closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solar panels

Hybrid View

Master

Solar panels

I'm considering installing some solar panels, and have been trawling around the web for information, without much 'first-hand' information available.

Any members have solar panels installed?

It's a roof installation that I'm considering, we own the house so no issues with mortgages etc, and it's a single house.

Any experience of return on investment, reliability in UK weather etc much appreciated.

Lots of info here
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/uti...e-solar-panels

Over 20yr payback period? I'd give it a miss
    Last edited by Brighty; 28th March 2017 at 11:54.

We had them fitted in june 2014, in terms of payments we've had about £2.5k and looking at the electric statements we've probably save around 5-10%. I know the tariffs went down just after we installed them, but we've been very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    We had them fitted in june 2014, in terms of payments we've had about £2.5k and looking at the electric statements we've probably save around 5-10%. I know the tariffs went down just after we installed them, but we've been very happy.
    Yeah tariffs are 4p now, down from 12p, so your £2.5k would be £800 now, don't think the sums add up nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Yeah tariffs are 4p now, down from 12p, so your £2.5k would be £800 now, don't think the sums add up nowadays
    Blimey, didn't realise how far it had fallen. I think we are another couple of years away from break even (iirc we paid under 4.5k as we did it the same time as the loft conversion/roof raise).

I wouldn't bother now, although I see a lot of new builds in my area seem to have them built in so I assumed there was still some financial benefit.

We have sacked the idea off for our new extension.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Blimey, didn't realise how far it had fallen. I think we are another couple of years away from break even (iirc we paid under 4.5k as we did it the same time as the loft conversion/roof raise).

I wouldn't bother now, although I see a lot of new builds in my area seem to have them built in so I assumed there was still some financial benefit.
    The solar panels have more than likely been installed because it is a planning requirement under the Local Authority sustainability policy rather than the financial benefit it brings to the household.

I agree with the majority that solar panels are no longer a good investment, even if you could take advantage of occupying the property and using a high volume of energy when the solar panels are at peak production.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Lots of info here
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/uti...e-solar-panels

Over 20yr payback period? I'd give it a miss
    Had a good read of that, thanks. Looks like I've missed the boat.

They are bloody ugly too!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    We've had them for a couple of years now. In absolute terms the 'payment' we get for FIT and Generation come to a few hundred pounds a year and the savings we make on our bills are variable.
    When we had the electric car and were charging every day it saved us a ton - effectively running the car for free as our electricity bill actually went down over the course of time. Now we no longer have the leaf we are in the 'hysteresis' period for bills and hope to see a big drop once the meter readings start dragging the average lower.

Is it worth it? Would I buy them again? Probably not.