closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Single Red Seadweller

Craftsman

Single Red Seadweller

Hello all,
    Popped into WoS today and asked if there was a waiting list for the new watch, there was but they closed it the same day as the announcement at Basel World😩
    Has anyone on the forum ordered one?
    I will be putting a WTB on one of these, I just wonder when these filter into the secondary market?
    Browjam

Master
    I spoke to a dealer the other day. Small, independent Rolex AD and their waiting list is currently at 40 people. All this talk about it being a monstrosity and deviating too far from what an SD should look like hasn't dampened the enthusiasm (of buyers and speculators) by the looks of things.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I am first on the list.

Craftsman
    I wish I was. I called goldsmiths to enquire about the list I've been on for the past 5 months ( I'm not saying this is a long time) to see if it rolled over for the new SD. I was told it does and I'll be called in due course. They wouldn't give me numbers as to where I was on the list nor how big it was. They also didn't have any idea on what allocation they will be getting.
    Pretty helpless in all honesty.

Craftsman
    Would like see one in the flesh - let's see when they filter through.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    I wish I was. I called goldsmiths to enquire about the list I've been on for the past 5 months ( I'm not saying this is a long time) to see if it rolled over for the new SD. I was told it does and I'll be called in due course. They wouldn't give me numbers as to where I was on the list nor how big it was. They also didn't have any idea on what allocation they will be getting.
    Pretty helpless in all honesty.
    There's some BS in there. Goldsmiths have totally centralised their Rolex listings to stop buyers from the continent buying up the limited release models. They used to have individual store lists on iPads but now Aurum holds one central list and you go through a vetting process once they have stock. They treat customers who have purchased from them with priority over those who haven't.

I only know this as I was bemused when I found out a watch I was on the list for will be affected by this, so the head Rolex operative for the company called me this afternoon.

I wanted to believe everything he said but who knows, although his reasoning seemed very viable and there were no pauses when he was telling me everything.

Ordered same day as announced paid a 20% deposit which to me makes more sense than just filling lists as shows committed enthusiast/ collector rather than opportunist

might be getting to see in flesh in June when AD gets one for display

Personally I can live with the cyclops and love the Red

The big question is whether I sell the SDC which wears so well

Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Would like see one in the flesh - let's see when they filter through.
    Must admit would like to see more pics of the SDR and some reviews ideally including a comparison with how it compares to the deepsea.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    There's some BS in there. Goldsmiths have totally centralised their Rolex listings to stop buyers from the continent buying up the limited release models. They used to have individual store lists on iPads but now Aurum holds one central list and you go through a vetting process once they have stock.
    I agree with this Wayne, when I rang Goldsmiths in Liverpool One the other week to see where I was on the Daytona list they advised me that the central lists were held at head office and when a watch came in it contained the details of the person it was allocated to.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Ordered same day as announced paid a 20% deposit which to me makes more sense than just filling lists as shows committed enthusiast/ collector rather than opportunist

Same. 20% Deposit paid so hopefully should get it in late June.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I agree with this Wayne, when I rang Goldsmiths in Liverpool One the other week to see where I was on the Daytona list they advised me that the central lists were held at head office and when a watch came in it contained the details of the person it was allocated to.
    That's what WoS in Glasgow told me there other day too. They also said that if said lucky git didn't want it, or they couldn't make contact with them, HQ would then tell them who was next on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I am first on the list.

Did you get that in writing from Rolex?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post

Do you ever get anything in writing from Rolex? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Do you ever get anything in writing from Rolex? ;-)

...which was partly my point in asking the (somewhat facile I will admit) question Alan.....at this stage I refuse to believe that AD have a clue at what Rolex will allocate them and when. Saying "I'm no. 1 on the list" is nothing to hang your hat on I would respectfully suggest.....

"....go through a vetting process once they have stock. They treat customers who have purchased from them with priority over those who haven't. "

For goodness sake. Surely to help first time buyers it should be the other way around? Talk about being up your own ar*e.

Master
    I agree Gareth, ADs definitely have their favourites and you can guarantee that they will suddenly move up the list to number 1 should the mood take them.
    I do wonder about Aurums new tactic of centralising "the list". Could be one of two things.

1. They know that individual ADs are favouring those they choose and want to stop that.
    2. They want to ensure people who order pieces don't get onto several lists.

My AD told me that the names they were asked to send to head office for inclusion on "the list" would be cross referenced with other ADs and if the were found to have put their names down on more than 1 list, they would be excluded.

Might be true, might be BS, but again who's to say?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    "....go through a vetting process once they have stock. They treat customers who have purchased from them with priority over those who haven't. "

For goodness sake. Surely to help first time buyers it should be the other way around? Talk about being up your own ar*e.
    Hey I never said I agreed with it, but clearly the prices in the UK aren't high enough to be stopping the watches all heading to the continent so in some ways, at least it's more likely that enthusiasts will end up buying the watches. Still not guaranteed though.

I know in America, I've heard of people having to pass approval to purchase limited edition Omega models; in fact that seems very common there although I don't know what is expected for you to actually get through and hand over your thousands of dollars. It is all a bit mad.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I don't know what is expected for you to actually get through and hand over your thousands of dollars. It is all a bit mad.
    At least they don't require you to have ejected from an aircraft...

Master
    Someone on here said on another thread that their AD had been told production would be freely available for this model, they expected 30-40 pieces quite soon. Could be nonsense, but imagine being one of the early birds paying £14k at WF or somewhere only to see several in windows the next week.

This is like when Apple bring out the latest phone. People queue all night and get their picture in the paper and you see it and think 'awww'. Then you see them on eBay for plenty of cash. A week later you order yours from the comfort of your armchair.

Craftsman
    only going by what I've been told by goldsmiths in Birmingham and merry hill.

Mark

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    No need.

Craftsman
    Not a limited edition then?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Not a limited edition then?
    Nope, Rolex don't really do limited editions.
    Last edited by Middo; 29th March 2017 at 08:46.

But what about someone that just wants to buy a watch?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

What a ridiculous suggestion 😉

completely agree do you remember those heady days when you looked in your AD's window as you were passing and looked at a Sub next to and SD surrounded by GMT's and Daytona's and you thought hmmm quite fancy one of those think I will pop in and see which one i like best.

sadly those days are long gone as demand outstrips supply.

completely agree do you remember those heady days when you looked in your AD's window as you were passing and looked at a Sub next to and SD surrounded by GMT's and Daytona's and you thought hmmm quite fancy one of those think I will pop in and see which one i like best.

No. I remember the days of waiting 6 months for an Explorer II to come into stock, and there being a very limited display of sports Rolex models. At least you could order any model and know it would come in soon, with the possible exception of the Daytona.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

I do question of the point of ADs sometime. I went in to the one on old bond Street, the salesman proceeded to take me through a brochure. One of the main points of shops is that you get to examine the product in person. ADs seem more like Argos than a real shop, only Argos stock what they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    No. I remember the days of waiting 6 months for an Explorer II to come into stock, and there being a very limited display of sports Rolex models. At least you could order any model and know it would come in soon, with the possible exception of the Daytona.
    Its all got a bit too much with current ordering process and does take some of the joy out of it but "it is what it is".

but I do vividly recall our local AD in sunny Southport in 2003 having a 16610 and a 16600 side by side admittedly the Daytona was a TT as was the GMT

I ordered a 16613 Blue and it arrived next day from Manchester shop and the whole experience was very enjoyable.

Master
    I enquired about the new SD and possible new GMT with a local AD about 12 days before Basle and asked to be put on the list for the SD

From the conversation I had, it appeared that I was the first to enquire about either.

A day after the Basle release, I phoned again to try to get clarification on allocation.
    I was told that following the news of the new SD, a further 7 had asked to be put on the list for one.

The dealer didn't appear to know what allocation they would be getting and was very cagey as the where I was on the list.

I specifically asked whether regular buyers (I am not one) would be given priority.
    He didn't really answer the question (just like a politician) and I got the distinct impression that I would be way down the list, but live in hope.

I'll probably wait for a few weeks to see if they call me with news (not holding my breath), but will probably chase them in a couple of weeks.

The dealer did say that he anticipated deliveries to begin around August/September, but I think that was just guesswork on his part.

Craftsman

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I am first on the list.
    If you should decide it was not the right watch for you, please let me know... :D

I'm 12 on the list with my AD. Not sure what that will mean in terms of availability but I guess it won't be until much later into next year.

Master
    There's hope, if history repeats. The AD I used in Norway got seven SD4k's in his first batch 2 months after Basel.

A bit of a heads up and this seems like a good place to put it. I bought a watch last week from the Hororogy Hub in Edinburgh and left a recommendation in H&V.

Looking at the site tonight, Stuart has a SS white faced Daytona (116520), a Hulk and what looks like a very neat and tidy 1665 SD Great White - a better buy than new in my opinion.

https://horologyhub.com/shop/

No affiliation, but I was seriously impressed.

i have just spotted this on ebay at 14.5 crazy!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...p2045573.m1684

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post

And so the madness starts......

I'm not on the list, but I'm not really bothered.

I'm not on the list, but I'm not really bothered.
    Same here need to see it in the flesh!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    And so the madness starts......

So "dave" must be "no.1 on my AD's list......."

Is he on TZ?!

k and what looks like a very neat and tidy 1665 SD Great White - a better buy than new in my opinion.

Having been fortunate enough to see that watch in person a few weeks back, it really is a stunner

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A bit of a heads up and this seems like a good place to put it. I bought a watch last week from the Hororogy Hub in Edinburgh and left a recommendation in H&V.

Looking at the site tonight, Stuart has a SS white faced Daytona (116520), a Hulk and what looks like a very neat and tidy 1665 SD Great White - a better buy than new in my opinion.

No affiliation, but I was seriously impressed.
    Thats my old 1665. Its immaculate.
    And, can't recommend Stuart enough. He knows his stuff inside out and is a great guy to deal with.

I'm surprised you let that one go, it's a beauty !

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It is but always lost out to the 1675. I like to use the watches I own so a safedweller wasn't working for me :)

Erm... you people do realise that there's already a single red Sea-Dweller out there, no?

Ed Delgado: The Single Red Sea-Dweller

Due to its obvious compensatory characteristics, "D-Sweller" is the only real contender for this engorged version — if it indeed really does need a cutesy nickname. :P

Master
    [QUOTE=W44NNE;4297594]I spoke to a dealer the other day. Small, independent Rolex AD and their waiting list is currently at 40 people. All this talk about it being a monstrosity and deviating too far from what an SD should look like hasn't dampened the enthusiasm (of buyers and speculators) by the looks of things.[/QUOTE

I was in my local AD yesterday and they already have a waiting list of 13.

The simple truth is that Rolex know their business better than a bunch of keyboard critics.

One for ale on eBay £14450

Says gets it in July etc

Shows that the bull about keeping guarantee etc is just that