's so I've changed to preset to keep suspension in comfort.
    Thanks, so I assume you have adaptive suspension in yours? This sounds perfect and just what I'm after.

When looking at used cars I think there are some out there that have adaptive suspension but it's not obvious to the dealer/owner so it's not listed in the add. Is there is an easy way to tell if the car has adaptive suspension?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post

Eco
    Comfort
    Sports
    Sports+

Mine hasn't got adaptive (neither has the wife's) and the suspension also firms up in Sports and Sports +
    My link above explains what adaptive suspension is but it's an optional extra and constantly adapts the suspension to road conditions etc.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Mine hasn't got adaptive (neither has the wife's) and the suspension also firms up in Sports and Sports +
    My link above explains what adaptive suspension is but it's an optional extra and constantly adapts the suspension to road conditions etc.
    I was under the impression that was different named option on certain models, it's like a more advance system again my info was only based on my car but it was a case of standard spring//shocks Vs adaptive so no in between.

Also the 2 series as far as I'm aware only has standard or adaptive just like my 1 series so I can imagine the only difference in the feel is via the steering adjustment
    Last edited by pitbull666; 30th March 2017 at 12:46.

Master
    Not without adaptive it doesn't. If you havent got the switchable dampers then there is nothing that the driving mode switch can alter on that score.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Not without adaptive it doesn't. If you havent got the switchable dampers then there is nothing that the driving mode switch can alter on that score.
    On my 4 series it does- Both sport and sport+ are firmer than comfort. I have to concede that maybe my wife's 2 series doesn't but the 4 definitely does. I checked vin number and it makes no mention of adaptive suspension. Just checked handbook Sport gives "Consistently sporty control of the shock ab‐ sorbers for greater driving agility." knowing BMW I accept that it might not be the same for a 5 series
    Last edited by craig1912; 30th March 2017 at 17:16.

Master
    On my 4 series it does- Both sport and sport+ are firmer than comfort. I have to concede that maybe my wife's 2 series doesn't but the 4 definitely does. I checked vin number and it makes no mention of adaptive suspension. Just checked handbook Sport gives "Consistently sporty control of the shock ab‐ sorbers for greater driving agility." knowing BMW I accept that it might not be the same for a 5 series
    That blurb just refers to the firmer shocks fitted as part of the standard M Sport Spec. Switchable dampers are only fitted as part of the Adaptive M Sport option which is £510 on every 4 Series. You may feel a steering and throttle response change but without the option the change in ride feel has to be in your head. Or perhaps it is fitted. If it is there you should be able to disable it in i-drive in Sport and Sport plus under the 'chassis' setting. You will also have electrical connectors half way up the damper body which can be seen on full lock if memory serves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    That blurb just refers to the firmer shocks fitted as part of the standard M Sport Spec. Switchable dampers are only fitted as part of the Adaptive M Sport option which is £510 on every 4 Series. You may feel a steering and throttle response change but without the option the change in ride feel has to be in your head. Or perhaps it is fitted. If it is there you should be able to disable it in i-drive in Sport and Sport plus under the 'chassis' setting. You will also have electrical connectors half way up the damper body which can be seen on full lock if memory serves.
    The blurb isn't referring to the firmer shocks/ I don't have an M Sport and the Adaptive M Sport option is £750 (and does more than just change the firmness) which my car doesn't have- oh and its not in my head- it makes a decent difference at high speed and round corners- if it is fitted it doesn't state that in the spec and I got it for free! I can change the Sports in i-drive to chassis or chassis and drivetrain.