closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rolex Hype and BS

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    I don't understand this. Why not just go directly to the shop that had one in the window and purchase from them?
    With two shops selling the same product across the road from each other, it makes sense to see which one will offer the best deal.

One said it'd be s three year wait for the exact model he wanted, the other had one sat in the window and therefore offered the best deal at that time.

What's not to understand, it makes perfect sense to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    ]

This is a weird thread. If you like Rolex, feel free to buy it and if you don't like Rolex, buy something else.

Who cares what watch I own because I don't give a damn what you wear.

I wear Rolex because I like the history and the quality and I like them being on me. I don't care what is on anyone elses wrist so why all the hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Amen.
    It's not about liking Rolex and buying or not buying Rolex, the thread is about the BS being sprouted by ADs at the moment and people being made to jump through hoops just to be able to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It's not about liking Rolex and buying or not buying Rolex, the thread is about the BS being sprouted by ADs at the moment and people being made to jump through hoops just to be able to buy one.
    And that really is what some fail to grasp. Its not exclusive to rolex either but, seeing as rolex are at the top of their game, they're the easiest example to quote and, due to their position, the BS will always be easy for the ADs to spout.
    Pointing this out isn't anti-rolex - just anti-BS - but it, without fail, triggers the defence mechanisms of the usual suspects who, without thought, turn it into an "Either youre with rolex or against them!" Situation in their minds.
    Its possible to love a brands products but recognise related BS when you see it.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 30th March 2017 at 07:37. Reason: Autospell!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Its possible to love a brands products but recognise related BS when you see it.
    This in a nutshell.

Master
    Yep its all just marketing. Have any of you tried to purchase a Hermes Birkin/Kelly bag? Not only do they never have any in store (like daytona), you need to make an appointment, then they ask you what you want (ie colour, leather, size). Often IF in the off chance they have a birkin/kelly bag, they will bring one out which wont be the one you asked for and asked if you would like to purchase. Once you purchase, you go on a log, and cannot purchase more than 2 bags in a year Quota'd globally. Its just how exclusive marketing works i guess.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Rolex antics are irrelevant to me. Focus on beautiful older models and you have something far more desirable than the multicoloured bloated nonsense of today.
    Spot on.

I'd rather wear my beautiful vintage 7030 Seiko than any new Rolex!

And as for Rolex I'd go vintage again, get a gorgeous old GMT for what? half the price of a new Daytona? Million times more class in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Yep its all just marketing. Have any of you tried to purchase a Hermes Birkin/Kelly bag? Not only do they never have any in store (like daytona), you need to make an appointment, then they ask you what you want (ie colour, leather, size). Often IF in the off chance they have a birkin/kelly bag, they will bring one out which wont be the one you asked for and asked if you would like to purchase. Once you purchase, you go on a log, and cannot purchase more than 2 bags in a year Quota'd globally. Its just how exclusive marketing works i guess.
    Completely agree.

Master
    [QUOTE=Dave+63;4299546]It's not about liking Rolex and buying or not buying Rolex, the thread is about the BS being sprouted by ADs at the moment and people being made to jump through hoops just to be able to buy one.[/QUOTE

If you don't like the BS go somewhere else and let the market take over. This whole thread is a storm in a teacup.

The simple reality is that Rolex are in demand and if an AD takes a dislike to someone, for whatever reason, he can politely tell them to bugger off and sell the watch to someone else who will be walking in fairly soon.

Rolex are obviously working to re-establish the brand and are cutting back on supply. I have been recently travelling around Europe and there are hardly any SS watches in any Rolex ADs anywhere. Rolex setting out to become exclusive again. That is good if you like it and tough if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    With two shops selling the same product across the road from each other, it makes sense to see which one will offer the best deal.

One said it'd be s three year wait for the exact model he wanted, the other had one sat in the window and therefore offered the best deal at that time.

What's not to understand, it makes perfect sense to me?
    Erm, yes that's exactly it. 2 shops opposite each other. I go into shop a), before looking at shop b) opposite. Shop a) salesman says 'it's a 3 year wait, the 5513 is incredibly hard to get' so I leave, cross the road and go into shop b) noticing they have a 5513 in the window. I then go inside and buy the watch. I then pop back into shop a) and let the salesman know I just bought the watch minutes after he'd assured me I'd have to wait 3 years. Which was clearly rubbish and another example of 'creative fibbing' from a Rolex AD. Perhaps I should add that shop b) told me they had another 2 in stock and had a 5513 in the window almost always (which was the case for years in the late 80's to mid 90's i seem to remember) so the guy in shop a) would have known it was there. That's the story, nothing hard to understand, and no criticism of Rolex watches, just the 'holy grail' bs perpetuated by a brand mass producing watches.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Erm, yes that's exactly it. 2 shops opposite each other. I go into shop a), before looking at shop b) opposite. Shop a) salesman says 'it's a 3 year wait, the 5513 is incredibly hard to get' so I leave, cross the road and go into shop b) noticing they have a 5513 in the window. I then go inside and buy the watch. I then pop back into shop a) and let the salesman know I just bought the watch minutes after he'd assured me I'd have to wait 3 years. Which was clearly rubbish and another example of 'creative fibbing' from a Rolex AD. Perhaps I should add that shop b) told me they had another 2 in stock and had a 5513 in the window almost always (which was the case for years in the late 80's to mid 90's i seem to remember) so the guy in shop a) would have known it was there. That's the story, nothing hard to understand, and no criticism of Rolex watches, just the 'holy grail' bs perpetuated by a brand mass producing watches.

I understand going to both shops to get the best deal, that's sensible. What I don't get is, why bother going back to shop a) just to go "ner ner ner ner" seems very childish to me. Besides which the shop a) sales person isn't going to give a SH!T anyway

May be that particular AD has a wait list, they did not say "you can't get one elsewhere"

You have no way of knowing that
    Last edited by nunya; 30th March 2017 at 10:38.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I understand going to both shops to get the best deal, that's sensible. What I don't get is, why bother going back to shop a) just to go "ner ner ner ner" seems very childish to me. Besides which the shop a) sales person isn't going to give a SH!T anyway

May be that particular AD has a wait list, they did not say "you can't get one elsewhere"

You have no way of knowing that
    Maybe he just wanted to give a feedback to shop a) and let them know that maybe their relationship with Rolex should be improved.
    From business point of view I'd appreciate a feedback like that, but also if that sales person didn't know that on the first place...

Master
    ]

This is a weird thread. If you like Rolex, feel free to buy it and if you don't like Rolex, buy something else.

Who cares what watch I own because I don't give a damn what you wear.
    Very sensible, but kind of removes the fun from forums such as this though!!

Master
    [QUOTE=MrGrumpy;4299730]Very sensible, but kind of removes the fun from forums such as this though!![/QUOTE

Mr Grumpy

One of the biggest mistakes that watch enthusiasts make is that they presume that everyone else is gawping at their watch. The simple truth is that most people gawp at the more attractive members of the opposite sex or shop windows etc. The last thing you gawp at is someone elses watch.

Right now, this very moment, I am wearing a 39mm watch and I will bet my bottom Dollar that no one else even notices it.

Most of us buy a Rolex for personal pride and making it slightly harder to buy than something else adds to the kick you get out of it.

Regards

Mick

Master
    Oddly, I always look at the watch if I can. But then ladies look at shoes when appraising a man apparently.

Actually, you don't, because - as you like to remind everyone as often as possible - you don't buy Rolex any more as your U1 or whatever suits your needs perfectly. However, if you did actually go back to shop (a) I'd consider you to be a right plonker.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    However, if you did actually go back to shop (a) I'd consider you to be a right plonker.
    I'm reading "arrogance" ....................

Rolex (other brands are available) Hype and BS ?
    No problem – don't inhale, just walk on.
    But beware, it’s the secondary exposure, the insidious sclerotic peddling of it here which gets you.

Actually, you don't, because - as you like to remind everyone as often as possible - you don't buy Rolex any more as your U1 or whatever suits your needs perfectly. However, if you did actually go back to shop (a) I'd consider you to be a right plonker.
    Actually I thought the salesman was the plonker in this instance - I don't like being lied to. I'm also not sure how i rattled your particular cage, threads like this always go so the same way when Rolex gets ant negativity whatsoever. The story told happened years ago when the 5513 was available new, in 2017 I probably wouldn't rise to the salesman in question, they all tell porky pies to get a sale, that's the way of the world. Hey they're only watches though - the reason i have the U1 is it's the watch i had when i realised all the flipping and spending on watches was a bit futile and pointless. Posts like you're remind me there are still plenty out there who think it's terribly important.

Actually I thought the salesman was the plonker in this instance - I don't like being lied to. I'm also not sure how i rattled your particular cage, threads like this always go so the same way when Rolex gets ant negativity whatsoever. The story told happened years ago when the 5513 was available new, in 2017 I probably wouldn't rise to the salesman in question, they all tell porky pies to get a sale, that's the way of the world. Hey they're only watches though - the reason i have the U1 is it's the watch i had when i realised all the flipping and spending on watches was a bit futile and pointless. Posts like you're remind me there are still plenty out there who think it's terribly important.

Actually, I don't think it's important at all. You clearly do, hence your continual whinging on Rolex threads.

Actually, I don't think it's important at all. You clearly do, hence your continual whinging on Rolex threads.
    Whinging? That's what half this forum consists of, the other half is for showing off. I prefer the whinging

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I'm reading "arrogance" ....................
    Actually in 1987 i probably was a bit arrogant. It was the 80's

Master

How do you know you were lied to? That particular AD may have had a wait list. Not all ADs get the same quantities of supply, they vary in sales / demand.

It is very possible that another AD had that model in stock where this one didn't

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    How do you know you were lied to? That particular AD may have had a wait list. Not all ADs get the same quantities of supply, they vary in sales / demand.

It is very possible that another AD had that model in stock where this one didn't
    Eh? Wish I'd never bothered uttering a word on this thread. I'm very lucky the nice man let me buy a lovely Rolex back in the late 80's, I probably didn't deserve that particular model as they are for wealthy underwater frogmen and I wasn't worthy. The salesman probably genuinely believed there was a 3 year waiting list for the 5513, as he was almost blind and therefore unable to see the display of stainless steel sports models in the window of his competitor across the road, which he would have passed if he'd bought a sandwich or burger for lunch. Unless he bought a lunch box with him in which case he'd have walked past it on the way to and from work. Maybe he lived upstairs at the 'AD' and never had any interest in his competitor across Bond Street, and never ventured outside due to agrophibia. Or maybe he had an 80's fringed Duran Duran hairstyle which obscured his vision and genuinely believed the Submariner I requested to be subject to a 3 year waiting list. He was saving the stock in his safe just in case Simon Le Bon wanted one to wear in the groundbreaking video for their popular tune 'Rio'. Perhaps he was just rude, but nearly 30 years later I forgive him. I'm over it. But so scarred I can never wear a Rolex again because of the flashbacks to that fateful day. I'm reduced to wearing lesser, more regularly obtainable watches. Boo hoo

Master
    Jesus dude, get a grip. You act like Rolex screwed your wife while you were at work. It's a watch FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Jesus dude, get a grip. You act like Rolex screwed your wife while you were at work. It's a watch FFS.
    You don't get 'humour' do you, and lay off the swearing please

Master
    You don't get 'humour' do you, and lay off the swearing please

Congrats - my first ever ignored poster. Even the guy who talks about his solid gold seiko and awesome penis didn't get ignored. Kudos.

I hope you continue to have a miserable life ending with a Rolex induced aneurism.

😋😂

Actually the aneurism bit wasn't very nice. I know a guy who dropped dead of one at 45. Hey, it's only watches!!

Blog Entries
    If you like Rolex, feel free to buy it
    It seems to me that a lot of the problem is that for certain models it's just not that simple. Hence the angst.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It seems to me that a lot of the problem is that for certain models it's just not that simple. Hence the angst.
    The answer is not to act like a jilted lover or be a whinging sissy about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The answer is not to act like a jilted lover or be a whinging sissy about it.
    Indeed. It's like this

but with watches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The answer is not to act like a jilted lover
    However, since purchases of high value luxury goods like Rolex watches are non-rational[1], emotional decisions, involving significant resources, it is perhaps not surprising that people act like jilted lovers when denied.

( For the avoidance of doubt, when I say "non-rational" it is not intended to belittle anyone's decision to buy a Rolex or other luxury watch. I'm the same, of course! But it is almost all about emotion and not about rational need. )

Master
    Eh? Wish I'd never bothered uttering a word on this thread. I'm very lucky the nice man let me buy a lovely Rolex back in the late 80's, I probably didn't deserve that particular model as they are for wealthy underwater frogmen and I wasn't worthy. The salesman probably genuinely believed there was a 3 year waiting list for the 5513, as he was almost blind and therefore unable to see the display of stainless steel sports models in the window of his competitor across the road, which he would have passed if he'd bought a sandwich or burger for lunch. Unless he bought a lunch box with him in which case he'd have walked past it on the way to and from work. Maybe he lived upstairs at the 'AD' and never had any interest in his competitor across Bond Street, and never ventured outside due to agrophibia. Or maybe he had an 80's fringed Duran Duran hairstyle which obscured his vision and genuinely believed the Submariner I requested to be subject to a 3 year waiting list. He was saving the stock in his safe just in case Simon Le Bon wanted one to wear in the groundbreaking video for their popular tune 'Rio'. Perhaps he was just rude, but nearly 30 years later I forgive him. I'm over it. But so scarred I can never wear a Rolex again because of the flashbacks to that fateful day. I'm reduced to wearing lesser, more regularly obtainable watches. Boo hoo

Great stuff!

Master
    Actually the aneurism bit wasn't very nice. I know a guy who dropped dead of one at 45. Hey, it's only watches!!

Quite!

Haha! Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Congrats - my first ever ignored poster. Even the guy who talks about his solid gold seiko and awesome penis didn't get ignored. Kudos.

I hope you continue to have a miserable life ending with a Rolex induced aneurism.
    Really? Because he has an opinion?
    Some people need to wean themselves off certain brands - far too tetchy when said brands are perceived to be criticized - even though a retailer, not the brand, is actually at fault.
    Maybe this is the wrong hobby for some...

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    From a marketing standpoint is really interesting if a little worrying as a consumer. Does buying the one offered increase your chance of getting the one that you want next time?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    That made me spit my tea out. Genius. I miss this sketch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    From a marketing standpoint is really interesting if a little worrying as a consumer. Does buying the one offered increase your chance of getting the one that you want next time?

No unless you are really known to them ie you have bought lots from them before - prob a special card for such people or you are famous in which case you get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    No unless you are really known to them ie you have bought lots from them before - prob a special card for such people or you are famous in which case you get what you want.
    Ok, so you go to a shop, you buy whatever you're offered (having stipulated what you actually want) and then you're only allowed to buy 2 more objects a year, neither of which you can really choose?

Companies are cleverer than us.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    However, since purchases of high value luxury goods like Rolex watches are non-rational[1], emotional decisions, involving significant resources, it is perhaps not surprising that people act like jilted lovers when denied.

( For the avoidance of doubt, when I say "non-rational" it is not intended to belittle anyone's decision to buy a Rolex or other luxury watch. I'm the same, of course! But it is almost all about emotion and not about rational need. )
    Emotions? – you’re too kind Mark.
    We’re all watch junkies after the next natural dopamine hit or something more potent, more upmarket. Kind of brings the worst out in us that heroin.

Right now though, what with JP Chestnut's wholly unacceptable remark, I’m thinking Gollum when he’s lost it.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 31st March 2017 at 10:46.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I think that the only thing that Rolex can be accused of is to limit the production of some models rather voluntarily. The s/s Ceramic Daytona being the only true model falling into this category. Anything else is pretty much readily available. Some idiot dealers like to paint it otherwise but any TZ member would easily see through it.

It creates some sort of halo around the brand. As others said, they make great watches and have been doing so for decades with added sport sponsoring etc.

Patek Philippe on the other hand plays a lot more than Rolex on that front: 5131, 5524g, 5711a, 5711p, 5712a, anniversary models, i could carry on. The willingness to create that artificial shortage and object of desire sentiment is even greater.

If one hates Rolex, then they should hate Patek Philippe with a passion!

If you are into cars, check what Porsche did with the 991r or gt models. You need to be 'invited' to give them your money! Don't get me started on Ferrari, they are the worst offenders on the hype and BS front...

Rolex as a brand is almost a saint when compared to the other superlative brands.

At the end of the day, it's us consumers who enable all these companies to get in such positions. As someone previously said: vote with your wallet!
    Last edited by erics; 31st March 2017 at 10:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    It's not Rolex BS.

They are completely crystal about what they provide.
    They make watches.
    They filter out the watches they have made via a dealer network.
    They repair and service watches.
    They don't sell spare parts to the public or non authorised fettlers.
    They sponsor some sport, art, architecture, science and exploration etc.

Those are the clear and established boundaries.

The rest is forum BS. And Rolex ain't responsible for that in any way shape or form.
    Whilst on the whole I agree, there is clearly a huge element of inconsistent information and BS from said dealer network which in turn feeds the forum BS and gets many understandably wound up.

I don't own a Rolex but I would like to try one in the future.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    If one hates Rolex, then they should hate Patek Philippe with a passion!
    I agree and there is in fact some PP-hate on this forum for these very reasons.

Perhaps PP gets less attention because its watches are less attainable on price grounds and so capture people's attention less. Nevertheless, they do get some attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    there is clearly a huge element of inconsistent information and BS from said dealer network which in turn feeds the forum BS
    Absolutely.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rolex; the next generation.

From diver to desk diver to list jumper.

I can imagine that for those who last century bought a Rolex for it being a quality made reliable watch it must be irksome to be looked upon as prats who eagerly jumped on an imaginary list because it made them feel more self important still.
    I find it hard to believe and would have expected watch lovers to have voted with their feet but apparently it is a coveted image as the whole thing sells succesfully; prospects even write about them being on the list like that is a desirable thing!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bitterness and drum banging, losing ground at a rapid pace

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Bitterness and drum banging, losing ground at a rapid pace
    See??!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    It's increasingly incoherent. I struggle to make heads or tails of it even when I can be bothered to read the shorter less self obsessed posts.
    Yes, he does seem to be spiralling, but as you say, drivel and self obsession is the norm now.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    From diver to desk diver to list jumper.

I can imagine that for those who last century bought a Rolex for it being a quality made reliable watch it must be irksome to be looked upon as prats who eagerly jumped on an imaginary list because it made them feel more self important still.
    I find it hard to believe and would have expected watch lovers to have voted with their feet but apparently it is a coveted image as the whole thing sells succesfully; prospects even write about them being on the list like that is a desirable thing!!
    And not one mention of a woman...

...actually a good post - rolex make a great product, but attract some overly-needy, overly-pretentious customers that allow dealers to exploit their personality flaws.
    The price (or benefit) of success.

It is what it is.