closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Hype and BS

Craftsman

Rolex Hype and BS

Anyone else gettin tired of Rolex and their behavioural demands from customers? I understand the good residuals etc but frankly there are plenty of better investments if that's what you want. This is a hobby for christs sake and all we want to do is waste money on toys not stand in line for more gruel. I watched Basel and quite frankly am reaching a point where I just don't want to beg to spend 10k on a trinket. There- I've said it!

Smile

Ah, but aren't you "no.1 on my AD's list..."?!?!!?

Fair point, well made. You can have plenty of fun with this hobby of ours without sticking to the shiny baubles on offer from the regular big boys. I took delivery today of one of Eddie's limited editions from 10 years ago with only 50 made. Not in the same league financially, but a damn sight rarer.

Grand Master
    I love this 'My AD' line, its not a doctor or accountant its a retail outlet that might call you sir but doing give a shit as they sell the new arrivals to their mates to sell to the grey market
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I love this 'My AD' line, its not a doctor or accountant its a retail outlet that might call you sir but doing give a shit as they sell the new arrivals to their mates to sell to the grey market
    I do believe you've hit that nail firmly on the head Kerry!

Master
    Don't take it then, vote with your wallet and move to another brand

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Not sure what this means, but No1 on an ADs list is probably the person that's spent the most money with them, and that most certainly will never be me!!

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I do believe you've hit that nail firmly on the head Kerry!
    Yeah - always thought it sounded sanctimonious............

Spot on I bet

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Fair point, well made. You can have plenty of fun with this hobby of ours without sticking to the shiny baubles on offer from the regular big boys. I took delivery today of one of Eddie's limited editions from 10 years ago with only 50 made. Not in the same league financially, but a damn sight rarer.
    Completely agree!

I recently bought a 6B/MKII - love everything about it. About as far away from mass produced as you can get, with a great story behind it.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a Submariner as it also has history, is well made, classic design (I even have WTB for one) but this scrambling for the latest this/that and waiting list malarkey just isn't for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Don't take it then, vote with your wallet and move to another brand
    I know,I know.youre quite right and I favour my Black bay over my Rolex in many ways but this is still feeding the same monster isn't it,Omega is a good call and I like mine but getting a bit strong on price I feel. Seiko high end has started to have a strong pull for my next toy, I have a few usual ie BFK,007 etc but GS/Japan market needs opening up in the UK. It's a tactile hobby isn't it and you like to see before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Not sure what this means, but No1 on an ADs list is probably the person that's spent the most money with them, and that most certainly will never be me!!

See the other posts round here mate......it's got to be a bit of a tedious claim by people who are thinking/told/deluded that "their" AD can guarantee supply of a watch that doesn't even exist as an entity just yet....

Grand Master

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

It's all cyclical, what used to irritate me was one shop (and that's what they are, shops) telling me that there was a 3 year waiting list for a Submariner 5513, when there was one sat in the window of another shop on the other side of Bond Street. I went to pains to point out he could practically see it from the desk he was sitting at!!
    I have no issue with Rolex or their products, but it's all getting a bit pretentious imho.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    All fair enough ; but I doubt that people on watch forums amount to more than a few percent of the market, if that. Rolex sells bucket loads of watches every single day, the biggest sales are apparently for women's Date-Justs.
    I think some of their models are pretty indifferent . But they sell, and sell. Doesn't much matter what we think.
    The odd thing is that I still think Rolex are the most important watch company, they have no real competition.

Craftsman
    See the other posts round here mate......it's got to be a bit of a tedious claim by people who are thinking/told/deluded that "their" AD can guarantee supply of a watch that doesn't even exist as an entity just yet....
    Yup,got that bit mate,just wasn't entirely sure how it pertained to my post,sorry.

Do all these people actually exist. Waiting lists closed on the first day or two after the announcement. Go in any AD and they will either tell you lists for the Daytona are closed or there is a 7 year waiting list. Who are all these people with a spare ten grand waiting to snap up the latest offering.

Talking to two dealers in Liverpool, Goldsmiths and David M Robinson, between them they have about 100 people waiting for a ten grand watch and that is just one shopping centre in one City - multiply this by every major town and City up and down the land and the numbers must be mind numbing.

If nothing else it demonstrates an impressive hold over a large number of people by Rolex.

Do all these people actually exist. Waiting lists closed on the first day or two after the announcement. Go in any AD and they will either tell you lists for the Daytona are closed or there is a 7 year waiting list. Who are all these people with a spare ten grand waiting to snap up the latest offering.

Talking to two dealers in Liverpool, Goldsmiths and David M Robinson, between them they have about 100 people waiting for a ten grand watch and that is just one shopping centre in one City - multiply this by every major town and City up and down the land and the numbers must be mind numbing.

If nothing else it demonstrates an impressive hold over a large number of people by Rolex.
    I also wonder if all these people actually exist in each city throughout the country.

It seems crazy people are just walking around with Ģ8k + ready to put into a watch.

Rolex antics are irrelevant to me. Focus on beautiful older models and you have something far more desirable than the multicoloured bloated nonsense of today.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Rolex antics are irrelevant to me. Focus on beautiful older models and you have something far more desirable than the multicoloured bloated nonsense of today.
    Spot on why buy what's gonna be around for the next 20 years plus.

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Maybe theres a lot on lists hoping they will get an instant profit like on the Daytonas, being on a list doesnt cost a thing so it is worth doing

My experience of Rolex lists have been disappointing, never heard a thing about the watches I was waiting for but plenty of calls about other (easy to find) watches

The restrictions on purchase are part of the reason they are so successful everyone wants what they cant have, human nature

Master
    Dealers can tell you they have 100 people waiting but they could be lying or when it comes to putting the money down that number shrinks v.quickly. Certain areas like NW England or Central London or Aberdeen are richer than others. Is there a Rolex dealer in Swansea or Fishguard? I suspect their list and/or supply will be smaller. I was in a Rolex dealer in Mcr yesterday and was staggered how many Rolex they actually had in stock. Cabinets full. Maybe not the Sports models but Yachtmaster 2/SkyDweller/Datejusts and ladies models. Made me realise again that Rolex are a manufacturer pushing out dozens of watches every day

Just checked and Rolex/Wales is in either Swansea or Cardiff.
    Last edited by mrushton; 28th March 2017 at 21:51.

Master

The issue is that I bet a lot of these buyers may perhaps not be interested in watches at all. It could just be a lot of people wanting to make a few bucks super easy. Imagine you hear of a product that can be bought for Ģ9K and you can then immediately without any value add, make Ģ5K on it....Ofcourse it will attract attention. On top of that you hear that the GBP is depreciating and + if you dont live there u get 16.6% back, further increasing your profit. I reckon there are a load of profiteers that go on multiple lists too. And that genuine Daytona buyers could be the minority...

Anyone else gettin tired of Rolex and their behavioural demands from customers?
    Yes and in particular to this part - and (no pun intended) - it's their attitude to supplying parts that's bugging me. Example: back in the day an authorised Rolex repairer could get a bezel insert from them just by ordering it. Now, as I understand it, he has to send them the old insert with his order - so they can 'verify' it - and if he doesn't then they add 50% to the price. Order a replacement dial without returning the original? Computer says 'no'...

It's an arrogant attitude to take with customers and I don't agree with it, however the vast majority of Rolex owners probably don't care or even consider it an issue.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I also wonder if all these people actually exist in each city throughout the country.

It seems crazy people are just walking around with Ģ8k + ready to put into a watch.
    I'm sure plenty of people put their name on a list but have no way to actually pay for the watch when one becomes available. I was looking in goldsmiths and asked how many people were on "the list". Usual story, 8 year wait. They did say though that they did get a Daytona and it went to the fourth person they called. 3 people didn't want it. I can only guess they expected to wait longer and hoped to have more money when one popped up.

Anyone else gettin tired of Rolex and their behavioural demands from customers? I understand the good residuals etc but frankly there are plenty of better investments if that's what you want. This is a hobby for christs sake and all we want to do is waste money on toys not stand in line for more gruel. I watched Basel and quite frankly am reaching a point where I just don't want to beg to spend 10k on a trinket. There- I've said it!
    I am actually tired of people whining and moaning about Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Yes and in particular to this part - and (no pun intended) - it's their attitude to supplying parts that's bugging me. Example: back in the day an authorised Rolex repairer could get a bezel insert from them just by ordering it. Now, as I understand it, he has to send them the old insert with his order - so they can 'verify' it - and if he doesn't then they add 50% to the price. Order a replacement dial without returning the original? Computer says 'no'...

It's an arrogant attitude to take with customers and I don't agree with it, however the vast majority of Rolex owners probably don't care or even consider it an issue.

R

It's arrogant yes, but this is not a Rolex SA (switzerland) policy, but a Rolex UK policy (an affiliate). In many countries no such rules exist. UK and USA seem the worst, Benelux also do this nonsense...

All these popular steel watches end up in Asia at the moment, so it seems anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    It's arrogant yes, but this is not a Rolex SA (switzerland) policy, but a Rolex UK policy (an affiliate). In many countries no such rules exist. UK and USA seem the worst, Benelux also do this nonsense...

All these popular steel watches end up in Asia at the moment, so it seems anyway...
    No different to any industry that allows you to save money by giving up your old part for a new or reconditioned one.

If the price is too high, or wait too long, I'll just be pushed towards others brand purchases - and at the moment Patek is looking better value than marked up pre-owned/used Rolex to me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    That's interesting to know, although I hadn't really thought about it applying elsewhere I would have assumed it was the norm.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The majority of Rolex buyers are not doing it for a hobby. Most are aspirational buyers, some are repeat customers who understand the dance and are prepared to play, the rest are us - frustrated fans.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The majority of Rolex buyers are not doing it for a hobby. Most are aspirational buyers, some are repeat customers who understand the dance and are prepared to play, the rest are us - frustrated fans.
    Yep, as I said the vast majority of Rolex owners probably don't care or even consider it an issue. Whatever Rolex do post-sale the majority accept - and that applies to most (if not all) of the prestige marques. I had an AP Millenary on a strap and enquired about purchasing an OEM bracelet for it, 'that'll be (over) Ģ5000, Sir - and you will need to send it to us for supply and fitting'...

R

Journeyman

If there was suddenly an infinite supply of these watches tomorrow, there's no way that there would be a hundred people at each AD ready to buy one. It's all part of maintaining the brand cachet and selling the other models.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    If the price is too high, or wait too long, I'll just be pushed towards others brand purchases - and at the moment Patek is looking better value than marked up pre-owned/used Rolex to me.
    Agree when you're talking Ģ13k and up but what if you're looking at Ģ5.5-8.5k - which PP would you look at then, if any?

I would buy an Aquanaut over a Grey/marked up Daytona for similar money but I'm not too familiar with their pricing outside of the Aquanaut and Nautilus.

Master
    These are watches. You don't actually need one. Take a step back off the ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Rolex owners are a heterogenous group.
    It is kind of sad to see people so desperate to own a particular model.
    Those are the ones who are the most bitter and frustrated and victim of hype.
    It is sad to see something that is a hobby and supposed to give you pleasure result in so much anguish.
    So many cool watches and so many brands and models- so silly to get caught up with waiting lists and stickers and value retention and availability and the resulting bitterness and acting like a jilted lover.
    People need to grow up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jim View Post
    If there was suddenly an infinite supply of these watches tomorrow, there's no way that there would be a hundred people at each AD ready to buy one. It's all part of maintaining the brand cachet and selling the other models.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app
    It's not brand cache. It's a bunch of chancers with their names on 50 lists hoping they can flip a watch and make a couple grand.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The odd thing is that I still think Rolex are the most important watch company, they have no real competition.
    Most important? In WHAT???
    Seiko beat them at accuracy during the sixties and since then Seiko has innovated and kept innovating, Rolex not.
    At the turn of the century Seiko even bunny hopped over them in the luxury sector with GS, with Credor even into hights where the skydweller cannot see it.
    No competition indeed. Simply left behind in all but marketing the crap this topic deals with.

Master
    Seiko needs to up their service interval recommendations. GS still says every 3 years. Rolex is 10. It's pretty bad.

Does seiko still tell you not to golf or use a watch winder?

Speaking of Rolex hype there is a brand new sealed SD4K on eBay for Ģ10k due to discontinued hype. Used one for Ģ8.5k. In America the same sealed watch is Ģ7-Ģ7.5k

I was offered a NOS full set 16600 SD a few days ago for about GBP 5700 in Singapore.

For me, I can't be bothered with all this waiting lists and paying top dollar nonsense. There is such a vast and frankly much more interesting Rolex back catalogue to plunder for much less money and the chase is far more fulfilling. I feel way out of place in a Rolex AD anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Rolex owners are a heterogenous group.
    It is kind of sad to see people so desperate to own a particular model.
    Those are the ones who are the most bitter and frustrated and victim of hype.
    It is sad to see something that is a hobby and supposed to give you pleasure result in so much anguish.
    So many cool watches and so many brands and models- so silly to get caught up with waiting lists and stickers and value retention and availability and the resulting bitterness and acting like a jilted lover.
    People need to grow up.
    Not necessarily a hobby, but the clamouring is certainly relevant. Rolex went from understated - to ostentatious in their designs (the fat Subs/GMTs etc) to pander to the people who wanted a Rolex that "shouted" to others - "I have a Rolex - look!".

Can't see me ever wearing one.

Al

Since joining this forum quite recently I've seen this so many times! Do people not realise that a salesman will always tell a customer that they're special?!

If the rampant speculation was anything to go by, people must have been walking into ADs asking to be put on a list for make believe watches based on forum chatter. Any new sales bods must have been baffled.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I'm sure plenty of people put their name on a list but have no way to actually pay for the watch when one becomes available. I was looking in goldsmiths and asked how many people were on "the list". Usual story, 8 year wait. They did say though that they did get a Daytona and it went to the fourth person they called. 3 people didn't want it. I can only guess they expected to wait longer and hoped to have more money when one popped up.
    Not only this, but how many people here mention that they're currently on 3 or 4 lists for the same watch in the hope that one may arrive sooner than the others.

Take those '100' names on the list, discount those that don't have the means to pay should one arrive, those that didn't really want the watch anyway just liked the idea of being on a list (dreamers or just to save face after enquiring in a dealer), those that are serious, but have their name on several other lists, those that are on multiple lists for multiple models but only want the first to arrive, those that have changed their mind/bought something else/paid over list for that model in the meantime. I'd be surprised if the actual list was longer than 10% of the list of names being held by the A.D.

Master
    I thinks it comes down to the integrity of the AD and I am upfront with my AD's about this matter. My AD does not call me Sir nor ask for a deposit or keep my cards. Though I know they have done this with other customers. They accept that If I say I will buy it I will. If I am unsure they are still happy to order the piece in for me to try.

As for the BS stuff, to be honest I for one don't care, I like watches I buy them, if they desticker them so what? If they wanted to keep the cards again so what? I recently tried on a lange, something that has been on my radar and a PP 5205R-001 and I loved both so much so that the PP will be ordered for Christmas. I fell for the hype of the Nautilus, I tried one on one and it did nothing for me, I had been sucked in my the hype. The annual calendar was a beauty to behold and made me smile.
    Last edited by shoppy; 29th March 2017 at 12:49.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Not necessarily a hobby, but the clamouring is certainly relevant. Rolex went from understated - to ostentatious in their designs (the fat Subs/GMTs etc) to pander to the people who wanted a Rolex that "shouted" to others - "I have a Rolex - look!".

Al
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    But... but... what if they bring one out with RED WRITING!

Simply don't understand it either. Where does your money go? Who are you impressing with such a lack of imagination? Rolex strike me as a bit like Fender, bringing out the same thing each year but changing the colour and watching customers cream themselves over it. Fair play to them, but highly offputting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Al
    The Rolex owner will say you are just frustrated because you canīt afford one.
    You say īThat must be itī and strap on your only an 18k Seiko which stays under the social radar :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    But... but... what if they bring one out with RED WRITING!

Simply don't understand it either. Where does your money go? Who are you impressing with such a lack of imagination? Rolex strike me as a bit like Fender, bringing out the same thing each year but changing the colour and watching customers cream themselves over it. Fair play to them, but highly offputting.
    I think its the opposite. Rolex designs are so good that they can keep bringing out the same designs with tweaks and it just stands the test of time. They are also innovating and making sure the classics remain classics and not just a legacy. The Daytona at Ģ9100 is actually a good value proposition compared to the competition also for an inhouse ceramic bezel, column wheel vertical clutch movement with a steel bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The Rolex owner will say you are just frustrated because you canīt afford one.
    You say īThat must be itī and strap on your only an 18k Seiko which stays under the social radar :-)
    That's funny because I have been accused of something very similar with regards the SD4000 on this very forum.

I'm not bothered by all the razzmatazz for the most part and genuinely like some of their designs and developments and think they are a very good modern day auto, but not for the money new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    It's all cyclical, what used to irritate me was one shop (and that's what they are, shops) telling me that there was a 3 year waiting list for a Submariner 5513, when there was one sat in the window of another shop on the other side of Bond Street. I went to pains to point out he could practically see it from the desk he was sitting at!!
    I have no issue with Rolex or their products, but it's all getting a bit pretentious imho.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I don't get that one.

Why didn't you just go over the road and buy that one?

Instead of having a go at the sales person, who's only parrot repeating what they are told to say and saving you the frustration of this 'massive issue'